Print Thread
Rate Thread
Speaker Cabinets Choices
#81204 02/10/05 05:25 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Quick and simple:

I was looking through various manufacture sites to get a better idea what look of a speaker (mostly wood color and grain) my wife would like best. I came across this ( http://www.tannoy.com/Stirling ) and showed it to my wife. She instantly said, "Now something in solid walnut that was stylish like that would look great in our family room. I’m just so against the typical high gloss or black boxes. Isn't there anything else out there kind of like this?”

My question is, does anyone know of a manufacture who builds excellent speakers using solid walnut veneers or, I should say, darker wood veneers that are not the typical black or cherry we so much of? I showed my wife some sample pictures other members sent in of the Vermont Maple, and it looked MUCH lighter in color than this web site projets.

Summary: just looking to get a better feel of what she might prefer in color.

Thanks

Re: Speaker Cabinets Choices
#81205 02/10/05 05:28 AM
shareholder in the making
If you're still considering Axioms (doesn't sound like it!) you should call them up and get the sample finishes. The flash makes the Vermont Maple much, much lighter (and more red) than it actually is. It's a fairly dark, slightly reddish brown. Axiom also offers a high gloss black walnut that I'm sure is gorgeous, although I've never seen it.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#81206 02/10/05 05:36 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Axioms are still very much in the consideration process; however, my wife says it has to be a mutual agreement. I get the sound I want and she gets what looks right. She is OK with Axiom, but just not sure on the color. I think you are right on the Vermont Maple for Axiom. I think I'll order their sample since pictures are next to impossible to trust, given the wide range of variables in taking an accurate picture.

#81207 02/10/05 05:43 AM
The samples come very quickly... It is a similar color to the Boston Cherry, so I'd ask for a piece of that as well. It doesn't come as a sample plaque, so it's not as nice as the custom finish samples, but at least you can see the color. Mine was the cutout from a tweeter or port.

BTW, make sure you look at the samples in various lights... I didn't, and my speakers don't match my entertainment center. They're both nice, but they don't look very good together!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#81208 02/12/05 10:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
TK,

I dealt with a customer in Long Island who ordered ten samples before he decided. The stock finish samples are free; the custom finish samples are $10 each, which is refunded when you mail the samples back or order a system. And be sure to specify which grille color you want. With custom finishes there is a larger selection of grille colors.

You really have to order a sample to get an accurate idea of what the finish looks like in different light. There are too many variations in digital photos and display color temperatures to get a perfectly accurate picture.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#81209 02/13/05 06:20 PM
aficionado
aficionado
TK,
The best approach is to sit down with your wife and select various finishes that you feel will suit your decor. My wife and I went through this process. We narrowed it down to three selections. It makes it so much easier when you have the samples in your room to see how they match up with your decor. Lighting plays a big role in how these finishes appear. We tried the digital picture route to match our Ethan Allen coffee and end tables. It didn't work out. Good luck with the selections.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044