Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Audio/Video Cables
#86734 03/24/05 01:55 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Want opinions on Quality Audio/Video Cable(s) that don't break the bank. I purchased Monster cable for my current system 5 years ago mainly because in CT at the time that was about the only premium cables you could buy but the price was insane. Will need to purchase mostly new cables in the near future since existing 5.1 system will be in my recreation room and a new system will be set up in the family room. In most retail stores in CT i.e. Circuit City;Tweeter;Best Buy, most cables are still the "Monster" brand with a sprinkling of more affordable Acoustic Research cables. Any recommendations? Any good internet sites to buy cables with quick delivery time at a (I don't need a home equity loan) price?

Re: Audio/Video Cables
#86735 03/24/05 02:00 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Blue Jeans seems to be pretty popular around here.

Axiom also just got into the cable business recently... I know a number of people have been getting speaker wire from them, don't know about the other cables.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#86736 03/24/05 02:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
To put it all in perspective, there was a post going around reciently which may or may not have been legit, but was presented as though it were, whereas a guy spliced some RCA connectors onto some rusty barbed wire and ran some fairly sophisticated tests on them.

they passed... as did some similar coathanger cables of the same ilk.(My assesment of said posts may not be totally accurate, but that's sorta what it was all about)

I've had good luck-I guess, how can I tell?-But, I've been using Rat Shack and the before referenced AR cables with gold plated connectors cause they look cool and help with corossion.

The electrons seem to be doing their reciprocating dances just fine however, on the relative cheap.

#86737 03/24/05 02:46 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Amen to that. I still have doubts about the coat hanger / barbed wire test but I'm definitely in the "show me" camp regarding premium cables.

I used to get everything from Radio Shack but their prices have gone up a lot recently and I don't feel like paying even semi-premium prices for "the cheapest thing China has to offer" cables. I'm getting tired of wiggling the cable to keep the sound playing

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
#86738 03/24/05 03:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'll second everyone else's idea that well built, low cost inter connects work just as well as well built, high cost inter connects. If it looks like the connectors are solid, then there's not problem. I use component cables from Radio Shack and that was only $30. I bought a Phoenix Gold fiber optic for 25$ and it works as well my friends' who paid $60.

#86739 03/24/05 03:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I use Dayton cables from PartsExpress.com. Good quality, reasonable price. But BlueJeansCable.com is well respected.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#86740 03/24/05 04:03 AM
shareholder in the making
Vette, connecting cables are a technologically trivial matter and adequate "quality" is available at quite low cost. "Premium" cables are premium pretty much in price alone. The Dayton cables Jack linked are about at the top end of a reasonable price range.

For your amusement you might like to read of the cable exploits of Mick Loney and Al Magnani which were referred to in previous replies.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#86741 03/24/05 04:29 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Amen to all of this on the cables. All mine are just solidly built off the shelf cables from the local pro audio store (not "prosumer" - pro, ie: there are bins of XLR parts and a grab bag of random RF antennas hanging around), 3' analog w/RCAs, about $8CDN, that sort of thing...

In fact, I got so pee'd off trying to find a non-Monster "subwoofer" cable (75ohm terminated in RCAs) that I finally just used RG59 and some BNC-RCA adaptors. Thing won't lay flat on the floor, but it'll learn... *pats the iron*

Bren R.

#86742 03/24/05 12:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I guess it's confession time for me now-what with all these Amens' goin' round and all.

The Rat Shack cables I purchased were back a number of years ago so may not be of the current quality. Some of the ARs are new, but...

My new set-up pushes the rear of the components out into the room a bit and in view of God and everybody. So while it's great to have easy access to all the cabling; the Looks of the mish-mash of various cables and connectors, while they seem to work OK, ain't the prettiest of sights.

So I'm almost to the point of having to consider some reasonably priced "Audio Jewlery" to string from component to component. Something that will work well, not cost a small fortune, and yet Loook Gooood!

Almost like "Upgraditus" innit?

#86743 03/25/05 02:30 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks, Ajax for the links, I will definately take a close look at them. Thanks to everyone else as well, I feel I really got ripped off when I purchased the Monster
Cable(s) a while back, not that the quality is bad but the price is excessive. I noticed many of you have commented on speaker wires at previous postings and I couldn't agree more that any 12-14 Awg copper wire is more than adequate for that application. Just to add my 2 cents worth regarding companies saying how great soldered connections are vs. crimp I totally disagree. Having worked in the Electronics Industry for over 28 years (18 of them in Military or Aerospace companies) in various capacities I can tell you crimp connections are more reliable due to a highly repeatable process (calibrated tooling) vs. a soldering process that has many variable(s) such as pre-cleaning of hardware before and after the solder connection and the expertise of the person soldering (a big variable). If the right person does it "Great" but I wouldn't promote it as being the best method. Getting ready to move in a week, really stressed out right now but at least I can order my Axiom's once I get settled in.

