Print Thread
Rate Thread
Warranties and Authorized Dealers
#87031 03/25/05 12:33 PM
Samson Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Looking at purchasing either a Denon (AVR985 or 885) or a Harmon Kardon (AVR635) receiver and noticed a $200 price difference between authorized and unauthorized dealers. I understand that the companies state they may not honor the warranties from unauthorized dealers, but third party warranties (Philips warranties from etronics for example)can be purchased for around $50.

Does anyone have experience with warranty issues to comment on the value of these third party warranties? If the unauthorized vendor is a well respected company with a good track record of support, offer the product at a significantly lower price, and these "after-market" warranties are not a sham, what is the argument to purchase through an authorized dealer?

Last edited by Samson; 03/25/05 12:33 PM.
Re: Warranties and Authorized Dealers
#87032 03/25/05 07:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Personally, I prefer to go w/ authorized sources. I bought a my plasma, HD Tivo, and Pioneer Elite 45TX all from authorized sources. W/ the exception of Tivo (Magnolia), they were online purchases. I bought an extended warranty on my HD Tivo because Magnolia is local and I can have them deal w/ exchanges. I also have a local Panasonic service center for my plasma and I've already had a warranty replacement that wasn't too bad of an experience.

3rd party warranties can be a hassle when having to deal w/ fine print. Case in point, I have an extended warranty on my BMW 528 wagon. Twice I've had it in for repairs that normally would've been under a standard warranty, but the warranty house uses loopholes in order to cover only 25% of what they should. I would've been better off saving the money on the warranty.

Who knows, you might not ever have to use the warranty, but if you do, be aware of the problems that might occur and whether you're willing to deal w/ them.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044