Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Actively listening to music....
#85098 03/13/05 05:49 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
I think the fact that people hear sound differently is interesting, but has anyone else wondered just how discerning their ears are or whether their music listening skills could be improved?

This morning, while reading the Sunday paper, I had a classical concert on that was on INHD. I DVR'd it a couple of weeks ago, because I want to try to teach my hearing to be a bit more discriminatory. When many instruments in an orchestra are playing at the same time, I can't aurally separate them and wonder if others can. Yes, during quieter moments I have no problem, but when everyone is playing at the same time, I think they could remove the whole string section and I might not notice it over the horn section and the kettle drums and everything else! I thought that having the "visuals" of the various instruments would help me to learn to discriminate them a bit better.

I wonder if:

A- I don't physically hear as well as others. I did have my hearing tested a couple of years ago and everything was fine. Yes, that was a couple of years ago, but I don't believe it's worsened since then and I noted this problem five years ago. Maybe, despite hearing tones at the doctor's office OK, too many years of cranking Ted Nugent has caused some damage that involves "discernation"?

B-I'm just not a disciplined listener. Maybe I don't know classical well enough to be completely familiar with each of the instruments?

C-Sometimes I swear I have "listening ADD". I really can't seem to just sit and listen to a CD anymore. Is it because I always have 100 things to do at any given time and my attention span has necessarily become the same as a gnats? Note above how I was reading the Sunday paper while watching the concert…

D-Maybe my equipment/room is not up to snuff. OK, I feel confident in my Axioms and Denon receiver, but maybe close reflections in my small room are smearing the sound and causing problems?

So……
1- Has anyone ever had the privilege of hearing a really, really nice system in a room that is very good acoustically? I know that because of the snobbery often encountered and the fact that my wallet would never allow such purchases anyway (and therefore I'd be wasting a salesman's' time) I've never had the opportunity to listen to a $100,000 reference system at some really high end dealer. I can't help but wonder just how much better it sounds than what I'm used to…..

2- Has anyone (particularly those of you with "room problems" such as myself) ever had the opportunity to just haul your speakers and electronics to a "good" room to hear them? Ever since I've gotten my Axioms, I've had the desire to go rent a good sized meeting room in a hotel for three hours and just listen to the speakers in a room with carpeting and no nearby sidewalls!

3- Is anyone familiar with a "music listening" course? This might sound strange, but let me explain: I spend a fair amount on various software training series sets on DVD to learn much of the software that I use in my business. For me, a $250 set of DVDs that offers me 20 hours of expert training in some deep software app is well worth it. Likewise, if there was a CD or DVD training series of "exercises" in hearing, I think it would be well worth one or two hundred dollars to substantially help me to enjoy active listening to music more often.

On the other side of the coin, I might be better served to leave things as they are before I feel compulsions to buy higher levels of equipment or accessories to tweak the sound?

I guess, in short: How many of you "actively" listen to sound for long periods as opposed to having your system on while multitasking? How many remain motionless in the sweet spot? How many wonder if they're not hearing everything their system offers or wonder if their exact system would sound so much better/worse if it was in a completely different environment?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: Actively listening to music....
#85099 03/13/05 05:57 PM
This is probably not helpful, but I've got the same quasi (but probably not) ADD thing. I cannot sit and listen to music and only do that. Tried, failed. That also goes for other things. It seems I always need to be doing 2 things at once. Unfortunately, I'm not good at doing 2 things at once...

As far as classical goes, I can sometimes pick out the instruments. It's something I actively try to do when listening to rock, so much so that it's not really active any more, just automatic. I couldn't tell you how I learned to do it, though.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#85100 03/13/05 06:28 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Mark,
I think that most of us don't really have the time to just sit down and actually listen to a cd. The last time I did that was when my M60's arrived last September. Most of the time I am busy helping my wife out with our young son, doing household chores etc. Some of us lead pretty busy lives. The only time I really sit and listen to cd's is reading the paper or watching a DVD movie or concert video. I am very seldom in the sweat spot when it comes to listening to music.
I have always had a pretty good ear for music. I played drums when I was younger and developed an appreciation for all styles of music. My father played drums in his youth and loved jazz. My parents took me to see Buddy Rich when I was 12 years old. I still have the autographed photo and a pair of his sticks! A music listening course might be worthwhile. Generally speaking, some people just hear the music where others can actually pick out the exact instrument. Fortunately, I am able to pick out most instruments in a recording but not all.
Cheers,
Shaun

#85101 03/13/05 09:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow !
It really surprises me that you guys cant just sit and listen to a cd.
I find that when I put a cd in that I really like, I end up in the "sweet spot" with eyes closed, trying to catch every detail that I can.(more since I got Axioms than ever before)
However, I have been accused by my mother and girlfriend of having VERY selective hearing.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#85102 03/13/05 09:59 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Mark,

I've heard arrays of reference speakers professionally balanced and placed in recording studios and radio engineering rooms. It really helps in hearing exactly what's going out on the air (without adding in effects, exaggerated bass, etc) but sadly, it doesn't help me pick out orchestral instruments. I don't have much trouble picking out different guitars in a rock situation, but that's mostly because it's my prefered musical choice. I understand the draw to classical, I just don't share in it.

As for actively listening - not in the least. If I'm listening critically in a mixdown environment, then yes (and even then I take "smoke breaks" every 20 minutes or so to "cleanse my ear pallette")... but as for listening while doing other work, no, I'll be waiting for a favorite song on a disc and completely miss that it was even played.

Bren R.

#85103 03/13/05 11:47 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Bray,
I used to be able to sit and listen to a cd in it's entirety in my "single" days when I was master of my domain! Life has changed with marriage and child. I wouldn't change my life style now, I am busy, but very happy! Sometimes I will make a point of sitting and listening to a certain song when I have time...

#85104 03/13/05 11:56 PM
OP Offline
I used to put headphones on and listen to three or four Hendrix albums in a row. I loved it; I could lose myself and feel every note.

Now, I get three songs into a CD and my mind is wandering. Like Bray said, I'll put on a CD while I'm working and then not hear any of it. I wonder if an incredibly short attention span is much more common now than 20 years ago with today's busy lifestyles?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#85105 03/14/05 12:29 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
The other point made here is a simple difference in priorities. Now that you have many and complex responsibilities, how many minutes go by where you aren't thinking about SOMETHING.

We should also consider the effect age has on the listening piece. Not as easy to "lose yourself" like you used to.

#85106 03/14/05 01:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I guess in all fairness,if I were married with children it WOULD be a different story. I'm sure the trade offs of having a wife and children are well worth missing out on some tunes.
Maybe someday.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#85107 03/14/05 01:43 AM
axiomite
axiomite
As much as I hate to admit it, I do crosswords while I listen to music. I can't just do nothing and listen to music. And if I close my eyes and try to get into it, I fall asleep. At least with the crosswords, I'm actively doing something that doesn't require a great amount of concentration. In this way, the music listening is the primary function, and the crossword is the secondary. I guess it just gives me an excuse to sit down and enjoy music. After spending money on all this stuff, I better make the time to use it. It helps that I'm single, too.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020