#86744 03/25/05 02:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
You're very welcome.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#86745 03/25/05 05:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not to stir the pot here but if Blue Jeans cables work good for everyone, why don't we just tell people to get Canare cables? There are a ton of guys on E-Bay selling the exact same thing as Blue Jeans and selling them cheaper.

There is very little skill involved in stripping a wire and crimping on a connector via the Canare system.

#86746 03/25/05 05:56 AM
Because we'd still rather have someone else do it for us? Plus, god knows, we've all had eBay problems...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#86747 03/25/05 06:02 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

#86748 03/25/05 06:20 AM
I didn't know you could get canned air shipped. Or maybe it was that you're just not allowed to bring it on airplanes.

#86749 03/25/05 06:28 AM
And that'll be all for Peter tonight, folks. Let's give him a big round of applause!

Off to bed, Peter...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#86750 03/25/05 09:45 AM
old hand
old hand
yeah, and another thing i love is all this gold plated stuff

most components have tin interconnects (at least the ones i've owned) and in theory gold on tin is a bad mix

the component makers use tin to keep costs down and the cable guys use gold to jack the prices up...or is it because gold is a superior conductor...just listen to the difference!

my 3805 has tin binding posts, so i tried finding the old fashioned banana plugs at a radio shack the other day and had to go through the process of elimination with the (nice) kid working there
finally, i said, "maybe they're by the multi-meters"...they were. only problem...the posts aren't spaced the same...doh!
it's back to the shack for the gold ones...or i could just break the bananas in half

If I were truly plastered, could I do this?
#86751 03/25/05 12:23 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
After some input from members of this forum, I went this route to terminate the bulk RG-6 cable already installed in-wall:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=360-046

www.audioholics.com has a number of great articles and discussion about the facts and myths of cabling and termination.

I went the compression route (v. solder) because I know I can crush things, less sure about my ability to melt metal on things. I'll be putting on RCA terminations for my suboofer cable, and RCA and BNC terminations for my component video cables.

Anywho, two cents from a newbie to this whole world of HT stuff.

#86752 03/25/05 01:24 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Your theory on gold/Tin not geting along well is "Fact". Most high end electronics require "Gold Plated" connections due to it's improved electrical properties and resistance to oxide build up from the great polluted atmosphere we live in. When soldering to a gold contact you should apply and remove solder "Twice" before making the actual solder connection with your wire or you will have what is called an intermettalic joint which can be very brittle and fail when you least expect. Viewed the Bluejeans web site thought the prices were still too high, going to look at the Acoustic Research cables a bit more or make my own.

#86753 03/25/05 02:16 PM
old hand
old hand
I knew from being somewhat involved in the interconnect business world that gold to tin was not a reliable connection.

You were addressing soldering to gold contacts, do you know how long it takes for gold to tin connections (not soldered, but cable to component) to de-grade?

The Denon 3805 does not have gold interconnects, but the Denon 5900 does.
I guess a $1200 piece of gear (3805) doesn't qualify for high end. And at $2000 the 5900 (now discontinued) does. So in this case, one end needs to be gold and the other end needs to tin.

#86754 03/25/05 10:00 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Do you know how long it takes for gold to tin connections (not soldered, but cable to component) to de-grade?

Unfortunately there is no clear cut answer to this question as there are a few variable's, the most important being Temperature/Humidity. An outdoor connection will oxidize much quicker that a relatively Temp/Humidity controlled room in your home. The good news is in an indoor environment it will take years to have any signs of a problem. Cleaning connections occasionally with Isopropyl Alcohol is a good thing to do. Even if you have any contamination it usually will be on the Outside Diameter of an RCA type plug and can be cleaned with a very fine scotchbrite pad and you will be all set. If I haven't put you to sleep yet I end the conversation by saying "Don't be overly concerned, you will probably never have a problem." getting off track a bit do you have a 3805 receiver now? I was recently contemplating the 2805 or 3805 and was leaning towards the 2805. Any opinion to offer?

#86755 03/26/05 04:32 AM
devotee
devotee
"I went the compression route (v. solder) because I know I can crush things, less sure about my ability to melt metal on things."
That is great.
I'm glad I'm not the only one around here who thinks that way.

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#86756 03/26/05 09:31 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I thought I would give you some additional info since my last response. Most RCA Connections are either Gold Plated or Silver Plated (Not Tin), therefore the Denon probably has silver plated connections, note that similarly priced Yamaha's are the same way. Many people insist that the silver is actually better than the Gold and will improve sound quality. Well if you can hear any difference you will have a thousand scientists wanting to study you. The Silver will tarnish (oxidize)and require occasional cleaning if you want to be , shall we say carried away with cleanliness. There are obvious issues with Tin & gold as I previously stated (when soldering) but a mechanical connection between gold cable connectors and silver plated RCA Jacks should not be a problem, one is just a slightly better conductor than the other. A Materials Engineer may be able to come up with some reasoning that mechanically connecting the two dissimilar metal are a problem but I know with many military connectors silver coated copper braid is terminated to gold plated connector components. I don't think there is any problem at all, use gold if you want to.

