Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
If you like Gypsy Jazz / Django Reinhardt ...
#81367 02/12/05 09:18 AM
pmbuko Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
you need to check out this guy. It absolutely kills me that he's only 21. Guitar players, prepare to weep. (the first link takes a while to load. The progress is in the upper right corner.)

If you can read German, here's his official site.

Re: If you like Gypsy Jazz / Django Reinhardt ...
#81368 02/12/05 03:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Holy CATFISH, Peter. This guy is a knockout! I love Django, and have several of his CDs, but they suffer because of the technical recording limitations of the era. I'm salivating at the thought of getting my hands on this guys CDs.

I did a google search, and came up with several European sources, including his record company, but I'd like to find somewhere in the US, or Canada, where I could purchase the CDs. If you stumble across someone that carries them, please let me know. WOW!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#81369 02/12/05 10:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Peter, Ajax,

Since you are into Django, there is another amazing gypsy guitarist, Jimmy Rosenberg, who came into prominence in his teens. I first heard him a few years ago. He would be in his early 20s now. His technique is as good as Django's to my ears. A few of his CDs are available here, including one he made with his brother. It was out of print but then showed up on ebay or overstock and I got one there for a few dollars. I'm not at home but when i get back, I'll look up the title.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#81370 02/12/05 10:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks Alan. I'll check him out.

Jack

#81371 02/13/05 03:29 AM
Very good, Peter. While the material wasn't exactly my cup of borscht, his finger work is certainly outstanding and it'd be interesting to hear him do some of the guitar works or transcriptions of Albeniz, Granados, etc.

Jack, I just took a quick google on "Joscho Stephan CDs" and it looks like at least this outfit might have something available. They list three of his CDs at $16.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#81372 02/13/05 04:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks John. I'm grateful. I came across that site when I did my search, but when I reached the section titled "Various Artists" and saw the first few CDs, I thought I had reached the section that had CDs with "various artists" on them (i.e, collections of artists on one CD), rather than CDs by "various artists." I knew Joscho Stephan's CDS were solo, so I went no farther. DUH! I'm very glad you went farther. Thanks again.

John, If you didn't do so, go to the record companies web site I linked to in my post above, click on "Artists," Click on "Joscho Stephan," and scroll down to his 3 CDs. You can listen to brief (20 sec.) snippets of his tunes, which are MUCH higher audio quality, than the clip to which Peter Linked. See if anything there strikes a chord (pun intended)for you. What little I heard, knocked me out, and I played guitar for more than 30 years. However I would understand completely if he doesn't do it for you.

Jack

#81373 02/13/05 05:36 AM
Okay Jack, went to the site and played about a dozen of the soundbeispielen on my M22s. Continue to be amazed by the athleticism of his fingers(rather liked Sweet Georgia Brown, Lady Be Good, Nuages, Daphne, Troublant). I played clarinet in school bands and orchestras and even with that relatively less demanding work, managed to get my fingers all tangled up on occasion. So far as guitar goes in the classical genre that I'm into, this is probably my favorite CD, since I really like the Albeniz Iberia and have the piano, orchestral and guitar versions.

Incidentally, Tower now has a 25% off sale on all those Naxos CDs for $5.99 with free shipping over $20. There's at least a dozen that I particularly like, if anyone's looking to start or add to their collection at very low cost. They also have a few DVD-As and SACDs.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#81374 02/13/05 02:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ajax,

The name of Jimmy Rosenberg's trio is "Sinti" and that's the name of the CD. It came to me in a dream last night. I need help if I'm dreaming about audio . . .!

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#81375 02/13/05 03:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh, do I KNOW what you mean. I have, literally, dreamed of how to configure my system, i.e DVD-1 hooked to DVD on the receiver, DVD-2 hooked into vid-2, cable box hooked into vid-1, etc. Now THAT'S pathetic.

Jack

#81376 02/13/05 05:28 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ajax i dunno but your dreams about inputs and outputs maybe seen as audioerotic. you may be a true audio"phile". boys in clevland lock up your equipment. lol

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082