Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ground Loop Finally gone!
#86054 03/19/05 03:58 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well, it took a while but I think my ground loop hum is finally gone. Funny thing, though. Everything I tried seemed to work for a while but then it would creep back. I tried to kill it at the cable tv by using Jensen's VRD-1FF. This seemed to work for a couple of days but then I noticed the hum again, albeit much lower than previously. Next I added a cheater plug. This worked great but it had me nervous as I have three young girls and didn't want them to have unaturally spiked hair. I went back to Jensen and purchased their SUB-1RR. It arrived yesterday and I installed it last night. Didn't take care of the hum. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to remove the VRD-1FF from the cable line and remove the cheater plug. Whammo! Humm gone.

The only thing I had to do next was recalibrate the sub. Now I have great sound, no hum, and no thumping during input switching.

These things sure let you know how anal you really are. At last. Now I can sleep...

Axiom stuff, Denon stuff, & Sony stuff
Re: Ground Loop Finally gone!
#86055 03/20/05 10:54 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Hey John:
Thought I would post a quick "congratulations!". My wife says I'm like a "dog with a bone" when I have a problem I can't figure out... I just never let it go. It must be satisfying to finally rid yourself of that headache!

I don't know why this happens to me often, but sometimes I find I can miss new posts if there hasn't been a reply. I literally left this forum to go back to the "Main" page when I said to myself "was there just a post there with 0 replies?

I figured if I mentioned something, you'd get a bump as well!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: Ground Loop Finally gone!
#86056 03/21/05 01:28 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yep. Your right on both points, Mark.

That ground loop was a real bugger to pick. I tried everthing from cutting all circuits to disconnecting then reconnecting all components and speakers but nothing seemed to reveal the source. The isolators are the only thing I could find that would help without the need for the cheater.

I figured that if anyone else was having the same problem, my post would help. Glad to see there were that many hits.

Axiom stuff, Denon stuff, & Sony stuff

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters