Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
DVD Audio Recommendations please...
#85324 03/15/05 04:22 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I finally bought cables for playing multi-line DVD-Audio......sheesh cables are getting expensive...

Anyway, can anyone here recommend GREAT DVD Audio discs and where to get them? The local Best Buy has next to nothing...

Thanks!

Re: DVD Audio Recommendations please...
#85325 03/15/05 04:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yasa
Try "Tower" records on Lemon Ave. They have a good selection of DVD-As and SACDs.
Does your player do SACDs?

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#85326 03/15/05 05:18 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Great, I will try that place. Thank you!...

My DVD player only plays DVD-A, I'm just trying it out for now . If I can hear a difference, I'll go ahead and get a universal player that plays both DVD-A and SACD. That's why I was trying looking for a GREAT example of a DVD-A, not a mediocre one where I might be more inclined to say...ugh...this is not worth it, my [...] CD sounds just as good.

#85327 03/15/05 05:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I wish I could give you some DVD-A recomendations, but all I have are SACDs, and I LOVE THEM. There is a HUGE difference between a well mixed SACD and a regular CD.
You might try Virgin records off 75 and Mockingbird too. I havent been there yet, but I understand they have a good store.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#85328 03/15/05 05:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Dallas,

Not sure if you are a fan of Jazz or Big Band music, but here is a suggestion:

"Swinging for the Fences" by Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band.

They have another called "XXL".

Both are good but "Swingin' for the Fences" will give your system a workout.

I was skeptical when I saw the name as I would not normally purchase anything with the word "Phat" in the title of the band. A friend lent me his copy after he played it for me at his place...I was amazed.

It is a big band that has music being currently written for it by all the members but Gordon Goodwin used to be the band leader for the band backing up Johnny Mathis.

Also, Sting's "Brand New Day" is mastered very well...I recommend it as well...

These are the three DVD-A's that I have that sound great...Queen's "The Game" is a remastered DVD-A that is mediocre at best...still interesting to listen to though.

And to top it off, I don't have a DVD-A player...just listening to the DTS tracks or DD tracks...

Hope you find one of these of interest.

Lots out there...

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#85329 03/15/05 07:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If you enjoy Diana Krall, try her "When I Look In Your Eyes" DVD-A. It's a wonderful mix and mastering job. I also echo Steve's (What Furrer's) suggestion of "Swingin' For The Fences."

Here are some suggestions for places to look for them. DISCLAIMER - In no way should these be considered"recommendations" I have little or no experience with any of them. They are just places I have picked up from forums and searches. Hopefully, others here, who have had experience with any or all of them, will offer their evaluations.

Amazon.com - DVD-A

Audio Basics

BuyDVDNow

CD Universe (I know it says DVD Universe, but if you go to CDUniverse.com and click on the DVD-A link, this is where you end up. )

Digital Eyes DVD

DVD Empire

DVD Planet

Elusive Disc

Music Direct

Send Me Movies

And here is a source which reviews DVD-As, and SACDs, including the recording fidelity, which can helpful in avoiding bad discs with good music. High Fidelity Review

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#85330 03/16/05 01:05 PM
devotee
devotee
Try the new Pet Sounds from the Beach Boys. Even if you are not a big BB fan, this is an amazing album, and they did a great job with the remaster and mixing of it to multi-channel.
And everyone also seems to really like the Goobye Yellow Brick Road. I've got it on SACD, and love it, but everyone I know likes the DVD-A just as much.

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#85331 03/16/05 02:43 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks!...I will try the Brick Road CD

#85332 03/17/05 04:15 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yasa, DVD-As haven't exactly been huge sellers and many of them are sold at what seems to me to be almost rip-off prices. Two very fine ones available at low cost that I'd suggest would be the beautiful music from Swan Lake and a good Alexander Nevsky and shorter pieces.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#85333 03/17/05 05:56 AM
local
local
Nice system you have there. The Mansfield Beech looks great. Anyway, I sure hope that you can play SACD's as well as DVD-A because there's a lot of great titles in both formats. For DVD-A I strongly recommend Porcupine Tree's In Absentia They really are one of the best bands that no one seems to know about, but everyone I've introduced them to has really enjoyed them.

On SACD here's my list:
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon (of course)

Dvorak: Symphony no 8 & 9 "New World"

Holst: The Planets

Dredg: El Cielo

Nickel Creek: Nickel Creek

Hope that helps and enjoy those Axioms.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473