RG6 coaxial for audio
#81236 02/10/05 07:36 PM
C
charlie Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
C
I'm going to use Belden 1694A RG6 (18 AWG) coaxial cable with Canare True 75 ohm Connectors for television signals and plan on wiring my whole house with it. From what I've read this is the best cable/connectors for the price/job. I found it much cheaper at www.ramelectronics.net then what I would have paid had I purchased it from www.bluejeanscable.com. I wanted to know if this would also be good cable for audio interconnects?

Is there anything wrong with going to Best Buy and getting Monster Cable for my speakers/subwoofer? What's the best price/performance speaker cable to get?

Re: RG6 coaxial for audio
#81237 02/10/05 08:05 PM
local
local
Is there anything wrong with going to Best Buy and getting Monster Cable for my speakers/subwoofer?

Only that if you're looking for a good price/performance ratio, you're overpaying for Monsters. They are good cable, but no better than cable you can get for half the price from others (including Blue Jeans).

Also that Monster is disgustingly litigious and I don't like to support them for that reason, but that's just my own personal reaction and has no bearing on their products (except, perhaps that their cables would be cheaper if they didn't have to keep so many lawyers on the payroll).

---- A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing... M60s, VP150, QS8s, EP350 Onkyo TX-SR702, Denon DVD-3910
#81238 02/10/05 08:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's good for audio but probably overkill. Also, remember that it'll be hard to bend that cable since it's not as flexible.

For audio, you may be fine w/ RG59 which is a little easier to bend. Also, you are wiring your house, I would suggest using structured wire. I had some put in when I moved into an older house. Now every room has 2 runs of RG6, 2 runs of CAT5 (which is used for phone and Ethernet now), and 1 fiber, which for the life of me, I'll probably never use.

This is WAY thick and harder to route but it does keep your bundles together and much easer to manage in a wiring panel.

Structured wiring

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 02/10/05 08:11 PM.
#81239 02/10/05 08:24 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Actually, they cost more because of the research and development that goes into their many PATENTED audio wire/cable products, AND their wire/cable is made in-house to their specifications, rather than just re-packaged bulk wire from who knows where.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#81240 02/10/05 08:42 PM
local
local
OK... true or not, you can get cable of equal or better quality than Monster for the same or lower price. If you want to pay Monster, you're perfectly welcome to. There's nothing wrong with their products, they make good cable (as I said above).

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7113

---- A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing... M60s, VP150, QS8s, EP350 Onkyo TX-SR702, Denon DVD-3910
#81241 02/10/05 10:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
EngineJoe

If you knew anything about trademark law, you might have a different view on Monster's action to protect their trademarks. Without getting into it, Monster has no choice but to bring lawsuits in order to protect the good will that it has in its name. Without challenging other uses of the name "Monster" it risks losing its rights to exclusive use of the brand name, and the good will that it has generated over the years by producing quality wires.

In addition, these suits are necessary so that we, as consumers, aren't confused by imitators in the marketplace, which is exactly what the Lanham Act protects by allowing companies to have trademarks. One of the costs of trademark protection, however, is the obligation to seek out and clarify other uses of the brand name so that it doesn't become diluted in the marketplace.

Be happy that Monster is out there protecting your rights to know that when you buy a wire that says Monster, it isn't some cheap knock-off made in some crappy warehouse from old lampwire.

Not a sermon, but the whole "Monster is litigious" crap really rubs me the wrong way. I don't see a single good reason why they don't have every right to protect what they have worked very hard to achieve - a brand name that everybody in the industry knows.

Sorry to thread-jack. I'll end my rant now.

#81242 02/10/05 10:27 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
damn lawyers...

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#81243 02/10/05 10:31 PM
local
local
I'm an attorney myself - and a litigator (I know people say this on the web a lot, so if you want to verify, look me up on the firm website - www.stroock.com)! I've done some trademark work (and studied it some in law school), and so far as I can see, there's no reason why Monster needs to protect its trademark in industries where it does not compete. Up to and including suing Disney and Pixar for the film "Monsters, Inc." There's no likelihood of dilution resulting from the sale of Monster snowmobiles, either.

#81244 02/10/05 10:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm sorry to continue to feed to fire, especially since its off topic.

But you've named a couple of instances where Monster expressed concern or wrote letters regarding the movie monsters, inc. etc. I don't think you'll be able to find any court papers regarding a lawsuit against Pixar or Disney in this regard. If you can, I will stand humbly corrected, and rethink my view on the topic.

Otherwise, I believe that the story has taken on a life of its own in the internet, especially by some people who did some research and discovered that Monster Cable is pretty much the same as everybody else, for three times the cost. Those people are now a little ticked that Monster has cornered the market and are frustrated that every pimply faced salesperson at Tweeter insists that the only way that they can guarantee the sound and picture on a particular device is if they buy Monster products, which, as we all know, is bunk.

Like you, I won't buy any more Monster products, but it is for different reasons.

Sorry if I sounded accusatory or confrontational in my first post. I have re-read it and wished that I had come across a little more middle of the road. But my opinion that this issue has been blown out of proportion has not changed.

#81245 02/11/05 12:21 AM
local
local
In the spirit of conciliation and frankly, because it's really not that big of a deal, I think we're in agreement in the important areas - that Monster's cables, while good, are priced higher than their quality, and that is itself a worthwhile reason to explore other options and come to one's own conclusions on whether you need Monster to have good sound. The selling tactics are another issue, one which I have been lucky enough not to experience firsthand... Cutting to the core, I don't buy Monster products mostly because of price. I certainly don't "boycott" them. But when I have an option, I buy from someone else. I have a few of their products, though, and they do a nice job. Mostly I kick myself because I could have gotten a product of equal quality a product for less moolah, though. Their purported litigation tactics, which I was unwise enough to bring up in the first place for several reasons (including keeping some hearsay percolating at the surface), were just icing on the cake for me to generally avoid them.

As to the intellectual property matters at hand, I'll only say this, just as a technical matter, and honestly not to try and fuel further debate.

But you've named a couple of instances where Monster expressed concern or wrote letters regarding the movie monsters, inc. etc. I don't think you'll be able to find any court papers regarding a lawsuit against Pixar or Disney in this regard. If you can, I will stand humbly corrected, and rethink my view on the topic.

I did overstep my bounds by stating that actual litigation commenced. I'm sure, without looking up any court records, that no papers were filed, at least in these instances. However, that's not to say the effect is not as present. Litigation-threatening letters aren't part of the public record, and can be powerful tools (trust me, I say this from experience). Almost always, some kind of no-record-is-made settlement is reached, and it is in no way publicized. A little money changes hands, and either the purported infringer can carry on - as some kind of licensee - or ceases to use the name.

We can't know if this happened in the context of Monster and, for example, Disney and Pixar, though certainly the rumors abound! Do I know that such things have happened? Well, I've certainly never touched any original, authenticated documents, so no, I don't. I have read a number of independently sourced, consistent reports which suggest that it has, though it is unquestionably all hearsay. And that's all it is for the time being.

Right. So...how're you enjoying your Axioms, then?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup