Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: OT: Music Recommendations please
#83626 03/09/05 12:13 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I'm a Los Lonely Boys fan, but there still hasn't been another SRV.
I was a fan since seeing clips of him at Montreux, saw him five times in concert and still have two posters up, one right outside my office where customers see it and it serves as a conversation piece.

I thought Jonny Lang or Kenny Wayne Shepherd might be "next", but they've both kinda went off in different directions. I'm still looking, though, most recently with Jimmy D. Lane with Double Trouble.

Mark, nope, no way, no how can anybody ever replace Stevie Ray Vaughn...in my estimation. I visit Tommy Shannon's website often and have never seen anything about Jimmy D. Lane, I'll have to check him out.

Can't believe I've never seen Stevie in concert, I believe he only made it to Florida maybe once or twice but I do have his 'Live in Montreux', 'Live at the el Mocambo' and 'Live from Austin, Texas' DVDs along with just about every song ever recorded. I have always been so impressed with his recovery and his willingness to help whomever along the way, awesome.

'Riviera Paradise' was one of several songs that turned my wife into an Axiom-holic...how cool is that!

Rick
Our Room

smile
#83627 03/09/05 01:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"'Riviera Paradise' was one of several songs that turned my wife into an Axiom-holic...how cool is that!"

That is probably my favorite by him.
I've had the privilege of seeing him on many occasions, and I've never seen anyone coming close to him live.
Here in Dallas in the early 80s you could usually catch him live every other weekend in small to very small venues, free sometimes.
Some of my best music memorys.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#83628 03/09/05 01:35 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

BB,I have to agree with ya on that one.I too had never seen SRV in concert,but I do have every cd and dvd I could find by him.I have seen Jonny Lang and Kenny Wayne live and IMO Kenny was much much better than Jonny Lang.I did see KWS with Double Trouble once and it was a very good performace.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#83629 03/09/05 01:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

BB,I have to agree with ya on that one.I too had never seen SRV in concert,but I do have every cd and dvd I could find by him.

Rick, typically I have Stevie Ray and 'Number 1' as my avatar on message boards but whenever I first came here I noticed yours and left well enough alone...respect!

Like you, I've watched and seen some good ones, but nobody compares to Stevie's love of the music and compassion.

Rick
Our Room

smile
#83630 03/09/05 01:52 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Heck use your SRV avatar.Don't let me using mine stop ya.I even have a pic of him on my desk top for wallpaper.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#83631 03/09/05 05:04 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Unfortunately, the only time I ever got a chance to see SRV was waaaaay back in the 80's when he was touring with David Bowie. SRV was playing in Bowie's band at the time, not solo. If I remember correctly, Bowie kind of jump-started SRV's career. Maybe someone else can elaborate on this for authenticity? Has anyone seen the performance John Mayer did with Double Trouble last year? I believe it was on Austin City Limits. I have a vhs recording of it and it is smokin! You can really see the influence of SRV in John Mayer's style.

#83632 03/09/05 05:26 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Bowie saw SRV at Montreaux and asked him to play on the "Let's Dance" album. I think it was also Bowie that introduced SRV to John Hammond. That's when things kind of took off a bit.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#83633 03/09/05 06:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I saw SRV with Jeff Beck in Birmingham, Alabama in early 1990 or late '89. I was vaguely familiar with Stevie -- just the stuff I'd heard on the radio. I considered myself very hip at the time because I wanted to see Jeff Beck and I really didn't care who was opening.

Talk about humbled and put in my place. Holy schnikeyes...

Stevie came out and started playing, and my jaw was on the ground before the end of the first song. And of course Jeff Beck was a mutha, too. Easily on my all-time top ten list of best shows. And then just months later he was gone. I count myself very lucky to have seen him play.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#83634 03/09/05 06:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

If I remember correctly, Bowie kind of jump-started SRV's career. Maybe someone else can elaborate on this for authenticity?

Kinda, sorta...Stevie was invited to Montreux by Lou Ann Barton's (former band member) manager for the 1983 show. Stevie was an unknown so he was scheduled to play on an acustic night, which he did, with the amps blasting. He was booed by several in the crowd but played his gut out anyway. So happened that David Bowie and Jackson Browne were both in attendance and were both floored by the performance, they ended up jamming all night long in the players lounge and Stevie was invited to play and tour with Bowie on the Last Dance album and tour, he did the album but backed out of the tour at the very last minute to stay with Double Trouble on the local Texas circuit.
During Montreux Browne offered the use of his L.A. studio, several months after turning down the Bowie tour Stevie and Double Trouble recorded free of charge, 'Texas Flood'...and the rest was history!

Up to 1983, Stevie was the only unsigned artist ever to be invited to play Montreux. In 1985, Stevie headlined the show and blew the house down, as he did everywhere.

RIP Stvie!

Rick
Our Room

smile
#83635 03/10/05 06:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"Stevie was invited to play and tour with Bowie on the Last Dance album and tour, he did the album but backed out of the tour at the very last minute to stay with Double Trouble on the local Texas circuit."

Talk about a gamble that payed off.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616