Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OT: Strategies for Wife Approval
#84247 03/06/05 07:28 PM
local
OP Offline
local
I have several strategies for getting those things I want. They are listed in favorite to least favorite in order.

All you need to do to get that new expensive toy is contemplate taking up a new hobby or sport she would consider excessively dangerous and or expensive(even if you consider it so as well). I used the old motorcycle ploy(probably one of the best), although I have a bike I just start talking about upgrading to a new supersport maybe even for racing( I dont like sport bikes too much and would probably kill myself if I tried to race one). Hehe. works like a charm. She is always afraid I will kill myself on my slow ass cruiser, the mere mention of a crotch rocket is almost as good as a blank check.

Or if your wife is the jealous type, like mine, think of something that would put you in close contact with younger prettier versions of her. It doesnt matter if it is something you would never do, just as long as she thinks you will. Then mention if you got the new toy you probably would not have time do such and such. Works sometimes.

And the last option is bribery. It isnt that your wife doesnt want you to have nice stuff, just that it is not really for both of you and sometimes can be quite expensive. This option can double the price of a purchase though. If your wife wants new furniture or piece of jewelry tell her that you both work hard and deserve to treat yourselves to something nice. Hopefully whatever she wants isnt too expensive. This sometimes will work, but might not be worth the price you pay. I have learned this the hard way. I have volunteered to do numerous projects such as painting and building and whatever thing she comes up with. A nice night out on the town, flowers, whatever it is she likes. Hopefully you know what your wife likes. If not you have more serious problems. Out of the blue do all these things that really seem to impress a wife. Wait on her hand and foot. Perform your manly duties like you used to before you were married. Cook for her etc... Do this every now and then and dont ask for anything. If you try to get that new $1000 DVD player the first time you wine and dine her she will smell a rat. Wifes are genetically fundamentally incapable of seeing the difference between a 39.99 WalMart special Apex DVD and a nice new Denon. Overall this tactic isnt too bad even if you dont get that new toy, you are bound to get something out of it...

The last option is not a pretty one. It can become quite nasty when you put the shoe on the other foot. Whenever she wants something I point out that it is not really necessary and costs too much. When she gets mad I tell her that is the same thing she tells me whenever I want something. This usually leads to arguments and name calling, and occasionally threats. I usually dont say anything when my wife makes big purchases, she apparently doesnt feel the need to discuss it before she buys a new $800 sewing machine. Sometimes it is good to treat them the way they treat you and they realize how annoying it is.

I would say get a new wife but you never know how they will change after they get that ring on their finger. Very high risk factor, not to mention the financial ruin of divorce that we men usually face.

If you find one that works for you be careful not to overuse it, it must be used when there is a must have situation at hand.

M80ti's, VP150, QS8's
Re: OT: Strategies for Wife Approval
#84248 03/06/05 07:54 PM
shareholder in the making
Or you could just have separate bank accounts and a joint account, and give each other an equal allowance. Works like a charm...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#84249 03/06/05 10:24 PM
aficionado
aficionado
i got my Axioms by using that first strategy! i had/have my heart set on getting one of the '05 Mustangs and have been prepping the wife for about 3 years for it. well since i work about 45 miles away from home, pretty much all backroads, and given the fact i would have had to sell my '98 Mazda 626 (darn!) to get it...we "mutually" decided that a 300hp rear wheel drive car would NOT be the best choice for me to be driving in the winter. That, and the fact that when the prices were announced for the Mustangs (which were lower than what i originally thought they were gonna be) i asked my wife "Hey sweetie,, what's $26 thousand dollars?" and after about 5 seconds of looking puzzled replied, "Ummm...my salary?" OUCH! not a good sign! Flash forward a few hours "Well honey," I said. "Since I won't be getting a pony for Christmas...I've been thinking about getting a home theater system" Worked like a charm. Though because she's a smart cookie, she figured out this scam. As I'm unpacking my M60's she comes up and proceeds to tell me she's on to my "Palpatine-ish" plan and says that i've been meticulously planning this for years, like I had gotten myself elected Supreme Chancellor years before just so I could go and kill all the Jedi. Oh well, I'll just have to use one of the other methods to get the plasma this christmas!

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
#84250 03/06/05 10:54 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

separate bank accounts

that works about as good as sucking frozen molasses thru a straw...

i made the mistake of even suggesting that scenario to my wife once..... ONCE...

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#84251 03/06/05 11:17 PM
Nah, the trick is to make sure each of you pulls the same amount in allowance. Plus, she suggested it.

The other good one is to get her interested in the hobby.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#84252 03/07/05 12:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've said it once and I'll say it again.
It sure is nice to be single.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#84253 03/07/05 02:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My goodness....how about honest and trusting relationships that value putting the other first? Sacrificing for those we love?
Seems we are stressing our independance at the expense of a true open relationship.

This thread is a sad commentary on relationships.....

No offense intended to those who post......

#84254 03/07/05 03:19 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Nah, we're just having fun. Getting agreement the right way is a lot of work, it's nice to dream about alternatives.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#84255 03/07/05 04:59 AM
devotee
devotee
The best way I have found is that when you buy, let's say, some M60's, mention the sub came as a "package deal". Well.......it did....and that is what I'm sticking with...:)

#84256 03/07/05 07:34 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I would say get a new wife but you never know how they will change after they get that ring on their finger.

No, no... you misunderstood "Ray's Law #1" - it's SELL the wife, not trade her in!!

In reply to:

Very high risk factor, not to mention the financial ruin of divorce that we men usually face.

Try being engaged to a family lawyer, how's that for the Sword of Damocles hanging over your head? I think I'll start twitching a lot and leaving Gun and Ammo magazines around the house... just sow that seed of doubt.

In reply to:

She is always afraid I will kill myself on my slow ass cruiser, the mere mention of a crotch rocket is almost as good as a blank check.

I think a buddy said it best - the hell do I want to go fast for? I'm out to be seen when I'm on my bike!

Bren R.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020