Print Thread
Rate Thread
Nevo vs Universal Remotes
#87399 03/27/05 10:27 PM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Was curious if anyone here has any experience with Nevo (software that runs on PDA's like the new HP iPAQ rx3100 Series).

I was thinkin about getting a Logitech universal remote, or something similar (MX700). But I run a MCE HTPC (Media Center Edition 2005) as the primary means of watching TV and playing music. I wanted a way to mainly control music without always having to turn the TV on. Right now I use VNC and do it from my computer, but this Nevo (and a couple others) software sounds really interesting since it can do that as well as control virtually any IR capable device.

And on top of that, I believe I would get the benefits of PDA, like portable mp3 player, email, internet etc.

So being that I value the knowledge and opinions of ppl here I figured I'd ask if anyone has any experience or comments of such a device.

Re: Nevo vs Universal Remotes
#87400 03/28/05 04:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Do you mean Novii?

I tried it (Palm version) but you run into a major problem w/ IR on PDA's. It was never meant for long distance. So if you want it useable, you need an IR extender. At that point, you might as well just get a dedicated universal.

#87401 03/28/05 05:01 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Nope, Nevo comes in the new 3100 series iPAQs from HP. But your point about the IR distance could be valid on them as well. However the Nevo site really pimps its ability to control everything.

#87402 03/28/05 05:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Funny, Novii and Nevo. Crab, krab...

#87403 03/28/05 01:41 PM
shareholder in the making
I have NEVO on my PDA and use it occasionally, but I don't think it's a substitute for my MX700. It would be nice if it was; between my living room HT, my reception room setup, my editing/duplication equipment in my office and various TVs throughout the house, it would be damn convenient to have the PDA that's often in my breast pocket to serve as a remote everywhere I go as well.

Maybe because all the rooms I would use it in are relatively small, but I haven't really had problems with "range". It's not a "blaster" either, though... you definitely have to point it right at the equipment.

My biggest concern with it is that there are just pages and pages of commands for simple devices, and some of the most common uses are NOT on the "first page". There are TVs I have programmed in that require me to go to page three to change volume... just stupid! Just the other day, after reading somewhere in these threads that someone purchased an additional little cheap universal remote to use on "their" side of the bed, I thought I should program my PDA with the Panny TV/VCR combo we have in the bedroom. I found the model and thought it would be great. It reminded me of how it misses the most basic stuff... There was no volume control ( I checked and checked because I couldn't believe it!!) and the power on/off was on page three of three (all the VCRs transport controls were on page 1 and menu items were on page 2). Who would ever lay this out and not think that power should be on the first page of the device??

Now, in all fairness, my PDA is about a year old; maybe I'm running an earlier version of the software and they've worked a lot of this stuff out... I dunno.

Like I said, it's a shame. There's too many menu pages for everything to ever make me want to use it as THE universal remote in my system, but if they would just improve the basic ergonomics, it's a promising technology. With my version, it's just not there yet.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#87404 03/30/05 05:49 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Do you mind if I ask what PDA you have it on? From what I can tell, you don't actually buy Nevo, it just comes with certain PDA's, correct?

Looks like the new HP's come with Nevo ver2.

And when you say the volume is on page X... do you mean when you are looking for the code or after its actually programed? You'd have to find a button on a separate page to adjust the volume?

I'd prolly settle for a MX700 or equiv, but I want a portable mp3 player.... can't have both ($).

#87405 03/30/05 11:59 PM
Hmmmm, there's no model # on it, and since I bought it about a year ago, I don't remember! It IS an HP, though...

Yes, when you go to change the volume on my TV, for instance, I have to go past page 1 and page 2 to reach page 3 of the TV's controls to get to volume.

With the disclaimer that this is likely V1.0 of the software, I still stand by my original statement: This has a lot of potential, but, on my PDA, with my version of software, it's too much of a PIA to take seriously! A shame, because the technology has soooo much potential!

Comparing my MX700 to it is like comparing a Ferrari to a moped!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#87406 03/31/05 02:52 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
hmmm, well that is some good info thou, I really want to thank ya for sharing.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044