Print Thread
Rate Thread
System Finally Complete
#80389 02/03/05 07:20 AM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
First, I had the Axioms in my home but no subwoofer. Then I returned the Axioms and two days later my SVS arrived.

My Evo's are due to arrive at the local audio shop tomorrow and I will pick them up after work. Finally, I will have a complete system.

I have been impressed with the SVS PB-12ISD so far. I have to keep the gain almost all the way down. I am not sure if hardwood floors make a difference in gain etc., but I sure don't need to turn up the gain. I have been trying to lock down a rattle for two days but still cannot find it. I think it's maybe coming from the inside of the RPTV but I just can't localize the source. It is really frustrating!

I want to extend one final thanks to those who participate in this forum. I credit this forum for my making some of the decisions I did...and I even got to laugh during the process. I belong to two other forums; but this forum always provides the most informative, detailed, useful information.

Re: System Finally Complete
#80390 02/03/05 01:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You're welcome, Mike. Please let us know what you think of the Evos, when you've got everything set up and tuned in.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#80391 02/03/05 06:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Which Evo's?

I have a VTF2 and I put a small rug under it per some recs from Hsu. I also have hardwood floors.

#80392 02/03/05 07:49 PM
devotee
devotee
Hey KC_Mike. It's likely that the rattle is coming from subsonic signals...or close to, say the 20-40 Hz range. I was able to lock down a rattle by using Rives Audio Test CD 2 (http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html). I played the cd @ the 20 Hz signal and was able to easily pinpoint the rattle as there was no other sounds disrupting me.

It was funny...its was a bathroom mirror down the hall and around the corner. Now thats impressive bass!

"We're on the island of Misfit Toys"
#80393 02/03/05 11:08 PM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
Evo-30's, Evo center, and Evo DFS surrounds.

#80394 02/04/05 05:38 AM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
Ahhhhh...at last. I am sitting here sipping a Woodford Reserve and coke and listening to Pink Floyd. Sounds real nice. I finally get to hear the SVS with music. I have nothing to compare it to (at least in my house), but it doesn't seem boomy. I think I need to play with the phase, but will do that tomorrow after I get my hands on a setup DVD and an SPL meter from radio shack.

The dealer says the Evo's will sound better after 100 hrs of play time. Supposedly the kevlar drivers loose some rigidity and the sound will 'open up'. It almost makes sense with kevlar. I agree that kevlar can loosen up with movement/wear/stretching. Whether or not it changes the sound is another story.

I am eager to give the Evo surrounds a good listen tommorrow. I want to see how they compare to the QS8's...which I thought were amazing. If the Evo surrounds don't stack up, I might order a pair of QS8's. The cool thing is that Wharfedale recently changed their rosewood finish....the ones I just picked up today are much less red than the ones I was used to seeing. They are now darker and more like mahogony...fairly close to Axiom's boston cherry. So, if I do end up getting QS8's, they will blend right in.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044