Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: David Gilmour In Concert dvd
#80416 02/03/05 09:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Fair enough. I can certainly understand that view, but for all of the bitterness and venom, he's remarkable at articulating an idea. The clarity of the rage and sarcasm are unnerving. I find it pretty listenable, but I definitely have to be in the right mood.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#80417 02/03/05 09:45 PM
devotee
devotee
Man, I get heartburn about this......When I was in my early highschool days, I was given an opportunity to see Pink Floyd, so I took it. I really didn't know much about them, but it sounded wild. I remember that it was a good show and the theatrics were a blast, but I still really didn't know their material very well........About 15 years later, I would give anything to see that concert again.

As far as the band getting together, including Waters, I'm not holding my breath. If anything, I could see them reuniting w/ just Gilmore. The magazine that released the rumor, "Q", said in that story that the band management told them directly that there is no plans to tour.

However, we can continue to hope. I would go to that show, no matter what it took....Actually, my wife and I would go no matter what it took. In the last year or so, I got her into Floyd...to the point that she often plays them more than me. Can't beat that....

#80418 02/03/05 09:53 PM
devotee
devotee
I'm with you DMN. Waters may not have the most amazing voice, but it is distinct and it's the message and it's delivery that's enthralling. There were many a night in college where the Final Cut accompanied a good blurry night of excess. I still listen to it and The Wall periodically, but it is when I'm in that mindset....perhaps after a few coctails and a long day. Hmmmm....perhaps today is one of those days.

#80419 02/03/05 10:03 PM
local
local
I definitely have an appreciation for what Waters brought to the table (a VERY large share of what made mid-to-late era Floyd successful). And through Animals, I think the balance of Waters and the other forces in the band are fabulous. That gritty, snarky sarcasm you mention is very present, and very appropriate. Course, I also like the pre-snarky Pink Floyd (though I can't say I like "More" very much).

The Wall is where things get iffy for me. I actually really enjoy the album - tremendously - but it is remarkably self-indulgent. And The Final Cut, to me, just went over the edge with that indulgence.

I'm no great fan of Gilmour's work, either - his first solo album, which I bought as a teen, disappointed me. His post-Waters Floyd albums are not anything to write home about either.

So the conclusion I came to is that the creative forces of the band had a synergy that raised them all up higher - a sort of "greater than the sum of its parts" situation. But that balance tipped... and I just would be very surprised if 20 years on, they'd be able to recreate that synergy.

---- A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing... M60s, VP150, QS8s, EP350 Onkyo TX-SR702, Denon DVD-3910
#80420 02/03/05 10:54 PM
bray Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
For myself, I like almost everything theyve done together and apart.
One of the main reasons they broke up was Gimour thought it had become to much about the lyrics and not enough about the music, and Waters thought there had become a "wall" between the audience and the band whitch Gilmour didnt see.
In some ways I agree with both. On the other hand I miss some of the hard line lyrics that Waters wrote.
Gilmour (IMO) is a great guitarist, and Waters (IMO) is a great lyricist.
I believe that if they were able to work out their differeces, they would be as good as before.
I saw Floyd twice before Waters left and twice after he left and I enjoyed all 4 shows equally.
I miss them! Pre and post Waters seperation from the group.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#80421 02/03/05 11:01 PM
local
local
One of the main reasons they broke up was Gimour thought it had become to much about the lyrics and not enough about the music,

I read that in that recent special issue of MOJO. I tend to agree. Especially on Final Cut. Roger, in fact, seems to agree to a certain extent, but he seems to be fine with that - the message he has to tell is more important than the music to him... whereas for Gilmour, it was the other way around.

So be it! Some people like certain artists because of their lyrics/poetry/perspective. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just a music first guy. Always have been.

I will agree that seeing post-Waters Floyd live was still pretty great. 3rd row at Soldier Field made for a fabulous experience.

---- A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing... M60s, VP150, QS8s, EP350 Onkyo TX-SR702, Denon DVD-3910
#80422 02/03/05 11:04 PM
bray Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Whats funny is that Gilmour is married to a writer.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#80423 02/04/05 12:10 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Just for the hell of it I was able to buy the Pulse DVD on ebay. I will chime back in when I go to the post office to pick it up... I have the vhs version.

Says its in 5.1. I will respond to let you all know if the quality is there.

Josh Turney- EP350,VP100,M22ti mains,QS4 surrounds,M3Ti rear surrounds
#80424 02/04/05 12:10 PM
devotee
devotee
Let us know how that goes. My understanding was that all of those Pulse DVDs out there for sale are just transfers of the VHS material onto VCDs and DVDs. Some of the listings actually state this. But, then again, some of them look lugit.

#80425 02/04/05 02:44 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
I dont remember where I read it at but I believe the Pulse DvD already came out on a very limited release and has since been discontinued, and from what I remember it was rather pricey, over $100 usd.
If you find out diffrent let us know.
I was also wanting that and The Delicate Sound of Thunder.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters