Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Angled Up
#85399 03/15/05 10:44 PM
Robert Offline OP
OP Offline
I was not especially enjoying my purchase until I decided to use the screw jacks at the front of the M60's to angle them up a bit. What a difference! My overall feeling of the Axiom speakers is that they are very good, not great. Great, however, can mean big $$$ (and I was not about to spend big $$$). For what the Axioms provide, which is very good sound and excellent value, they are in fact VERY good, and worth the investment for anyone who is teetering on the fence. I also found that angling them in slightly towards the center had a positive impact on my listening enjoyment. The 150 center is very good, and the QS8 rears are terrific, perhaps the single strongest element of the system. I opted for an Hsu Research 12" subwoofer, which is also excellent and costs less than the Axiom.

I read here that it takes a while for the speakers to break in. How true! It did take a while, but finally, the sounds became sweeter and truer. I began to hear things in my recordings that I never heard before. My one comment is that these speakers do not provide really strong bass. I had JBL Monitors way back when, and their bass response was terrific. The sub helps, but... If someone has a different experience, I would be most interested in listening.

Re: Angled Up
#85400 03/16/05 03:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Robert,

Nice comments on your Axiom speakers. Tweaking the setup of all the main speakers always pays off in sonic dividends.

As to your comments about the JBLs, I think you're confusing the old boomy JBL sound with smooth linear bass extension, which characterizes Axiom's speaker design. Brands like JBL used to add a big hump in the 60 Hz to 500-Hz range, which gave the subjective impression that the speaker had impressive bass output, even if it didn't go all that deep.

In the '60s and '70s that JBL sound came to be known as the "West Coast sound" (kind of thumpy boomy disco-like bass with exaggerated upper treble). Bass coloration like that can be fun at a party but it lends a fat, bloated character to male vocals and some instruments. Modern JBLs tend to be somewhat smoother in the bass.

You will find other threads on this forum about loudspeaker "break-in" but what acutally takes place is a psycho-acoustic "break-in" wherein your ears and brain are accommodating the sound of new sound reproducers in your particular room. Actual loudspeaker measurements and double-blind listening tests in which I've participated show no actual changes whatsoever in the loudspeaker frequency response or the rankings of the speakers by listeners over some years. Any mechanical/acoustical break-in occurs within a few minutes (or less) of powering up the system.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#85401 03/16/05 10:14 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
I have been wondering about the "break-in" period for a while. It probably did take me a week or so for my so-called break-in to occur. Knowing what I know now, I agree that it was ME being broken-in to the precise, clear sound I was experiencing for the first time.

#85402 03/17/05 04:59 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Knowing what I know now, I agree that it was ME being broken-in to the precise, clear sound I was experiencing for the first time.

Like a tongue to the socket from a freshly pulled tooth.

Bren R.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters