Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Confession # 5712
#87522 03/30/05 05:50 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

there's a tear in my beer, cause i'm crying for ya dear, you are on my lonely mind!

Don't start THAT, John... I went to a country bar last night to see my fiancee's cousin sing. It takes a good number of beer to make country sound good to my ears. And even then I could only delve as deep as Charlie Daniels, I'd be long dead before I could sing along with Toby Keith or Faith Hill.

Any other kind of bar, where if you don't fit the demographic exactly, you don't really attract any attention - I can walk into a dance bar or what-have-you and not get a sideways glance.

Walking into a country bar in a leather biker jacket with a goatee, chunky silver jewelry and an understated belt buckle (one that you can't carve a turkey on) gets you one of three different looks. The middle-aged crowd looks at you like you're about to steal their wallets, the younger rhinestone-cowboys get this look on their face like they're suddenly embarrassed to be wearing shirts that make them look like fruit stripe gum and 10 gallon hats on 5 gallon heads (I'm sure some of those cowboy hats are sold like novelty giant sunglasses or big foam fingers and aren't actually meant to be worn as cowboy attire)...and most of the young women - well, they like the change of scenery.

Now I'm sure it's different in Texas, but on the Canadian prairies, where at 2am, everyone gets into their Windstar or Chevy Optra at the end of the night, it's a bit different.

Bren R.

#87523 03/30/05 07:26 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Now I'm sure it's different in Texas

yes and no.. let me elaborate.

first off, you can walk into any country bar around here, and no one is really gonna care what you are wearing. and, contrary to popular belief, you wont find any horses tied up in the front or any out-houses in the back. a pick-up is the prefered mode of transportation around here. and while you may see a few "10 gallon hats", they are not the norm. and the guys you do see with them on, are probably real farmers, or ranchers, or cowboys, and a large brimmed hat serves a functional purpose for them in their daily activities. and no one would assume you were gonna steal their wallet. i know it sounds cliche, but most of us are very trusting people, and will receive strangers with open arms. plus, we have the assurance of knowing if you did try and steal our stuff, that there is 15 of my good friends sitting around me that will stop you. the rhinestone cowboys are a dying/dead breed out here. the real ones know who they are, and the fake ones know who they are, so they all just quit acting like something they aint. you get the occasional frat-boy who tries to fake it, but we still buy him a beer just for giving us a good laugh.

and here in texas, you wont hear toby keith or faith hill. we have our own music called 'Texas Country'. you are more likely to hear singers like pat green, robert earl keen, jack ingram, kelly willis, cory morrow, bleu edmundson, and phil pritchett. and bands like cross canadian ragweed, jason boland and the stragglers, west 84, reckless kelly, and cooder graw. most bars dont play that nashville crap, and we dont miss it.

and the "young women".. i have been ALL over, and there are more beautiful women in Texas than anywhere else i have ever been. you liable to end up with whiplash you hang out in a bar too long around here. and not only good-lookin, but they are fun. most are happier going swimming at the lake, then going to the mall. they would rather go varmint hunting, than sit at home and watch a rerun of friends on the TV. and they dont mind driving you home drunk from the bar on friday, as long as you do the same for them on saturday. its just a different type of woman, but you would have to make it down here to see what i mean.

now, i am telling you what its like in rural texas.. i am sure in dallas or houston, its totally different. but, we have a different pace out here than in the city. i wouldnt want it any other way.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#87524 03/30/05 08:24 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
So, bigjohn, where can a guy find work in San Angelo? How are housing prices? How far is the nearest airport? What's for dinner? Can you and Shannon put us up for a spell until we get our feet under us?

I loved that post. Thanks for sharing yourself with us.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#87525 03/30/05 08:26 PM
local
local
BigJohn, thanks for the great post. I was a farmer on the prairies of western Minnesota before I moved to the Twin Cities and your post reminded me of home. For me home was epitomized on a trip back last fall. I walked into the bar - heard Jack Ingram on the jukebox and ordered up a 50 cent tap beer. The thought of raising my two 11 month old boys in the big city is a little daunting when I think back on growing up on our farm. Anyway, thanks for the post-it was a good one.

M22's, VP150, QS4's, HK 630, HSU VTF3-MKII
#87526 03/30/05 08:26 PM
aficionado
aficionado
You are right about the women John. One of the purdiest girls I ever done seen was from Midland. She had the prettiest green eyes, a model face, and a killer body. Oh yeah and one of the hottest accents I've ever heard too. I've only been to El Paso (which probably isn't even real Texas) when I was like nine, but I need to visit them country girls once I graduate.

#87527 03/30/05 08:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
You've just perfectly described a little dive about 30 miles north of Nashville. About two years ago when I started dating my current girlfriend, she took me to a club in her town called Lucky's. My initial reaction was that I was in the WRONG bar, and I'd do well to leave with my teeth intact. Fast forward two years, and Lucky's is one of my favorite haunts. There's an absolutely killer band that plays every Saturday night, everyone's generally pretty friendly, and the girls are drop-dead gorgeous. There's lots of cowboy hats and Wrangler jeans, but these folks are the real deal and it's a pleasure to hang out there. Even better, no one really cares if a city boy like me drinks a beer with 'em. Hell, I finally got up the nerve to start dancing with everyone else, and I'm having a better time now than I ever did before.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#87528 03/30/05 09:41 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i thought it might sound a little gitchy, but its all true!!
In reply to:

So, bigjohn, where can a guy find work in San Angelo? How are housing prices? How far is the nearest airport? What's for dinner? Can you and Shannon put us up for a spell until we get our feet under us?

yes, there is work, but not great pay.. but, cost of living is super cheap, so it all works out. a new 2000 sq ft house sells for about $80,000. we have an airport in san angelo, but it only flies to dallas and houston, thats it. shannon is making broiled talapia w/avocado and corn on the side for dinner tonight. SURE, come on down. we got plenty of room, and my mom across town(5 minute drive) has a spare room also.

jorge- there is a little cotton gin town about 20 miles out of city limits called eola. we go to a bar there called Wally World(the owners name is wally).. he serves .35 cent draft on wednesdays.. its worth the drive!!

player8- midland is about 2 hours west of here. its an oil town. and yes, purdy girls there too. and if you ask me, i would just assume let new mexico have el paso, and call it a day..

dmn23- luckys sounds pretty much like every bar around here. maybe i need to come hang out with you for a weekend!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#87529 03/30/05 10:05 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

10 gallon hats", they are not the norm. and the guys you do see with them on, are probably real farmers, or ranchers, or cowboys, and a large brimmed hat serves a functional purpose for them in their daily activities.

Strangely, farmers and ranchers here wear one of two hats... the winter toque (that's knit cap or beanie for the Americans) and the cap (young pups pay $50 for leather ones with their favorite toy of choice on them - older guys have a closet full of mesh-back ones they get free when the Round-Up guy comes by with a delivery).

To get this even further off topic. I grew up in the inner city... the place where even squirrels don't come by anymore and the trees are planted equidistantly by the city on the boulevard.

My first farm trip 9 years ago was an eye-opener, I'd never been that close to an animal that wasn't a pet... biggest vehicle I'd ever been in was a 3-ton GMC Topkick.

And now, I can push around anything with wheels there, I milk (at least the evening milkings - 4:30am is bedtime, not wake-up time) and I've welded at least one thing on every piece of equipment there.

They made a convert.
Bren R.

#87530 03/30/05 10:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I would refer you all to John's BIO, in his profile. When I first read it, I was VERY impressed. It is a wise man who knows himself, and has a solid concept of what "enough" is. I doff my cowboy hat to you, John. (And yes, I do really have one. I use to be the soundman for a country rock band. )

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#87531 03/30/05 10:13 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Farms are great for fidgety folk like yourself. Just steer clear of the farmer's daughter and all will be fine. Oh wait, would that be Lisa?

One day, I will have land that warrants a tractor and a barn.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters