Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Re: Suggestions & Ideas for 2.1 w/80s...
#87235 03/27/05 01:08 AM
veteran
veteran
This topic reminds me of a question I've had, maybe someone here knows the answer.

Since volume on my hk3480 is reported in dB's and not the usual 1-10 that I'm familiar with, I have no way of knowing what percentage of the power I'm using at a given listening level. I normally listen to music in the -35dB to -15dB range, but I've gone all the way up to 0db or maybe a bit higher. So my question would be does it cap out at 10db? or 50db? Either way, I'm satisfied that my system will play louder than I ever want it to, I'm just curious. If it turns out that I'm using 75% of my receivers amp, then it's a good thing I didn't get the 80watt model (instead of 120) because then I probably would not have been happy. If I'm only using 20% then the 80watt version would have been plenty.

Sorry for the ramble and the fact that it's off topic, but I figure BrotherBob would probably like to know how many watts are "more" than enough.

Last edited by Wegiz; 03/27/05 01:09 AM.

M60's
VP150
QS8's
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC
#87236 03/27/05 01:09 AM
RickF Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Rick, I absolutely don't listen to the radio whatsoever so that wouldn't be an issue. What amp preamp would you suggest? I've always been one of those guys who doesn't get it mentally untill I have it and play around with it for a period of time. The benefit of the amp-preamp route is because of the power output?

Rick
Our Room

smile
#87237 03/27/05 01:18 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

The benifit of the seperate amp is the power supply.Usually a seperate amp will have a more robust power supply than a reciever will.This means when you get the urge to really get to cranking up you music you will not run the risk of clipping the amp ie running out of power.As far as connecting the preamp and amp all you do is connect the pre to the amp using a pair of interconnects.The H/K is a pretty sweet unit if you are looking to keep the costs down.There is certainly nothing wrong with it.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#87238 03/27/05 01:24 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Frank,

I really have no idea to your question.I have a Rotel preamp with the old fashion volume control.A freind of mine does have the 3480 and runs it at -15 quite a bit and has never had a problem with it over heating or distorting.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#87239 03/27/05 01:26 AM
RickF Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
In reply to:

The H/K is a pretty sweet unit if you are looking to keep the costs down.There is certainly nothing wrong with it.

It's great to get different ideas, sure helps.

What would the cost of an amp/preamp be then? Around.

Rick
Our Room

smile
#87240 03/27/05 01:31 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I have not shopped around for one in a while.My Rotel units were around $1600 for the pair.The H/K is by far a less expensive unit,not saying it is not a good unit it is.

Rick

#87241 03/27/05 01:45 AM
RickF Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks Rick, I guess I'll take the info from you all and start looking around. I just don't want to get into the situation where at some point in time I'll tell myself '...should've got the other stuff.' Thanks for the help, I'm betting your system sounds absolutely awesome.

Rick
Our Room

smile
#87242 03/27/05 01:48 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Thank you Rick.I will say this,I have had it together for around 18 months or so with not wanting to upgrade a thing.I am quite satisfied with it.

Rick

#87243 03/27/05 02:15 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
In reply to:

Adding a sub to that reciever will not take a load off the reciever as the receiver has no crossover unit to it so it will still send a full range signal to the speakers.

To make it clear I was referring to when you use the line level sub out on the receiver.

Rick

#87244 03/27/05 02:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>And, for a really stupid question...what and how exactly does a pre/amp system do and how are they connected?

First off, there is not much inherent advantage to separate pre-amp / power amp systems other than modularity (you can, for example, upgrade the power amp and sell the old one) and probably a tiny advantage from having separate power supplies and isolated cabinets.

The main "advantage" (as others have mentioned) is that it becomes impractical to fit a big honkin' power amp into the same cabinet and same power supply as the rest of the pieces -- pre-amp, tuner, surround processor etc...

The pre-amp is responsible for taking input from a variety of sources, adjusting the volume to whatever loudness you want, applying processing like tone controls, then outputting a signal at a standard level to the next stage (power amp).

The power amp is responsible for going from a standard line level input to whatever power level you need to drive your speakers. It does all the heavy lifting and usually has very few controls other than maybe a second level control.

As long as you don't need insane power it is more cost effective to put everything in one box and call it a receiver. You can share power supplies, power cords, cabinets, switches, fans, all that junk.

The only downside to buying a nice receiver then adding a power amp later is that you can't sell the power amp in the receiver to defray the costs of the new amp. This is not a big deal now that stereo receivers are relatively inexpensive.

My thinking would be to go with a 3480 as a start (or any good integrated amp) and add a power amp later if you feel the need. I wouldn't go with any less power than a 3480, though... if you want a "fine stereo system in a large room" then lots of clean power is always a good thing to have. There is nothing magical about the 3480 other than it has decent power, a very solid high current power amp, looks nice, and is reasonably priced.

You don't need no steenking sub IMO.

EDIT -- two other points :

1. One reason people buy separate components is that the very best "cost no object" electronics tend to be built as separate components because the primary reason for integration is saving cost... which is not a factor there.

2. Remember that with most receivers the connection between pre-amp and power amp is actually brought out to jacks on the back of the receiver. If you look at most high end stereo receivers you will see a pair of jumpers connecting the two pre-amp out RCAs to the two power-amp in RCAs. Just disconnect the jumpers and you can insert any kind of signal processing between the pre and power amps (eg. an electronic crossover for a sub). You can also disconnect the jumpers and cable from the pre-amp outs to a separate power amp if you want. You would not use the speaker outputs on the receiver in that case because the signal would be going to the external power amp not the built in power amp.

Last edited by bridgman; 03/27/05 02:36 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616