shareholder in the making
What does MAME stand for?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: OT: MAME Arcades
#84661 03/10/05 07:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#84662 03/10/05 09:42 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

I cant help you with the original cabinet versions but there is this
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AHOYR/103-9505077-9393439?v=glance
Defender was my all time favorite, and this has it exactly the way you remember it except for the Game cube or PS1 or 2 deal.
It also has Robotron plus many other great old games like "Marble Madness", "Joust 1&2""Defender II", "Spy Hunter". I still spend hours playing Defender.
Another good one is this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dvideogames%26field-keywords%3Dnamco%20museum%26results-process%3Ddefault%26dispatch%3Dsearch/ref%3Dpd%5Fsl%5Faw%5Ftops-1%5Fvideogames%5F3112760%5F2/103-9505077-9393439
I have about 30 games for my Gamecube but spend 99% of play time on these two.

Bray,

Funny you should mention those...already have them for our Gamecube...we play them a lot too...although my wife can't get a handle on the controls for Defender on the Gamecube. She is only proficient on the original button layout on a standup machine.

I have done some searching on-line for the original standup games...$1,495 for a new / refurbished one is kind of steep especially when you are trying to hang on to whatever you can to use as the down payment on a new house.

Maybe when I hit the lottery...ALthough it would be nice to get one and have it set up in the new gameroom without her knowing about it...but she would kill me when she found out how much...

Will keep looking...

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#84663 03/10/05 09:51 PM
Here in the Bay Area there is a yearly convention called California Extreme with all the old video games, some for sale! I go every year. All the machines are set to free play, and it's only about $20 for the day. Great fun!

Me, I want a pinball machine, but there's just no room in my house.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#84664 03/10/05 10:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
WhatFurrer
Have you played RE4 yet? I started playing and got sidetracked. AWESOME graphics, especially on my plasma. But I'm not an FPS gamer so the controls are tricky for me to pick up.

#84665 03/10/05 10:18 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

WhatFurrer
Have you played RE4 yet? I started playing and got sidetracked. AWESOME graphics, especially on my plasma. But I'm not an FPS gamer so the controls are tricky for me to pick up.

If you're referring to Resident Evil 4, no. I am not fond of games such as that not to mention I really don't want my 13 year old son playing it...not to mention my wife would have a fit if she saw it in the house.

I am currently still trying to complete Metroid Prime...

My son got "Medal of Honor - something" for his birthday...my wife is really sensitive to the Iraq conflict right now and she has been commenting on how she does not like him playing that one...

We try to stay more kid friendly...even my son would prefer those...and has said so...

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#84666 03/10/05 10:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I can understand that. My gamecube doesn't get turned on till after 10 PM when everyone's asleep anyways.

For kid-friendly games, I've been playing Pikmin 2. LOVE IT, I finished Pikmin and got hooked. I bought Paper Mario ebay but it got stolen in transit. I also just picked Mario Kart and a broadband adapter to play w/ some folks on this website.

Cube your enthusiasm

#84667 03/11/05 01:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Pikmin is one of my favorites also, but I'm not that crazy about Pikmin2.
Metroid Prime 2 will be my next game.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#84668 03/11/05 05:39 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Here is a link to a cheesy web page I threw together with some photos froma couple of years ago that I dug up. I still have all of these, but right now, with construction in the basement for my HT, they are covered and crammed in a corner.

http://www.buol.us/gameroom/gameroom.htm

Here is a quick shot of the arcade (no nice side art on it) but my web page has more, plus my pinball and pachinko...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#84669 03/11/05 06:11 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Your's looks like the standard Defender style cabinet. I started with LuCiD's Defender plans, and customized the front

Everyone starts with LuCiD's plans *laughs*

Actually, I started with a set of plans that were modified from LuCiD's - the guy that redrew them was a honking big guy like me - I'm 6' 3" (you'll notice the control surface is about 4" higher than traditional arcade height - there's actually a stool that usually sits in front of it so the missus can play without her hands being at chest height) The body and surface were slightly narrowed from LuCiD's plans (to match a classic cabinet more correctly and so it would go down my old basement stairs) but the control panel bump out on the front is MUCH deeper (for the extra crapola at the top) and wider (a friend's a friend, but I don't want to be rubbing shoulders all night with one of my buddies).

The controls are pretty plain vanilla - two Happs Supers (8-way), 6 buttons per player (I never use the top row - I'm not a Street Fighter guy), there's a Oscar Controls spinner between the two players, a yellow "Esc" button, a black "pause" button, 1P and 2P start, and on the front there are buttons to fake coin drops (the coin door works too, of course, though the right hand coin mech has seen it's share of use!) and there are two middle buttons which work as TAB and Enter to get to the MAME menu.

The cabinet is scratch built from 11/16 MDF, the control surface is arborite, the marquee is back printed on 10pt. lexan backlight stock (I love working in print!) looks a LOT better than a paper marquee. The monitor is a 20" monitor/receiver (ie: a TV with a sharper mask and all connections are BNC), the computer is an AMD 550, the whole thing is cooled by two fans, an 8cm in the top to cool the TV, a 6cm in the bottom to cool the system. The interior is wired with a great "contractor-type" power bar in the bottom which utilized 3 standard sockets, which allowed me to pop some Romex into the last socket and install a box and plug up inside the marquee for the speakers (Altec-Lansing 5W powered) and the fluorescent. All the arcade lamps and fans are run off a separate AT power supply, I was afraid of asking too much of the ATX that powers the PC, turns out I had more trouble trying to create a big enough minimum load for the voltage regulator in the AT supply. The two fans and coin reject lamps barely hit the min. load. If a lamp burns out, the voltage from the P/S will go wonky I'm sure. If it becomes a problem, I can always cross the 5V and 12V lines with resistors. You want a load, I'll give you a load! *G*

The coin door was purchased from a local arcade (Magicland for Chess and Sid) - that was a bit nostalgic for me, for what I paid for it, I almost could have got a new Happ coin door, but I wanted a used Coinco one, a REAL, 80s arcade door that had seen action. And it had seen action. Took it apart, rewelded a few spot welds. Then wanted to strip the old finish. So I used some sandpaper, which just polished it... sandblasted it, which just took the shine off. Ended up working it with a coarse wire wheel for the better part of an afternoon (and using up two wheels!)... filled a small dent with some metal-to-metal filler, gave it a light coating with vehicle undercoating wit a shutz gun to bring back that dappled powdercoat look, then painted it with PPG DBU 9700.

The Rebel paint theme has nothing to do with the Confederate army, it's painted and named for the Forgotten Rebels - punk band out of Markham ON.

I had the parts and plans for another cabinet based on a Missile Command cab that would have had a 4-way stick for Pac-Man, Burgertime, etc and a trackball for Marble Madness, Crystal Castles, but decided to ditch the project and sold the parts to some guy in the states for his.

Bren R.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020