Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
should I buy an ep500 subwoofer
#80580 02/05/05 04:16 AM
colleen Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
My system is only for music. I bought 2 M60ti speakers a couple of weeks ago. I had a 20 years Rotel Receiver and the fuses blew out on the night I received my Axiom's. I bought a Denon DRA-685 that same night. The next day, I changed the fuses and the Rotel started playing again. I will put the Rotel in my room and will be looking for speakers for it later on... My MI60 sound awesome with my new Denon, very powerful. Now, I want to get a subwoofer and I need advise. I have been spending evenings reading many posts on this wonderful site. I have learned a lot but am a bit confused. Eventually, I hope, I will have something intelligent to say but for know I need your advice. I read a lot about calibrating subs but don't think I can do it myself. So my question is, would I be better off buying a subwoofer from a retailer nearbuy, say a Paradigm PW-2100 and have them set it up for me or should I plunge and buy a EP500? I would prefer to buy the EP500 because the cabinet finish is much nicer but it may not be that important. My system is on the main floor and the house is recent and the main floor area is all open. I think the accoustic is quite good. Do you know of anyone in the North Montreal that could eventually help me with this setup?

Re: should I buy an ep500 subwoofer
#80581 02/05/05 04:48 AM
shareholder in the making
Welcome Colleen

I'm jealous, I wish I was thinking about getting an EP500, but I just got my EP350 not that long ago, and not sure I could convince the boss (wife) Anyway, you could check the "Auditioning in your Area" thread in the Questions and answers area to see if there is anybody close to assist. I don't think our going to have a problem, more than likely you'll be able to plug that puppy in and enjoy. It is not rocket science

good luck on your selection.

ps: the EP500 and 600 are just tooooo cool....

Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#80582 02/05/05 04:49 AM
Colleen, welcome. You indicate that you're a little confused and uncertain about calibrating a sub, but don't indicate specifically what's concerning you. Calibrating basically just involves setting the sub level control so that the sub level is about equal to the level of the M60s and isn't so loud that it draws attention to itself as a separate sound source. Lots of people simply do this by ear, although that often results in the sub being set too high because they want to "hear" what they paid for. Better is to use a meter, such as the one from RadioShack, to balance the sound. This isn't terribly complicated and I don't really think that the setup procedure should dictate what you buy.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#80583 02/05/05 05:16 AM
colleen Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks Sirquack and JohnK. You know I am very excited about being here with all of you wonderful people. I've always liked listening to music but now with these monitors I'm blowed away, I don't want to miss out on anything. I certaintly do not want to ear what I paid for, especially from a sub. I just want to make sure I can get the most out of my system.

#80584 02/05/05 05:51 AM
veteran
veteran
Welcome Colleen! I just upgraded from the ep350 the 500 and cannot say enough good things about it. Simply put, it lends itself well to both music and movies. The area it sits in is really a combination of three rooms - formal living that opens up to breakfast area in back; left side is wall; right side opens up to sitting area. All in all from front to back measures 37', right to left measures 45', with 9' ceilings, giving this monster plenty of room to breath. Having said that, if I only listened to music, I would not have upgraded as the 350 was perfect for my listen habbits. But where it fell short was in HT, just could not go low enough. I quess what I am saying is if you only want a sub for music and having a matching finish in important, you might want to audition the 350. But whatever route you chose, you won't be disappointed in either one.

Good luck!

Axiom stuff, Denon stuff, & Sony stuff
#80585 02/05/05 01:28 PM
devotee
devotee
Hi Colleen,
Welcome!
I just bought some M60s, along with an EP350, SV150, M2i's and Qs8's and am just amazed with all.
I will probably get shouted down by the Sub Freaks on these pages, but I cannot imagine needing anything more than the EP350 brings to the table.
My listening is split pretty evenly between music and movies, and the 350 blends beautifully with the M60's on music, and gives me everthing that I could want for Home Theater. I have a pretty big room, 28X16 w/ vaulted ceilings at the end where the stereo is set up.
The 350 plays plenty loud when I want it to in HT, and I just turn it down a bit when I'm just listening to music.
The set up, with the Radio Shack sound meter and the Avia calibration disc, couldn't be easier, but I was quite surprised at how close to my final settings on the sub I was compared to just doing it by ear. (The calibration on the Qs8's on the other hand really did make quite a difference!)
The one thing that did make a difference, and that I had always thought to be counter-intuitive, was to make sure that I had the main speakers set to the "small" setting on my reciever, which in my case means that everything below 90 hz (?) is sent to the Sub. I had always thought that if my speakers were big enough that there was no reason not to let them go as low as they could go. But setting them to "small" really made a big difference in how well the M60s and the EP350 blended together.
Anyway, this was more a post to let you know that there are indeed people out there that have a 350, and think it does a great job, in contrast to some of the sub freaks out there who can never get enough!
Of course, if money is no object, you can always buy the 500, and just not turn it up as much!
I'll sign off now and wait for the howling from the Sub Monsters to commence! ;-)
TjB

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#80586 02/05/05 05:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Colleen, and welcome to the nicest audio board on the planet.

I also have EP350 and couldn't be happier. I'll just echo all of Seabear's comments.

Now that they are using the newer driver in the 350 I think it is even more attractive.

No matter what, you can't go wrong, it's all about individual choices and enjoying this great hobby, or should I say "addiction" .

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
#80587 02/05/05 05:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hi Collen. Nice to have you here. One of the things that you should consider when deciding which sub to buy, is how much air the sub will have to move. If you could give us the size of your room WxLxH, and the size of any adjoining spaces like a dining area, or foyer, which are open to your primary listening area, we'd be better able to give you some advice on which direction to go. With those dimensions we can figure the cubic footage of you space, and give you an idea of what will work in that space.

Another question is, does your receiver have a subwoofer RCA output jack. Or, would you be running speaker wire from your receiver to the sub, and then from the sub to the speakers. This would tell us whether you would be using the crossover in the receiver (if it has one) or the crossover in the subwoofer.

I'll echo JohnK's statement that balancing your sub to your Axioms is NOT complicated. I'm not familiar with your receiver, but if it has a speaker setup menu, it will probably provide some test tones. They and a Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level Meter. would be all that is necessary to balance things.

If your receiver doesn't have test tones, something like the Sound & Vision disk would do the job. This disc will walk you through the whole process.

If you use the tones in your receiver, here are some tutorials that will give you an idea of how to do the job.

Essential Accessories: The Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level Meter

A Quick Overview of Home Theater Calibration

And, of course, everybody here would be glad to help you in any way we can.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#80588 02/05/05 07:39 PM
colleen Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hello Ajax,
My living room, where I listen to music is about 12 by 16 feet, the dining room is adjoining and mesures 11 by 10 feet. The total size of the main floor, all open space, is about 4500 cubic feet. I do not have a RCA Sub out on my receiver. So if I understand want your saying, I have to connect the sub with speaker wire to the receiver and I also have to connect the sub to both mains?
Thanks a lot,

Colleen

#80589 02/05/05 07:55 PM
Just to one of the mains I believe, subwoofers are a mono signal.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup