Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Speaker Recommendations
#84124 03/05/05 07:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Question guys:

Is that hump sometimes refered to as the "BBC hump" (or something like that) due to the old near-field monitors used by the BBC in their mobile news vans? My terminology may be way off, but something like that.(?)

I was even under the impression that not only was the hump intended, but so was the mid-sag, and that's with a 5" driver. (I'm half-Brit, so I can say it: The Brits are a little weird) I think it was even part of the specification that the BBC Asked For!

Like I said though, I may be way off "bass" here, but I think I may have read something about it many years ago or at least just thought I did. Back in the days when speakers were wider than they were deep.

But hey, the M3s "Sound" good. (OK, at least to me)
I also note that the M50s have neither the bass hump or the
major mid sag, but yet sound (after only one day) pretty close to the same. Of course the primary sound I hear is still the M3 as center, although I listened to the M50s in stereo and found them to be very close to my "memory"(only a few minutes old) of the M3s as mains, it's still the M3 that I hear most when I listen to TV or movies. To paraphrase, I neither miss or desire the hump or sag, at least not right now. I'll know in a few days when the sound of the new speakers causes total transformations of my eardrums. (Anything annoying tends to get Really annoying)

Anyway, right now the M50s are extreemly cool-and so are the M3s.-humps, sags or not.

Rich.

#84125 03/06/05 01:30 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yep, the 3Khz dip seems to be pretty much the famed "BBC dip". If I had made the connection a year earlier there is a good chance that I would own M3s and M50s today instead of M2s and M60s, since my last good speakers were Rogers LS3/5A's.

If you search the web on BBC dip it's pretty clear that listeners find a speaker with the dip to be more relaxing, and that it "takes the edge off" hot recordings without hurting the overall sound very much. I doubt that Axiom designed the dip into the M3 family deliberately, at least I never got that sense from posts by Alan and others.

Now the 100Hz bump -- that's just a bump (although it may be deliberate).

It is not to be confused with the Brockville Bump (road going over an old railway tunnel in downtown Brockville, ON, where due to a moment of confusion between MPH and KM/H I almost landed my Ford Fiesta in the bed of a pickup truck. It was really neat, just like one of those zero-G flights -- all the junk in the back seat floated up to eye level before we hit the ground.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#84126 03/06/05 03:13 AM
Gazer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi All,

Thanks to all for the advice! I'll probably go with the Denon 2805, as for the speakers, I am still leaning towards the towers. The layout of the room only gives one option to put the t.v. There are two doorways in the wall with 2ft of wall space on either side and 6ft of space between them. I plan on building an entertainment center which will take up all of the wall space between the doors, so placing the towers next to the t.v is not an option. Because of of this layout, towers will be about 12ft apart from each other. I think the towers will sound better and look alot better than bookshelf's on stands. The t.v will be about 10ft from where will be sitting, with the surrounds about 6ft to either side. So, if anyone has anymore suggestions, please let me know

Gazer

#84127 03/06/05 04:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
OK then, so that's the real situation-I knew I'd read it a long time ago and wasen't quite clear on that.

And yeah, the LS3/5 is what I was thinking of(although I would never have remembered the no.outright-seeing it though makes it obvious) That one was made by lots of other vendors as I recall and only died cause the mid-woofer mfg. stopped producing the drivers. (Someone on another forum mentioned that in relation to a BBC mini and I just assumed that's the speaker he was talking about) Didn't they also produce it in a 15 or 16 ohm version or something? I envy you having had them, I was much impressed in my readings of them over what seems like many decades of Hi-Fi magazines. That's a speaker of real historical significance alright. It was the same publications(going back into the early 60s)that got me brainwashed into the "warm and comfortable go together" mentality.

Don't know either if the bass bump on the M3 was deliberate or not, but I had noticed that it is designed into a number of other speakers by other manufacturers throughout the years, so I may have assumed that it was deliberate in the designing of the M3.

I also think I know the bump you're talking about, or at least a close relative of it; caused me to do a very scarry and inadvertant wheelie while accelerating away from a stop sign at a somewhat too high of a rate of acceleration. Thankfully there was no passenger on the back to be deposited on the pavement. Your experience however, had the humerous visual effects in the mirror, as well as the visualization of being launched into a pickup to make it a more memorable event worth retelling! What color was your Fiesta? for some reason I'm picturing it in Racy Yellow!

#84128 03/06/05 04:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ya know, Gazer, all things being equal, towers sure do look a lot more impressive than bookshelfs on stands, No Question There! I just swapped out my M3s for M50s yesterday, and Woah, what a difference!! (In looks as well as sound)

I can't help but agree with you that for as far back from the TV that you will be sitting and as far apart as the speakers will be, that towers Are the Natural Choice.

#84129 03/06/05 05:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>What color was your Fiesta? for some reason I'm picturing it in Racy Yellow!

Close, it was "what, me speed ??" white. I rallied the car quite a bit and didn't want any un-necessary attention from the law.

>>That one was made by lots of other vendors as I recall and only died cause the mid-woofer mfg. stopped producing the drivers.

Believe it or not, they're back from the dead. Production is back online (or soon) :

http://www.richardallanaudio.com/

EDIT -- found another one :

http://www.stirlingbroadcast.net/ls3-5a%20NEW2.html

>>Didn't they also produce it in a 15 or 16 ohm version or something?

Here's a shootout between a lot of different variants, focusing on the "11 ohm vs. 15 ohm" battle :

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.whatton/shootout.html

>>I envy you having had them, I was much impressed in my readings of them over what seems like many decades of Hi-Fi magazines. That's a speaker of real historical significance alright.

I shouldn't have sold them. Then again, they were hardly originals -- Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto was selling them like hotcakes 20-ish years ago...

I used them with a passive subwoofer which never really worked as well as I had hoped. The speakers generally sounded better with the sub disconnected. 25 years later nothing has changed, I still prefer music without a sub. Oh well, nothing ever changes...

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#84130 03/06/05 12:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh WoW!! Look at all the cool stuff I can research!! I might as well since I don't have to study the Axiom line any further.(I got'em now)!

A "subtle" white makes sense for rallying, good choice. I wasen't as lucky when I almost went rallying with my Austin Healey in the late 60s, it was RED. I started seriously pricing the Hella gear I needed (I think it was Hella, it's been a while) and found I was seriously under funded!

Anyway, time to brouse the links you posted; This'll be fun, Thanks a Ton!!

Rich.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (chapin99), 331 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup