Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Mother of All Posts, Part V
#79762 01/31/05 06:19 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Now... Will this be publish as a paperback or hardcover?

~Jaime

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
Re: The Mother of All Posts, Part V
#79763 01/31/05 06:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow - great read.

You really put me to shame. I (along with most other men) consider myself to be a pre-eminent gerry-rigger. You, sir are no gerry-rigger, but are instead a master craftsman of sorts.

It seems that nothing is "off the rack" for you, and that everything has its own personal "tweak." I can really appreciate how much time and energy went into making all of this work (and work perfectly). For me, it's usually "close is good enough."

So, I guess my next question is, when will you have time to just sit on your couch and enjoy a Sunday afternoon LOTR marathon?

Re: The Mother of All Posts, Part I
#79764 01/31/05 07:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sweet Jesus, that's a post. Nice review.

1) Nice job on the custom QS8 mounts.
2) That Target cubit system looks pretty decent. I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't a Salamander.

#79765 01/31/05 07:30 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Mark
about all i can say is WOW! That is certain nomination for "greatest post ever" and a shoe-in for "longest post ever". Great read though. I can't imagine how long that must have taken to organize, as it flowed very well.

Lots of good info in there for newbies (and "oldbies" alike).

Last edited by sidvicious02; 01/31/05 07:30 PM.

"Chickens don't clap."
#79766 01/31/05 07:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I too, enjoyed your Axiom thesis.....I'm certain you will get an "A".

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#79767 01/31/05 07:39 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
shareholder in the making
John Wrote:
In reply to:

I notice you have a couple of windows in the HT. Don't suppose any of those open onto the back yard do they ? I forgot to mention the other obvious option for dealing with room modes -- punch out one wall and put a small addition on to give you a room with more appropriate dimensions.

Unfortunately, that would be the direction we least likely could expand towards…. Unless we wanted to overhang the street! We certainly have considered expanding in other directions, though!

Ummm, the other John wrote:
In reply to:

when you set the M60s "large", what is the subwoofer mode on the 3805 set to? If LFE, then the 350 gets LFE from 5.1 material(if any)plus the below 100 Hz bass from the QS8s and VP150. If the mode is set LFE+Main, M60s run full-range and the 350 also doubles the M60 bass below 100Hz.

You know, john, I had to read your short post a couple of times to make sure I was reading this correctly. If I am, then it's an aspect of bass management that I was not understanding correctly.

My thoughts were that (with the 60s set to large):

Having the sub set to "LFE" would allow it to only receive the .1 "LFE" channel…. No matter whether the other speakers were set to large or small.
And I thought that having the sub set to "LFE+Main" would allow the sub to produce the .1 "LFE" channel as well as the bass from any of the other "main" speakers that were set to small.

This is interesting! As soon as I wake up a bit (two hours sleep last night) I'm going to wrap my head around this and take out the trusty 'ole SPL Meter and…. Oh, God… what am I saying????

Steve (Engine Joe) wrote:
In reply to:

As a general matter, we found that it sounded "least bad" across the spectrum of gear if we mixed to the lowest common denominator

Although I'm positive that I'm nowhere near your league in terms of experience, I have to do the same pretty often as well. In Video Production, the audio editing is frequently done to make sure it sounds "OK" with the people watching a 13" B&W in their kitchen, not those people with the good home theater!

I think some people wish they had a knob that went to "11" on their compressor!

Adrien wrote:
In reply to:

So, I guess my next question is, when will you have time to just sit on your couch and enjoy a Sunday afternoon LOTR marathon?

Unfortunately, I've had very little time to enjoy the system yet (I work 18 hours most days… minus the 20X I check the Axiom boards!)! I've only watched three DVDs since I got the DLP at the end of November (I have five or six movies that sit on the DVR's HD taking up space). Music has fared a bit better…. But I'm really ready to start enjoying it now!

OldSkoolBoarder wrote:
In reply to:

I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't a Salamander.

Thank you and it's funny you say that, because lately I've been seeing ads for Salamander furniture that jump out at me for the same reason. For just a split second, my brain does a double-take!

Scott wrote:
In reply to:

shoe-in for "longest post ever"

Well, there's been all this bragging from people who tout thousands of posts… It's my aim to catch up in stature by lobbying Amie to re-write the rules so those with the most pages get the higher ranks!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#79768 02/01/05 06:15 PM
aficionado
aficionado
mark, when i lived in sunapee the were no people in cahncard like you; you must be a transplant. this fabulous post should also find its way to some of the other forums. terrific job.

#79769 02/01/05 09:16 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Mark: One question- have the movie rights to your post been optioned yet?

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to write. I live in Vermont so we Yankees understand what the loooong winter can do to our minds.

Chuck

#79770 02/01/05 11:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Mark,
Fantastic Job! All of it. If you weren't on the other side of the country I would buy you a beer or two....
I have already filed this away for future reference.
I am going to need this one day!
Cheers,
Shaun

#79771 02/03/05 12:06 AM
veteran
veteran
Thank-you Mark!!

A most amazing post!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard