Print Thread
Rate Thread
Dont Let the Bottom Line Rule Your Decisions
#8114 01/19/03 11:11 PM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
I have exhausted my search for an AV receiver that I could feel comfortable with in my original budget. I researched and listened to many units (Pioneer Elite 45TX, Denon 3803, Marantz SR7300, etc). I logged countless hours doing research on the net and doing the grunt work at local retailers. I really couldn't find exactly what I was looking for but was about to settle for the Marantz SR7300...it came the closest to meeting my needs within budget constraints.

On the way to make the purchase at a local retailer, I asked the question, "for another $800-1000, could I go with separates and 'blow away' the receiver I am about to purchase?" I turned around and headed for home.

I decided to allocate additional funds to my budget to purchase separates. It might have to wait a month or two, but I think I made the right decision. I am writing this post because I hope it serves as a reminder to something we all hate as consumers....buyers remorse. I had come close to settling for a unit only because it was the 'best within the budget'. In the end, a little excercise in patience made me realize I had been making one big mistake: FOCUSING ON THE BOTTOM LINE

You have to draw the line somewhere...but I felt that by simply choosing a dollar amount, I had taken away my power to make better decisions. I am now looking at Adcom separates and have found a nice combination. Considering the total amount I am going to spend for a system, an extra $1000 seems like a small price to pay to ensure that I am fully satisfied.

Any thoughts about Adcom separates? Anybody powering their Axioms with Adcoms? I have just began researching them but everything seems positive so far. (Looking at the GTP-830/860 preamps and the GFA-7700 amp). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Dont Let the Bottom Line Rule Your Decisions
#8115 01/19/03 11:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
An intersting post with a query that i'm sure crosses many people's minds before buying.
Where do you draw the line?
Would you have honestly stopped at about $1000?
What if there were still no 'units' in that price range?
Is the 'upgrade' to a higher level really an upgrade and is it really worth that extra cost?
Ultimately everyone still has a limit and would normally set a budget for it appropriately. It certainly can be frustrating to see something you would much prefer for that couple of extra dollars which will mean either eating kraft dinner for the next month or listening to a slightly lesser sound.

Good luck with the Adcom research.
It is a brand i've been wondering about myself and have not had the opportunity to hear...yet. Arcam is another brand i'm just dying to get my hands on.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#8116 01/20/03 02:35 AM
aficionado
aficionado
This sort of logic is why I have a $10k home theater and drive a brand new Infiniti G35 Coupe straight out of college. It's very easy to take it too far as well...

Regardless, Adcom's seperates are beautiful and I'm sure you will enjoy them. However, were I in your shoes, I'd buy one of the receivers you listed and add external amps once I had the money, using the receiver as a preamp, but that's just me.

#8117 01/23/03 05:08 PM
old hand
old hand
Ah...gopd to see another axoim and infinti g35 owner amongst us....only thing I don't love about my G is the Bose stereo system is comes with.

#8118 01/23/03 06:31 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I agree absolutely! It doesn't sound too bad with fairly basic music like rap but anything with complex accoustics, and the sound goes right into the toilet. That and the inability to have the VDC system default to off are my only complaints.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044