Bigger Room... Speaker Upgrade
#81127 02/09/05 08:19 PM
J
regular
OP Offline
regular
J
Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for a few suggestions to some of my concerns. I have moved, over the summer my HT from a tiny room (11x9) to the finished basement which is a (20x17) room.

Also, In December, I also upgraded my receiver from a long in the tooth Onkyo TX-D656 to a Pioneer Elite 54TX, and I upgraded my surrounds, because when I moved my system to the basement, the old surrounds had a huge bass hole that was totally obvious.

I want to upgrade the 3 front speakers because what I have now are not cutting it in this new room. I currently have Infinity Reference 2000 series bookshelves; I believe the model is a 2000.3, and an older model Infinity Center speaker.

I’m looking at 2 lines of speakers… The Paradigm Monitor 11 and Axiom M60 and there respective center speakers.

That’s it, I have unzipped my fly for all to see.

Am I on the right track.

Re: Bigger Room... Speaker Upgrade
#81128 02/09/05 08:44 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i think you are definitely on the "right track".. although, feel free to zip your pants back up.

i wish i had some great words of wisdom to offer, but i dont. i have never heard any of the paradigm monitor series, so i cant say how the monitor 11's sound. i have heard the paradigm performance series(titan,phantom) and my M60's definitely blow both of them out of the water.

i can say that my M60's(and my entire HT system) are some of the best speakers i have ever heard. they have exceptional clarity, and a terrificaly wide and enveloping soundstage. highs are very clean and accurate, mids are tight and effective, and lows are solid and powerful. sonically, i cant really complain about anything when it comes to these speakers. they stay clear and consistent, even at horribly loud volumes.. yet, can reveal even the finest details at very low volumes. listening to music, has now become experiencing music. i couldnt be more pleased with my purchase, and thats why i have no reluctancy in telling you the M60's will surely impress.

i hope you can have an opportunity to hear both speakers to make a fair comparison. you should check the audition thread, to at least find an axiom owner that will let you hear his speakers.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#81129 02/10/05 02:32 AM
devotee
devotee
Bigjohn is right. Post your location. You should know that beer, a bottle of wine, or raw meat (steaks, burgers, or ribs) will get you a couple of hours of quality Axiom time just about anywhere in North America.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#81130 02/10/05 04:44 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Um... yeah. With a few exceptions, we're not big into unzipped pants around here

Seriously, the Paradigm Monitors are nice speakers. I haven't had a chance to directly A/B them with Axioms but the few posts I have seen tended to *slightly* favour the Axioms. You would be real happy with either, though.

My boss was teetering on the edge and ended up going with Paradigms mostly because he wanted to be able to buy from a dealer rather than over the Internet. In his case, though, he was looking for relatively small speakers in a large room (Monitor 3s vs. Axiom M3s) and the 8" woofer of the Monitor 3 probably would end up helping a bit.

Here's a link to a whole lot of Axiom owners who are up to offering auditions. Once I finish cleaning up the basement I'll be adding myself to the list

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=first&Number=76567&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#81131 02/10/05 02:56 PM
J
regular
OP Offline
regular
J
Thanks for the input guys...

I looked at the list of people offering up there homes for demo's but I cannot see anyone listed in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).

The reason I looking at the Monitor 9 from Paradigm, because my dealer has them for sale for $925, but my heart is leaning toward the Axioms. I really need to sit down and do some critical listening, but really if you can't listen to them in your own envirment, it's really hard to make a decision.

Maybe I should fly down to the warmer states for a audition to get away from the cold and snow. Big John hows the steak and weather in Texas?

Johnny Zee

#81132 02/10/05 03:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I think there are a bunch of us in the GTA. Romeo and I are in Scarborough, Pizoni is in Whitby, couple of others not on the list out in Mississauga.

My place is still under cleanup/construction but I can bring some M60s over to your place if you want to try them there.

Steaks and weather will both be better in Texas though, it's hard to argue with that.

EDIT -- sorry, I got two threads mixed up. Thought you were looking at 80s and was suggesting that 60s would be a better choice. Just re-read your initial post and you WERE looking at 60s.

Last edited by bridgman; 02/10/05 03:14 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#81133 02/10/05 03:31 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i got plenty of room for ya!! but, that would be a tad bit expensive. there should be some people in the toronto area that might let you come have a listen.. if all else fails, just head on this way. i will have my butcher cut us some 3-inch thick ribeyes, and we can sit in the back yard and grill away!!

and thats true on making a decision.. unless you are in the environment the speakers will be in, its kinda hard to make a fair comparison. i have heard that the monitor series are good speakers, so i would reckon you would be very pleased with which ever speaker you went with.. but, this is the axiom board, so dont be surprised if we push you in that direction

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#81134 02/10/05 03:32 PM
J
regular
OP Offline
regular
J
Ok, that sounds a lot better. I'm in Mississauga, and your offer is very tempting, but I don't want to inconvince you. As for construction, I totally understand, my basement was a total mess for a few weeks.

I actually meant the Monitor 11's, sorry about that, the dealer didn't remomend the 9's, the 11's are priced the same as the 9's. Actually my dealer is Audio One at Jane and Steeles, I have bought most of my equipment from there. So the chances of gettinf a good deal are pretty good.

#81135 02/10/05 06:26 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Check out Laserland in Oakville, they have an Axiom theater room with 50's and 80's usually in stock. You can find them on the web for address and phone number, call ahead see what they have available to listen to.... They are located near the Oakville hospital.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
#81136 02/10/05 06:28 PM
buff
buff
I welcome you and your family to come if you like. Thanks to the forum and bridgman, I bought M60i, VP100 and QS4 just before Axiom adjusted the prices. I am happy so far. I didn't offer at first because I still use my 1989 vintage Pioneer AV 9500S Receiver (still in the process of saving money)so you can't get the latest sound effect when auditing movies. I only have normal DVD player (no SACD or DVDA). However, I think you can at least hear and see how M60i appeal to you.

Either tell me how I can contact you or send me a PM so we can arrange a day. I live in North East Scarborough, not far away from IBM Canada Headquarter.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044