Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Plasma vs DLP
#86000 03/18/05 11:01 PM
lomb7 Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I have a friend that is looking into plasma's and DLP's. I have showed him my plasma and he is very impressed but he wanted to know how they stack up against DLP's. I do not know much about DLP's so I wanted to see what the pro's and con's are to them. His room is well lit by sunlight so will that effect the pic quality on a DLP.

Anyway, any help would be great.

Re: Plasma vs DLP
#86001 03/19/05 12:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not a DLP expert either, but I know they can be suspect to a rainbow effect. The kicker is that some people notice it, others don't. DLP users have to figure out if it actually affects them, and whether it matters or not.

#86002 03/19/05 12:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I wouldn't leave out LCD technology either. Just like speakers, there are pros and cons for each technology.

#86003 03/19/05 01:01 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Whats the budget? What size does he want? im no dlp expert but i just got the 52hm84 dlp from toshiba and so far i love it.
Jake

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#86004 03/19/05 01:13 AM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

His room is well lit by sunlight so will that effect the pic quality on a DLP.

The plasma as well... they're no different in that respect. Some feel that the best of the plasmas are a tiny bit better than the the DLPs... but the best of the plasmas are 3X the cost.

My personal opinion is that the only strong reason to choose a plasma over a DLP is if you really want/need to hang it on the wall or you like the "cool factor"....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#86005 03/19/05 01:41 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I just purchased the Mitsubishi WD-52525 DLP and it's totally awesome. The Mitsubishi doesn't produce these “rainbow effects” as often as other DLP sets, but if you've got a trained eye and know what to look for, they show up occasionally. However, most who have viewed this tv can't even tell. There's a review of this tv on my website you can read, along with a review of the Samsung HL-P5063W. If interested just click on my name then the link provided.

#86006 03/19/05 03:47 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I recently spent quite a bit of time looking at DLP's, LCD's & Plasma's to put in my future home, currently have an older Hitachi 53" rear projection screen TV. I ended up ordering a new Hitachi 55" Plasma. There are Pro's & Con's with all types and cost is a major factor. Plasma's are still considerably more expensive than a DLP but what sold me was the viewing angle, you can sit almost anywhere and enjoy the picture, also I think the color saturation is just fantastic with the majority of plasma's when compared to the alternatives. Plasma's however cost much more to run and run hotter (a extended warranty is almost a must have). Depending on your room layout you can be very happy with a DLP, I still enjoy my current Hitachi but I do sit pretty much in line with the screen. Coolness factor wasn't a consideration, I'm probably going to get more smart *!* comments from relatives thinking I wasted my money but you only live once. Can't wait to order my Axiom's once I move in to get everything in perfect shape. Good Luck...

#86007 03/19/05 12:46 PM
In reply to:

I'm probably going to get more smart *!* comments from relatives thinking I wasted my money but you only live once.

Jeeesh, I get that now with my DLP.

My side of the family thinks a 27" is big... even in a living room that puts it 14' away from the couch....yet they have 9 TVs in my parents house and seven in my sisters! They're just all crappy! My father thinks that when you buy a TV or a piece of electronics that emits audio of any kind, that you should just buy the cheapest you can find.... they're all the same. I'm not kidding here... he wants a home theater setup and has been looking at HTIB systems for under $80.00! He says "I don't need all that fancy stuff, I can't hear above 15Khz anyway!". I can't convince him that he's only missing out on 1/2 an octave and that you simply can't produce five speakers, a sub, and a receiver for $79 and have it be ANYthing but the biggest piece of crap....!

Joyce's parents have a 23" (yes, 23"...how long has it been since you could even buy a 23" CRT?) console TV where everything's been green for a few years. I'm not talking subtle, like "let me tweak that a touch for you"; I'm talking skin tones the palor of the Jolly Green Giant. They only have two TVs though. That one is in their family room; the living room TV (a 19" on a fiberboard...almost cardboard stand) only gets turned on for special occasions.

Funny thing is, all these people have much, much, much more descretionary income than I do. Nice houses, no mortgages, higher incomes, Life Is Good. They just coincidentally think that their TVs are good enough.

Any of them come here....

It's like I set up a $50,000 dedicated theater where the side lanterns burn $100 bills for ambience and that humongous 46" DLP screen is made from diamond dust to allow that hi-def imagery to shine through. You'd think I have orphan children in the basement feeding a coal furnace to produce the electricity.... which doesn't even run on coal but puppies.

Oh crap. This is gonna count as a hijack, won't it?

#86008 03/19/05 01:18 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
The comment regarding the Jolly Green Giant color scheme had me rolling on the floor laughing, my dad has one TV in his house a 25" Console (when was the last time you saw a console TV). The color is similar to your comment and the volume adjustment is scratchy from a dirty volume potentiometer. My dad has never had a VCR or DVD player or anything but all this techno stuff isn't for him. (Guess that's why he has money and I don't). Once I get the bill's for all the electronics and other stuff I'm getting for our new home I think the family will be eating pasta & rice for a while. Might even have to save up used motor oil and see if my furnace will burn it to save a few bucks. Just paid $2.29 a gallon for oil here in New England Ouch!! Glad I'm not the only one who get's grief over tech equipment, as my wife politely says; "The only difference between men and boys are the price of their toys".

#86009 03/19/05 01:50 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention VCRs!
My family has a ton of them...virtually with every TV. Joyces parents have one... that they have had for about 8-10 years. They have never rented a movie, and they never have recorded anything on it. It sits on top of the TV, clock flashing 12:00, under a clear acrylic dust cover that makes it look like a museum piece.

It only gets used if someone brings over a tape of "the kids" or omething. Then the acrylic cover is majestically removed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020