Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Designing a Home Theater Room
#84792 03/11/05 02:51 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Wow - you guys pulled this off while I was in bed. Excellent thread!!!

Beth - that looks like a great overall plan. I'm thinking about a projector in our new home.

Glad you picked Axioms. You must be thrilled. Wait until you hook those bad boys up and take them for a spin!!!

#84793 03/11/05 03:00 PM
shareholder in the making
nothing wrong with Pioneer, especially the Elite lineup.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#84794 03/11/05 03:14 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i think thats gonna be an awesome HT room.

BTW- kudos on the awesome graphics.. i think this world would be much better if everthing was in pictures.. sure would make things easier..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#84795 03/11/05 04:22 PM
BethR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hey sirquack,
In reply to:

Make sure you don't run the fan while viewing, and I would make sure you keep the fan dusted often with a swiffer

I made an assumption when I read this the first time... you are talking about the ceiling fan, right? I don't have a choice of whether the fan inside the DLP runs when viewing... it does. I'm not sure I'd be able to get to the fan inside the DLP to dust it off, either.

But I have noticed dust collecting on the front of the lens, already. (We've had it since 25-Dec-2004). I have one of those little air bellows with a camel hair brush on the front of it that they sell (sold?) in camera stores. When I get around to it, I plan on using that to get the dust off the lens when it gets bad. I'm really leary of even using something that gentle on the glass.

BethR - El Dorado Hills, CA
To thine own self be true.
#84796 03/11/05 04:24 PM
BethR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
BrenR:
In reply to:

*breaks into a wicked air-guitar of D.R.I.'s Couch Slouch*

Dude! You always make me laugh!

#84797 03/11/05 04:26 PM
BethR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Ray
In reply to:

Wait until you hook those bad boys up and take them for a spin!!!

Counting the time till they arrive in hours, now! Thrilled is a good word for it... kinda weak, but at least in the right direction.

#84798 03/11/05 04:27 PM
Yep I was talking about the ceiling fan. I'm just thinking that if it runs often, you could be blowing dust around the room, and in theory, that can migrate into the projector. With my Z2, there is potential for dust blobs to form on the LCD panels, it hasn't happened yet, but if it does I have some DIY instructions for cleaning them with compressed air. I don't know if DLP's can potentially suffer from a similar fate, I assume dust can get into anything....

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#84799 03/11/05 04:45 PM
BethR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
sirquack:
In reply to:

nothing wrong with Pioneer, especially the Elite lineup.

Based on what I paid for it (not a lot - and it was part of a bundle w/ CD player and 5 itty bitty litte speakers and a tiny little sub) combined with the old adage "you get what you pay for", I'd always assumed it was in the class of "not bad for Costco, but not really up to home theater standards." I've been mostly pleased with it, but there are some things that annoy me.

The audio quality seems quite good and there's lots of features that I didn't expect in something that cheap (like individual calibration of all the speakers, not just a set of "balance" and "fader" controls).

The video quality is also good, but there absence of upconverting is annoying.

The old VCR is connected to the receiver via Composite. The Cable box is connected via S-Video. The DVD player is connected via Component. I had Composite to the old (I mean really old!) TV we had before the projector and all of the above went across this one connection just fine. When we connected the projector via Component, we didn't get any Cable or VCR, just DVD. So I ran ANOTHER cable (S-Video) from the receiver to the projector and Cable showed up, but not the VCR. Sigh. So now I have all three cable sets going from the receiver to the projector. I'm not looking forward to pulling that much wire through the walls when I do the ceiling mount installation.

#84800 03/11/05 04:48 PM
BethR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
bigjohn
In reply to:

kudos on the awesome graphics

Thank you! Thank you very much!

Funny thing is, I can do drafting like nobody's business, but I can't draw for @%$#! I can remember watching my grandpa draw a freehand line straighter than I could do with a T-Square! My freehand isn't anywhere near so good.

Thanks Again,

#84801 03/11/05 05:22 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hi Beth,

I just wanted to join in on the fun. Obviously, your project and its presentation have captured everyone's fancy.

Lovely drawings. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

With the exception of Bren's always rapier-like comic relief, I think everyone has been pretty helpful without being nauseatingly ingratiating.

Even though that is a big room, you have a LOT of stuff in it. I have only a couple of observations that might qualify as value-added relative to what's already been said.

1. I'm concerned about placement of the left M60 relative to the window seat. Get it "clear" if you can, and soften the window seat box acoustically if possible.

2. You don't HAVE to put the QS8's that high if you don't want to. I think it will be fine, but they'd likely be just as fine on the vertical wall. I'd put them a little behind the listening position; I can't tell if that's your plan or not.

3. Really, try to get the sub out of the cabinet. End table or under the foosball table or something.

4. I have M60/VP100/QS8 in a somewhat larger space (cubic-feet wise) and it is wonderful. Especially since you will be only ~10 feet away from the screen, I don't think you need to torture yourself over the VP150. YMMV.

I'll bet you have a lovely home. Thank you for sharing your project with us.

Add Beth to the Texas Axiom Tour list!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082