#86757 03/27/05 10:06 AM
old hand
old hand
o.k. i've decided that if i start to hear any sound degradation...i'll just turn the volume up

i do wish the 3805 had gold jacks, if not for the prettiness, then for the warm fuzzy feeling that they didn't cut corners to save the few cents extra per jack.

as far as 3805 vs. 2805:

i wanted the denon link, as i was getting the 5900. although, i still had to use audio cables for sacd because denon didn't get approval to use d-link for sacd until fairly recently. but, i haven't even bothered to get the update.

as you probably know, the 3805 has a little more power, which if i'm honest with myself, probably influenced me a bit.

the Audioholics review of the 3805 didn't hurt my decision, either.

i am surprised i haven't thrown the remote at the wall. it stays illuminated just long enough for me to find the function i'm looking for and goes black before my finger reaches the pad. and it eats batteries pretty good.

i assume you've checked the denon site for the spec and component differences between the two. if not, that's always a good way to strain your eyes.

i got 25% off at an authorized brick and mortar store through a friends and family discount. i found that to be a pretty good price. plus, the store is two minutes from where i work. for me price was not that big of a factor, other than i knew i could not afford the 5803.

the store i bought from had a 100% upgrade policy. maybe you should look for a store that does that and get the 2805. if it works for you, don't look back. i don't think you could go too far wrong with either one of them.

oops, i almost forgot...i bought the auto-setup mic...it's still sitting in the box. i find that i play with all the levels, all the time, depending on what i'm listening to.

#86758 03/27/05 03:11 PM
old hand
old hand
i'm replying to myself, i guess...i went to find info on the sacd update and apparently it is a ways off.

as a matter of fact, i did a google search and one link brought me to the axiom forums...you guys were talking about this when i was out of town a couple of weeks ago

i don't know if anyone is going to see this, but if there's any new info, please let me know.

my concern is with getting an update to the 5900.

thanks.

#86759 03/29/05 06:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

i am surprised i haven't thrown the remote at the wall. it stays illuminated just long enough for me to find the function i'm looking for and goes black before my finger reaches the pad. and it eats batteries pretty good.

there's a section in the 3805 manual that shows you how to change the illumination times for the remote. and its some secret-squirrel combination of buttons too, definitely NOT something you'd find in a menu. believe me i've felt your pain too. but i cant say that i've had an issue with batteries, i dont think ive had to change mine since i got it in december.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
#86760 03/30/05 07:05 AM
veteran
veteran
vettenut01,

I was just recently considering the 2805 vs 3805 and after speaking with owners of both systems, I went with the 2805. Bray and MarkSJohson were of great help. One of the mentioned that the extra 20 watts per channel only equates to 1db! Yes, I realize decibels are on a logarithmic (sp?) scale but still 1db isnt much in my book.

Also, it kinda peeved me that denon includes the $60 mic with the 2805 and not the 3805. WTF, shouldn't it be the other way around? So basically it all boils down to features and from doing a direct comparison, they are VERY close in the feature set. Denon's site has some a pdf showing every feature on all their receivers. IMO, the only major differences are 20WPC, better remote, 3rd zone, and denon link.

If you're bent on getting the 3805 then by all means get it. If you're looking for the best value then go for the 2805. Also the 2805 is identical to the 985 so start looking around for that model instead (its $50-100 cheaper) since Denon probably didn't wanna piss off their auth dealers.

Best bang for the buck: 2805/985
Upgraditis: 3805 (not that there's anything wrong with it)

#86761 03/30/05 06:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The 3805 seems to have all kinds of nice additions (a truly neat looking remote, for example), just seems like most of them won't affect the sound. Someone posted recently that only the 3805 has DenonLink -- that would be the only thing I would think about as being maybe worth extra $$...

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
#86762 03/31/05 12:08 AM
In reply to:

Someone posted recently that only the 3805 has DenonLink -- that would be the only thing I would think about as being maybe worth extra $$...

I thought so too, until it was confirmed that SACD won't be passing through the DenonLink till late 2006!!!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#86763 03/31/05 01:58 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Geez, it'll be obsolete by then. Get a 2805 !

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
#86764 04/07/05 08:03 PM
aficionado
aficionado
My speaker cable in shot-gun bi-wire from SignalCable. You can preview it at http://signalcable.com/images/ShotGunBiwire-New.jpg

Excellent!!! I could immediatelly tell the difference from Monster Origina Speaker Cable I was using before. Not sure if the difference in quality is from upgrading to a better cable in genereal or from Bi-wiring.

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters