connoisseur
connoisseur

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
Re: NEWBIE DILLEMMMA! HELLLLLLLLLP!!!
#8280 01/26/03 02:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi thuway,

Although THX Ultra and Select certification contains some aspects of dubious benefit or minimal usefulness, the THX requirements for the amplifier output sections are quite rigorous and include the ability to drive 4-ohm loads without current limiting or amplifier shut-down from protection circuitry.

So look at receivers with THX certification. By the way, any receiver that will drive 8-ohm loads will have no trouble with 6-ohm loads. It's 4-ohm loads that cause problems with some brands that are basically spec'd for 8-ohm speakers and were never intended to be married to 4-ohm speakers.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#8281 01/26/03 08:51 PM
thuway Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks Alan,

Is there anyway I can calculate how many watts the Onkyo carries?

#8282 01/26/03 10:48 PM
old hand
old hand
I currently have the Onkyo NR-900, it's a nice featured receiver, but it seems to be over protected on the watts when driving 4ohm speakers. In the manual it states 110w per channer @ 8ohm with 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20kHz, and 145 @ 6ohm 2 channels driven from 1kHz. The only thing is says about 4 ohm is 2 x 220 Dynamic power output (stereo).
There's a few things about the receiver that I don't like, that's the net tune radio (doesn't work), and the lack of power. It get's loud, but it just doesn't seem to have enough there. When listening to music I can turn the system all the way up, it's loud but not earth shattering. It didn't knock anything off the shelves, and I couldn't listen to it very long at that level, but I shouldn't be able to turn it all the way up and be in the same room 10 feet from the speakers. I'm currently searching for a replacement.

#8283 01/26/03 11:29 PM
old hand
old hand
ralderman: By chance have you used a sound level meter to measure what your speakers are producing when you turn it all the way up? Have you tried setting the NR900 to 6 ohms like was suggested to see what happens?

#8284 01/26/03 11:45 PM
old hand
old hand
I don't have one yet, I'm going to Radio Shack tomorrow to get one. I tried 6ohms, not much difference.

#8285 01/27/03 04:58 AM
thuway Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Eghhh...

So I guess now,

My new choice is gonna be the the HKAV8000.

Sad, I thought the onkyo would be amazing.

#8286 01/27/03 07:26 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Rick, although I don't have personal experience with the NR-900, I'd be astonished if two things weren't true: 1)the Net-Tune does work when set up correctly(the separate Net-Tune manual is complicated); 2)the receiver definitely doesn't "lack power". There's a volume-limiting setting in one of the menus, are you sure that you didn't accidentally set it? If not, maybe in the basic level calibration how about starting out at +3or4db on the left-front speaker instead of 0? The shelves should be bare and plaster should be falling from the ceiling. Don't give up on the NR-900 yet.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#8287 01/28/03 01:14 AM
old hand
old hand
The NR-900 is a nice receiver, and I haven't given up yet, but I'm very close to upgrading still. I finally got through to Onkyo today, what a pain, anyway once I got talking to them they were very helpful. After working with them for about 45 minutes we got everything working. It's a problem with their receiver and the subnet settings. For those familiar with networking, I use a class A 10 series address, and a class c subnet. The receiver allows you to change everything how you want, but for some reason it won't talk to my pc. If I use a class A network and subnet on both the receiver and network it worked. They told me that they would send the info to their engineering team in Japan. Anyway, playing MP3's from the PC to the receiver was cool, but the Internet radio feature was lame. There's a huge listing of stations, but only a few worked.

#8288 01/28/03 05:13 PM
GLH Offline
frequent flier
frequent flier
Just to back track a bit. The Denon site says their receivers can handle 4 Ohms.

The following is from the Denon site:
Support - FAQ Home Theater:

http://www.usa.denon.com/support/faqs_ht.asp

9) CAN I USE 4 OHM LOUDSPEAKERS WITH MY DENON RECEIVER OR POWER AMPLIFIER?

Yes, you certainly can.

To understand this a bit better, first realize that all amplifiers are designed to deliver a signal into an electrical "load" or resistance presented by the loudspeaker. We measure resistance in units called "ohms" (after the German physicist Georg Simon Ohm, 1787–1854).

Conventional wisdom makes an 8 ohm loudspeaker load the most acceptable because it "protects" the amplifier from delivering too much current. A 4 ohm loudspeaker can encourage a marginally designed amplifier to deliver more current than it comfortably can.

However, you should remember that a loudspeaker’s impedance rating is a nominal or average one: A speaker rated at 8 ohms may actually vary from 5 (sometimes even less) to 20 ohms or higher, depending on the frequency at which you measure the impedance. (Don’t worry about this too much -- good speaker engineers are well aware of these variations and take them into consideration when designing products.)

In general, you’ll find that Denon products are designed to function with a wide variety of loudspeakers and have power supplies and output circuitry more than able to meet the current demands of low impedance loads.

In the rare event that very low impedances tax the amplifier, quick acting circuitry will protect it from damage. If unusual operating conditions trigger this circuitry, the word "PROTECTION" will appear on the unit’s front panel. If this happens, simply turn the unit off, wait a moment or two, and turn the unit back on again. The protection circuitry will automatically reset. If it re-engages, check your system for possible malfunctions.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters