Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: OT: Strategies for Wife Approval
#84277 03/09/05 12:02 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, the way things look now, those 6 guys will all have their chance to make the cut next year, since there aren't any real NHL players playing.

#84278 03/09/05 02:08 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Well Bren, this might be one of those instances where we'd have to "agree to disagree". I did enjoy "Making the Cut" even if it was a little heavy on the drama and light on the action. There are some damn fine hockey players in that group, including numerous Major Junior Hockey players and it was a shame they didn't show more of the on-ice activity. I happened to know the kid that won it - i worked with him this past summer. In fact I went to see him play on Saturday when the UofM Bisons were in town to play the UofS Huskies. He is a great kid and is the kind of guy that truly deserves an opportunity like this. Great hockey player too with lots of potential, just a late bloomer and that's why he never turned too many heads coming up through junior hockey. He's likely to be in a uniform for the Oilers farm club next year though.

Now as far as support for the CBC, as soon as they can report the news even close to partially, I might consider watching. Not much worthy IMO other than Country Canada and some of their sketch comedy shows (Rick Mercer, 22 Minutes, etc).

"Chickens don't clap."
#84279 03/09/05 04:07 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

He's likely to be in a uniform for the Oilers farm club next year though.

Playing for the Road Runners? Why isn't he in EDM now with the AHL affiliate? (I don't believe Edmonton has a lower league affiliate, do they?)

In reply to:

Now as far as support for the CBC, as soon as they can report the news even close to partially, I might consider watching.

Real double-edged sword there... there is no such thing as impartial news coverage anymore. No one wants to hear news, they want to hear editorials - that's more exciting. Gotta watch a pundit get red faced and bang his fist on the table about something - that's good journalism! Just depends which direction they lean (or in the case of Canwest and ClearChannel - which direction the Journalistas (not a typo) have been herded at gunpoint, screaming and drooling towards)... I'll take a lean to the left over a hand from the right working the anchor's strings.

Bren R.

#84280 03/09/05 04:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"Real double-edged sword there... there is no such thing as impartial news coverage anymore."

You mean to tell me CNN isnt impartial?

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#84281 03/09/05 04:26 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Oilers mgmt/coaching staff said they'd prefer to have him finish the season with the Bisons and when that was over, join the farm club to get on their training and workout programs then. The RoadRunners are their affiliate as I understand it. They shared Hamilton with the Habs last year, but since no Oilers this year, decided to split and move the farm club to Edmonton.

I never really said in my initial post that I can totally understand why others would have been dissapointed by the program. For me, it was more of a personal interest in the whole thing. Seeing Jordan win it was pretty exciting.

...and on the news/politics side of things, my issue is that I just have a hard time taking news from an network that has their collective heads so far up the Liberals' a@@. I actually prefer Global & Kevin Newman. I always felt they were the only one of the major 3 that gave sufficient coverage, weighting, and overall accuracy to western Canadian issues (I've been particularily impressed with their continual BSE coverage). Again, to each his own I suppose.

"Chickens don't clap."
#84282 03/09/05 07:13 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

They shared Hamilton with the Habs last year, but since no Oilers this year, decided to split and move the farm club to Edmonton.

Actually, last year, their primary affiliate was the Toronto Road Runners, they moved this season. The Bulldogs split with Les Habitants was the year before. (Don't mean to split hairs, but when you work for an AHL franchise...)

Bren R.

#84283 03/09/05 02:19 PM
aficionado
aficionado
i wondered if i had that right or not, I figured since you worked for the Moose you would know for sure. I must admit that I have never really followed the AHL that closely, but I suppose I'll have to start.

"Chickens don't clap."
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kevin1), 372 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup