Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dirty Power???
#85249 03/14/05 07:42 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
At work we are throwing away a bunch of older equipment, and I came across a device that claims to "eliminate dirty power"...

It was originally bought with some Sharp copier that we had, and on the used market today still sells for like $150.

Anyway, I have a very nice surge protector at home, and was wondering if this would work better...

Here is the information I have on the unit.

It is called "SAVIN Quality Control"
Model: D5130NT
Voltage: 120
Freq: 60 HZ
AMPS: 15
Watts: 1800

Look under Digital QC under Products...

It looks like the one I have is a current model. In fact, I think we have several of these, so if they are of any value, even better.

Any insight from someone here would be great.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Re: Dirty Power???
#85250 03/14/05 08:53 PM
shareholder in the making
Interesting Nick...any chance there are two of them just kidding... I'll be interested in seeing what you think or the feedback you receive. I've been tossing the idea around of getting a Line Conditioner/Surge unit also...

I know Monster $$$$$ sells some expensive stuff, but maybe Panamax or some other brand may be recommended.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#85251 03/14/05 10:40 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK. I figured, why not ask the manufacturer...

Here is what they said.
-----------------------------------------------
Thank you for your eMail.

Although we recommend our products for digital office
machines (copiers, faxes, etc), ESP devices can be
compatible with other forms of electronic equipment,
as long as the proper specifications for the connected
device match our product (120 volt 15amp, etc). Our
power filters can be used for computers, audio/visual
equipment, televisions, etc.

Because of the strong filtration capabilities for high
frequency noise (EMI), our products are not compatible
with GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) circuits
commonly found in basements or the outdoors. These
circuits are can be found in the home as well.

Please contact me with any further questions. Thank
you for your support of ESP!

Sincerely,
Ryan Smythe
Midwest Region Manager
ESP
-----------------------------------------------

So it looks like it will work as long as I don't go beyond the volts and amps (which I sure wouldn't think that I would)...

Hey Sirquack, I may be able to hook you up with one of these. They have network and phone jacks, plus 4 plugs on one end, so there is room for more than just 1 device plugged in to it.

I will try to check it out this week to see if we have more.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#85252 03/15/05 02:28 AM
Nick, the power supply section of your 54TX(and all other well-designed amplifiers)uses a transformer, rectifier and filter capacitors to supply clean DC to the amplifying section; the 120V AC from the wall outlet("dirty" or not)isn't used. No separate power conditioner is necessary.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#85253 03/15/05 02:50 AM
John, what about surge protecters? So in your opinion the line conditioners that Panamax, Monster, and others are not needed, some of them are very expensive and carry warranties for thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. Just curious, I'm not an expert in this area for AV, however, I do support our Document imaging area at our company, and we have 4 production scanners that run about $30 grand a piece, we have them hooked up to UPS/Surge equipment...

randy

#85254 03/15/05 03:30 AM
Randy, there're two entirely separate questions involved; "cleaning" the power to purportedly improve sound quality, and surge protection to keep the equipment from destruction or at least serious damage. As I discussed in my previous reply, the power supply section of amplifiers supplies clean DC for use in amplification. As to surge protection, audio equipment can handle surges of hundreds of volts routinely and an unusual surge of more than a few thousand volts(e.g. from an almost direct lightning strike)would destroy the power cord before it reached the components. A surge protector might be of some use for the in-between area, but I use none. As I've said before(to Jack's delight), if a lightning strike destroyed my equipment, I'd just view it as being God's way of telling me that it was time to upgrade.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#85255 03/15/05 03:45 AM
I copy that John, even though I live in the midwest where storms/tornado's are frequent, I suppose if my home was hit by such a direct strike, I would have other things to worry about, like getting my family out of the house before it burned down and then call my insurance agent

