Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Recessed speakers
#81954 02/17/05 03:01 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
I am looking to purchase the M22's. What I would like to do is have them recessed in the wall. My room size is 11’x19’ and 8’ ceiling. What I’m trying to do is not take away space from the room. My TV will be above the fireplace with stones around the fireplace and also the speakers. Will I be taking away sound from the speakers if I recess them in the wall?

"If you buy cheap solution, be prepared to live with its limitations"
Re: Recessed speakers
#81955 02/17/05 01:56 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
yes, you will be taking away from the performance of the speakers by placing them in the wall. they need room to breath, and allow for proper air exchange from the back port. it is a bad idea to place ANY speaker in some sort of enclosure.

another option if you dont want to give up floor space, is to use the full metal brackets(FMB's), and mount them to the wall on either side of the TV/fireplace. honestly, recesing them into the wall should be a last option at best..

BTW- welcome to the board. hope we can help you with ant set-up problems you may have.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#81956 02/17/05 02:17 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thanks bigjohn for the help. Now you have me thinking about putting the M22' on the wall over the fireplace next to the tv(flat panel). Wouldn't that look bad? One more thing. What if I decide to put the M22's on the floor and the center on the mantel with the TV above the center speaker. Will that setup be a good HT setup (surround sound wise)?

#81957 02/17/05 02:50 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
best scenario is to have the center and the left/right speakers on one level plane across the front of the viewing area. obviously, that set-up is not avail for most, so its OK if you basically just make adjustments for what you have.

i think the two best options for you are to, (1)mount the 22's out to the side of the TV. total separation between the left and right should be anywhere from 5-7 feet. or (2), place the 22's on the taller speaker stands on either side of the fireplace, once again with a separation of 5-7 feet. the center will be fine on top of the mantle in both scenarios.

another thing to be aware of, if its a working fireplace. some people with plasmas/lcd's/flatscreens, that place them over fireplaces have had issues with the heat and smoke rising up and discoloring the screen. now, not everyone has had this happen, but i know a few have mentioned it. so, just be aware that can be a problem. one good way to tell is, look at the fireplace as it is now. if you see mild discoloration on the bricks/front/mantle directly above the firebox, you might have similar issues. just food for thought.. i would hate to see a $3-4K TV get melted..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#81958 02/17/05 05:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi ricwilli
Glad that you dopped in from "over there"
Have you found anyone in your area that will audition their Axioms for ya?

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#81959 02/17/05 06:21 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hi bray, I haven't found anyone yet. But when someone recomended the axiom m22 (you know, from "over there"), I fell in love with them (cosmetic wise). Do you know of anyone thats in the NJ area? Another thing that I read is that the M22's can be wall mounted. Is that a wise thing to do as the speakers would be to close to the wall? Will the sound coming out of them be any different than putting them on a stand?

#81960 02/17/05 07:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
ricwilli
Check here http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=first&Number=76567&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=
It looks like there are a couple of guys in NJ willing to audition their speakers.(JSkip) and (theroyale).
Or just give Aime a call at Axiom and she should be able to put you in touch with someone. I know JSkip posts here often, so you should try to send him a Private Message.
As far as the wall mounts go look here http://www.axiomaudio.com/fullmetalbracket.html
Looks like they would work well with the M22s.
I wish I had more info for ya, but I run the M60s, however I did have the 22s for a couple of weeks and really liked them. In my opinion they sounded much better than some B&W bookshelf speakers I was looking at that cost more than twice as much. Because I have such a large listening area and high ceilings I decided to upgrade to the M60s.
I'm sure someone will jump in and offer more info than I can on wall mounting.
Good Luck

" But when someone recomended the axiom m22 (you know, from "over there"),"

It was me.

Last edited by bray; 02/17/05 07:12 PM.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#81961 02/17/05 07:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Looks like the 2nd url I put in isnt working.
Just look under the "Our Products" section of this page and find the full metal brackets.

Last edited by bray; 02/17/05 07:17 PM.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#81962 02/17/05 09:09 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Oh really!!! That was you. Well you hooked me when I seen the M22's. Just doing a little more research before I purchase them. Are the people willing to audition the speakers have a store or in there home? If its thier home than I won't feel right intruding. I would rather buy the speakers without hearing them.

#81963 02/17/05 09:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If theyre on that list you, you definetly WOULD NOT be intruding.
I'm also on that list, and I love showing off my Axioms. I've had three different people come to audition in my home, and enjoyed the experience very much. No worrys, everyone on that list just loves their speakers, and wants someone else to enjoy a great speaker at a great price. You could probably take a six pack and have a good time yourself.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup