Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Help me help my old man out! pretty please :)
#84985 03/12/05 01:56 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Hello all my Axiomite buddies! My home theatre has a front projector, so I need help with advice for my dad who is looking at Plasmas and LCD's.

He is looking at various models of both Plasma and LCD's around the 32" size to be wall mounted above his gas-fireplace mantel.

I told him to find a model that has a built-in HDTV tuner, which is not a problem, many models have this ability. Also, he has Mediacom cable television currently, and all the salesman are telling him to also find a unit that has a built in Cable card slot. It is my understanding that with this he can then receive the digital cable signals, including the HDTV channels?

Anyway, he was already to go out and buy a Sharp Aquas 32" LCD that had both above and a higher resolution than most plasmas and lcds, I believe it is 13xx x 786 or something like that...

Here is where he is confused, he was talking to the cable company yesterday. They told him to get a unit that is HDTV-Ready and no cable slot. They have a box that will do everything he needs. I assume they offer a box that has a built in HDTV tuner and also carries the digital signals he may need.

I guess my worry is that he may not always be on cable, he might get a dish someday, or who knows what other technology is knocking at our door.

So what do you all think, am I understanding everything correctly, or is there more information I'm not considering.

Thanks in advance for your comments....

Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Re: Help me help my old man out! pretty please :)
#84986 03/12/05 02:11 PM
Randy:
Unfortunately, I'm no help with 90% of this but want to throw a few tidbits out there:

I've read editorials (Sound and Vision, I think) describing how cable companies really try to deter cable card slots. Why? Because they make good money renting the boxes. I think it's worth taking the cable companies' advice with a grain of salt when they have a financial interest in the decision going one way or another.

On the other side of the coin, investing in a model with a built-in cable card may not be a good idea as of yet in that the cards are only in their first generation... there's no two way communication to allow PPV or channel guide functions. That capability is coming soon in the next generation, but it's not here yet.
In reply to:

I guess my worry is that he may not always be on cable, he might get a dish someday, or who knows what other technology is knocking at our door.

Personally, I'm also not a fan of getting a built-in tuner unless there is good terrestrial (antenna) HD reception. As an example, my area is in a little valley and antenna reception is very poor. I don't foresee any reason over the life of my TV that I would not need cable or satellite reception, so why pay for a built-in tuner? Besides, I really, really, like the hi-def DVR capabilities built in to many boxes now. It sounds as if you're saying your dad will need cable or satellite. Those boxes have built-in tuners (sometimes DUAL tuners) so why pay extra for one in the TV?

I'm really not an expert in this, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on any points. I figure if I'm right, though, I've sved someone else some typing!

Just wait for others to confirm these points before you call your dad!

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 03/12/05 02:14 PM.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#84987 03/12/05 04:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
As Mark implied, the first thing to do is ask the cable company "Is there a charge for the box, and if there is, how much is it"?

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#84988 03/13/05 02:07 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Mark and Jack

I did find out that the box the cable company is trying to sell him on does have a built in recorder for recording/playback, I guess it is a PVR as Mark suggests..

They did say that the cards for the cable slots have to be reprogrammed from time to time, sounds like when you get new cards from your satellite providers.

I think he is going back to talk to some of the salesman pushing the LCD's and Plazma's to get additional feedback after talking to the cable company.

I really appreciate your help..

Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617