#85256 03/15/05 04:57 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Although John is correct that most electronics have some ability to present the wall current to the electronics within parameters the units require, this does not mean all units handle fluctuations from wall currents 100% perfect all the time. Heck, check out some of the latest computer power supply reviews where some are tested for such variances in current. Some fail miserably, some pass just within specs, some go beyond. It does not always come down to brand name although usually most brand names of reasonable cost are effective.
For audio equipment, if the power dips low enough, chances are the unit will shut off, but in the case of some other electronics, like monitors, you can get flickering in the image. Not all electronics are made with robust capacitors to protect against mild surges and dips all the time. With a bit of higher volumes on my Onkyo i can get the lights on the display to dim with the beat of the music! What does that say about its 'robust' power supply?
I don't believe in line conditioning since the majority of the time such current fluctuations do nothing and the user will not notice them. It really can depend a bit on your area, but i still wouldn't put much money in conditioners.

As for surge protection, i think John is being a bit liberal in saying the power cord will burn up long before a lightning strike can damage electronics. As a person who lived through a lightning strike while in university residence (it hit 20 feet outside our room window), i can say with experience that such statements are not true. The lightning strike blew out a lamp post, burnt a housemates portable radio and permanently fried the switch on a neighboring flourescent light such that the occupant could not turn it off. It also knocked 2 guys off their feet who were tossing a football about 15 feet away and one of them lost his eyebrows for a couple of weeks.
The surge of electrons from a lightning bolt is truly amazing, powerful and of course as fast as electricity is. Believe me when i tell you surge protectors are useful things. Power cords and the like will NOT save your equipment.
My wife's family also had a lightning bolt strike their house when she was a teenager. It went up their modem phone line and destroyed their computer. Such experiences do not support the line burnout hypothesis.
Personally i believe if a surge protector can save the equipment one has spent time putting together (possibly even unique components) and still enjoys, then buy one. Not all house insurance is that reliable in replacing thousands of dollars of hifi electronics. It is an easy $20 solution. I like my system and i hate dealing with insurance companies so i bought a $100 Tripplite to plugin about 6 items in 2 sockets (no big power suckers other than the RPTV though). It made it alot easier for cable organization to boot.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#85257 03/16/05 02:23 AM
chesseroo,

you make some good points. It's important to keep in mind the energy contained in a lightning strike isn't all going to go to one place. It's like a cluster bomb that fragments into many smaller but still deadly payloads.

Surge protection is a good way to keep those payloads from reaching your sensitive electronic devices, unless of course you'd prefer it if God set your upgrade schedule.

#85258 03/16/05 05:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good post chess. I don't buy into the mega dollar power filters etc but I see no harm in running a decent surge protector. I had a an old Parasound HCA 1500 blow up right in front of me as a result of a surge due to construction in my area. The guys knocked out some kind of box and it caused all sorts of problems in the area. Since then, anything worth anything in my house is running through one.

The one exception to this however that may sound odd is when I have the luxury of having higher priced and better built amps in my house. There is enough in there already to look after most surges. Odyssey, Parasound and a few others actually push people away from using anything in the way of inline filtration or surge protection.

#85259 03/16/05 05:44 AM
local
local
I was home one day when a lightening strike hit just outside my old apartment. It followed the phone line to the DSL modem and fried it; but thankfully stopped there. The event also fried the microwave in the kitchen, the hair dryer in the bathroom, and the DVD player in the living room.

Funny thing is that the DVD player was plugged into the same outlet as my TV,stereo, and lamp; which were unharmed. I had the DVD player plugged directly into the top plug of the outlet and a powerstrip/surge protecor plugged into the bottom of the outlet. The TV, stereo, and lamp were plugged into the surge protector. (I am sure I meant to connect the DVD to the surge protector and the lamp to the wall; but goofed).

Now, maybe the electricity only followed the top plug-in of the outlet. OR, maybe the surge protector did its job. I suppose there is no way of knowing for sure. However, since then I have always made sure everything of value is hooked up to a surge protector. Nothing too expensive; but not the cheapos either.

Having a surge protector is good insurance, but when the lightening starts, I unplug all the goodies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters