Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
HT Construction Progress
#87407 03/28/05 03:41 AM
chs4 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
In an earlier thread there seemed to be some interest in my HT progress, so since I finally got around to taking some new pictures I thought I'd start a thread for anyone interested.

Soffits are done with the exception of the lip for the light tray. I'm leaving this off for now as I'm going to paint the ceiling and the face of the soffits the same color and it will be much easier without the lip in place.

Started furring out the walls for the acoustical treatments and fabric this weekend and got a pretty good chunk complete.

Once the furring is complete I'll build the columns and paint the ceiling, then I think I'll be ready for carpet, which I haven't even picked out yet! Can you believe I'm this far along and haven't finalized the carpet or fabric yet? Picking a color scheme is turning out to be the toughest part of the whole build. At least I know the ceiling, screenwall and proscenium walls will be black so I can get started with that while I debate the rest.

As always follow the link in my sig below for pics.

**One other thing. I had built a temporary 110" diagonal 1.78 BOC screen during construction to help with the layout. Now that the screenwall is done I decided to put it back up to get an idea how it would look. I also recently took delivery of my projector (AE700) so I threw up a quick image (using my 4-yr-old laptop as the source through VGA...no tweaks) to get the whole picture. (pun intended ) Anyway, from my first-row seating position (13') 110" just didn't seem large enough, and now I'm more certain than ever that I'll be going with 120". There's a picture of the mounted screen in the "Proscenium" album on my site.

Chip Slattery Fox Path Theater
Re: HT Construction Progress
#87408 03/28/05 03:52 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Chip, that is going to be one BEEYOUTEEFULL theater. I can't speak for others, but having a specific room, separate from, but attached to, the house, is just flat out the best. I hope it provides you with many years of enjoyment.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#87409 03/28/05 04:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>I can't speak for others, but having a specific room, separate from, but attached to, the house, is just flat out the best

Amen to that. I was over at my brother and sister-in-law's place for dinner tonight -- they're the ones with my PSB sub. There was some discussion about setting up the home theater somewhere outside the house, along with a few gentle suggestions from my sister-in-law that I could take my sub back any time and *now* would be a very good time. I begged out, claiming there was not enough room in the Jeep to carry the sub back.

My brother-in-law, on the other hand, thinks the rec room (right under the master bedroom) is a mighty fine place for a home theater and is starting to ask about 7.1

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#87410 03/30/05 02:45 AM
chs4 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks Jack!

I think it's going to be great too, if I can just get it finished. After two years I can finely see the light at the end of the tunnel...

#87411 03/30/05 03:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Looks like it is going to be well worth the wait.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
HT Construction Progress - Update
#87412 04/03/05 04:19 AM
chs4 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Just a quick progress report...

Painted my ceiling today (Benjamin Moore Twilight Zone Black) as well as the face of my soffits, and while I was at it I threw a coat on my furring strips as well to hopefully prevent them from showing behind the fabric.

I must have put the paint on a little too thick though because my ceiling seems six inches lower! And dark? I have a 500w work light that lights up the room like a 60w table lamp now. I'm amazed what a drastic difference just painting the ceiling made.

I also temporarily ceiling mounted the projector to make sure I had worked out all the angles. Even straight out of the box I was pretty pleased with the picture. (of course being a projector newbie and having an untrained eye certainly factors into my assessment) Of course I had to take a couple of obligatory screenshots so I put up a new album on my site for those. The image on the screen is actually better than the amateur photos would lead you to believe.

Now that the paint is done I can put the light tray lip on my soffits and get started on the columns. Carpet and fabric to follow.

Until next time...

Re: HT Construction Progress - Update
#87413 04/03/05 05:18 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow... that is looking great. I imagine you're going to have a kid with a flashlight guiding people to their seats anyways (you have everything else just right) so don't worry about the darkness

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Re: HT Construction Progress - Update
#87414 04/03/05 05:50 AM
old hand
old hand
It is looking AWESOME!!!

#87415 04/22/05 12:55 AM
chs4 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
This past week I finished up the furring strips and built my columns.

The columns were built to be removable (if necessary) and are basically just friction-fit with a couple of drywall screws holding them in place for the time being. I'll remove them when I start hanging the wall fabric, wrap them in GOM and then screw back into place. This should give me nice clean seams around the edges of the columns where they meet the wall.

I'm going to get the acoustical treatments done this week and then it's on to carpet, fabric and finish work.

As always updated pics are on my site.

We're getting closer....

#87416 04/22/05 01:21 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Looking good. Quick question, though...

I like the column idea as the finished product will look great, but what about the top and bottom woofers on your QS8's (or QS4's, whatever you have)? Aren't they going to fire directly into the column and get "lost"? Any plans to put in an angled particle board piece to deflect the sound into the room?

I am sure that you have thought this through, but I know that when I built some large projects in the past, it was good to have another 3rd party throw out some thoughts and ideas, so please don't take it as me being critical of your work, I'm not, and it looks awesome!

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020