Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OT: Refurb PCs from eCost?
#80825 02/07/05 01:28 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Sorry about the OT topic, but I trust your opinions!

There has been much discussion about refurbed Denon products from eCost. Anyone ever buy a refurb HP from them?

My in-laws want a new computer and they do nothing but e-mail and web….literally. At this point, even AOL is sluggish and "non upgradeable" on the PC I gave them several years ago. They're in their sixties and the sort of folks that pay cash for things and would almost live the Amish life if given half a chance , so they want something inexpensive and simple. I'm sure if I paid more than $700 they would look at me like I bought them a new Lexus!

I've often wondered about a refurbed PC from eCost. Anyone ever try one or have alternate suggestions? I'm the "computer guy" of the family, so I'll be taking care of the purchase and installation!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: OT: Refurb PCs from eCost?
#80826 02/07/05 02:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark, I'm a far cry from a computer geek, but I've had a Dell, for about 3 years now, that I've been very happy with. Here is a Dell with a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 processor, 512 MB of memory, a 40 GB hard drive, and a 17 inch CRT monitor for $589 (after a 10%, instant off discount). If they already have a serviceable monitor, they can knock $45 off the price. There is a free upgrade from a CD Rom drive to a CD-RW drive included in the price.

It comes with WordPerfect, but for $26 you can upgrade to Microsoft Works Suite which has Microsoft Word, and several other programs. The price also includes a 2 year warranty, 2 years of in home service, and 2 years Technical support.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#80827 02/07/05 02:47 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Let me give you another thought. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Macintosh user, but my wife pretty much dominates it during the school year (2nd grade teacher). As a result, we needed a second computer in the den and I opted for a PC (for alot of different reasons).

A friend put me on to an alternative approach to acquiring a PC - Bare Bones Kits. I am now on my 2nd of these things (upgrade). My friend assembled the first 2 for me, but I believe I could do it myself for the next one. Saved LOTS of money and got only what I wanted instead of one of those package deals. (Why pay for a burner if you don't intend to use it or a monitor if you already have one?)

Take a look here for a sample of available kits. If you are handy with PCs, this might be a nice solution for you. I am partial to Soyo, but they have others. I believe these folks also have refurb/open box equipment if you are interested.

Ray

#80828 02/07/05 03:35 PM
OP Offline
Geeez, Ray, where 'ya sendin' me? The link didn't work and even a straight "Tigerdirect.com" didn't work!

Seriously, I don't think I'd have much time to assemble something, and I'm not 100% confident that I could do it problem-free. I really need to spend my time programming my MX-700 now, don't I?

Jack- I like the idea of that Dell. I've always liked the fact that Dell evidently doesn't load their PCs up with a bunch of crap that my in-laws don't need. It's about the same price I was planning for ( once I upgraded their 15" CRT with a 17" ) as well.

Thanks for all the input guys, even though one proved to be excellent advice and one was, well, just kinda useless.

Runnin' and hidin' as Ray tees up a Titleist and goes for the longest drive ever- right at my skull from two states away!!

#80829 02/07/05 03:46 PM
local
local
Mark I've had good experience with the Dell Outlet. The Dell Outlet sells refurbished systems which are generally just slightly out of date models. You can search the listings to find units pretty much fully configured for your purposes minus a monitor. I like getting a system loaded with all the sofware upgrades I'm looking for bundled under the Dell warranty for less than the catalog price on non-upgraded systems.

Mark
#80830 02/07/05 04:05 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Mark,

I will preface my statement by stating that I DO work for Dell.

But, my experience with many manufacturers over the years (Gateway, HP, Compaq, etc...) will have me give the same advice...check into Dell.

The deal mentioned early is a steal for what they would want to use it for, not to mention, probably make it light years faster than what they have now (no disrespect to your supplying them with the first computer).

Either the main page or the Outlet would be a good avenue...one point on the Outlet though, compare prices very carefully...although they are throughly refurbished, why by something "used" when you can get something "brand-new" for a better price? I buy from the Outlet too...but sometimes the deals on the main page are considerably better...

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#80831 02/07/05 04:17 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
OK Mr. smarty pants!

You might also look at the new Mac Mini Apple just introduced.

#80832 02/07/05 04:24 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ray,

I have also worked on my share of Mac's (primarily in education environments...did not like them at all at the time...kids can really abuse Mac's )

But the new ones I have seen (and the limited use I have made of the ones they put in Schlotzsky's restaurants), do have me looking at them again with a different perspective.

My family would kill me if I put a Mac in the house though! They have enough trouble when I leave Linux running (although my son has figured that out ).

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#80833 02/07/05 04:27 PM
OP Offline
And now, Ray wants me to teach them a new platform?

Once again, thanks for the other suggestions!

Ray? I dunno, dude. When it comes to Denon stuff and that remote you sell out of your car trunk you're "The Man". But you're having on off-Monday on this one!

(In case there's a newbie here that thinks I'm just being obnoxious....well, you're probably right. But I do consider Ray a friend and this is all meant in good fun! )

#80834 02/07/05 04:40 PM
local
local
I add my voice to the Mac Mini line. We have 2 Macs and 2 PCs in the house and the PCs have been collecting increasingly more dust in the last year or so...

---- A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing... M60s, VP150, QS8s, EP350 Onkyo TX-SR702, Denon DVD-3910
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup