Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My Experience and Opinion
#87674 03/29/05 09:13 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Please what I'm about to say about the Axiom speakers and SVS SUB, is of my NON-CALIBRATED, NON-PROFFESIONAL setup and NEWBIE opinion.

Hi Everyone.
The newbie is back. I just want to share some of my opinion and experience with the Axiom speakers. First of all I want to say that I do not have my HT room ready. The fireplace is being built in the HT room and that won't be done for a while (maybe till the end of April). I am setting these speakers up in the 10'x10' guess room for now since I only have 30 days to return them.
I've had the M22's, VP100, 2 QS8 and the SVS SP10 sub for about a week and half. When I first opened the M22's I was kind of disappointed cause of the size. Not the height but the thickness of the speakers. There just to thin. You see I was used to these stocky 8" JBL bookshelf speakers that I had for about 5 years. And of course the JBL's are going to be stockier cause they have an 8" speaker in it and the M22's have 5 1/2" speakers (I think). While I was taking them out, I was inspecting the finish on the M22's. And I have to say that they do look awesome. Nice clean and seamless finish. I was still excited to have the M22's and didn't let the size (thin) of the speakers bring me down. The only speakers that I set up are the M22's, the VP100 and the SVS SP10. Let me tell you about the size of the SVS. It is a monster. I was over whelmed with its size. Is everyone noticing a pattern here? (M22's too thin, SVS to big). I did allot of research on all of these speakers but I did not bother on looking at any of the dimensions of any of the speakers that I ordered. That was foolish of me. But, what I can tell you is that when I seen the size of the SVS sub, I totally forgot about the size of the M22's.
OK, remember that this is only in a 10x10 guess room and no calibration of any kind to neither the speakers nor the receiver. When I turned on the receiver and started listening to the radio, my excitement and expectations of the speakers was no longer there. The M22's were too high for my ears. I literally had too keep the volume down cause it was hurting my ears. Than it hit me. I read somewhere that new speakers need to be broken in. I was also thinking that nothing is calibrated. So what I did was, I left the radio on pretty loud, closed the door and went to work on my kitchen (I am remodeling my kitchen). So after an hour I decided to go down to the guess room and listen to the speakers. Guess what???? "I WAS IN HEAVEN" Oh my god. I could not believe the sound that was coming out of these (thin) speakers. I was amazed. You could here every instrument coming out of the M22's. Now my JBL's never sounded like that. Now I was even more excited than I was before.
Now that I was impressed with the sound from the radio, I wanted to see and listen to a movie. I popped in the movie U-571 in my cheap DVD player. Holly cows, that SVS was doing its job. It had the whole house shaking. And I only had it a 1/4 way up. The M22's was also doing its job as well as the VP100. You could here every detail of the submarine sound and propellers turning and moving through the water. The actor’s voices were coming out directly clean from the VP100. Nothing was missed. The one thing that shocked me as well was that at one point in the movie, the walls were shaking and there were no sound coming out of the speakers and the SVS speaker was barely moving. (Please bear with me. I'm a newbie and I don't know how to explain it too much). I guess that’s what they mean about a sub being able to go very low. Well, after that I forgot about the kitchen and watched Blade 1 and 2, and AVP. I had never watched so many movies in one day back to back. That’s how much I was impressed with these speakers. Remember, I haven't even put up the QS8's yet. I didn't want to run any wires in the guess room. I could just imagine when I have my HT room ready and everything is calibrated. I'm never going to leave that room.
I'm the person that when watching a movie and a window is shattered. I want to hear all of the pieces falling on the ground. I want to hear every little detail of a pin drop. I want to hear every instrument being played. These speakers let me hear that. That is why I’m so happy with them. The SVS SB10 produces clean bass like I never heard before. These speakers will be with me for many years. The one bad thing I can say is that, there is not too much bass coming out of the M22's when the SVS is disconnected. But the SVS makes up for it. And right now I've got use too the size of the M22's. I've been to CC and BB and for me, none of the bookshelf speakers that they have compare to the set of speakers that I have from Axiom. I would recommend these speakers to anyone.
I also want to Thank everyone here for there answers on my questions and specially Bray for introducing me too the Axiom speakers.

"If you buy cheap solution, be prepared to live with its limitations"
Re: My Experience and Opinion
#87675 03/29/05 09:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sounds like the new system is working well for you. Congratulations !!

Remember that Axiom makes bigger speakers if the M22 size starts to bug you again

Seriously, home theater has changed the whole speaker world. Now that a subwoofer is pretty much "must have" the need for main speakers to deliver bass is gone... so you pick speakers more for the room size and how loud you need to play. I continue to be amazed how much sound comes out of my little M2s when I run them with a good sub.

Enjoy !!

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#87676 03/29/05 09:27 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
good to hear.. just wait til you get the surrounds up. you think it sounds great now??? you might as well put in a mini-fridge and a microwave next to your 'sweet spot' cause you aint NEVER gonna want to get up.

i also will agree with you on the 'brightness' or 'detail' of the axioms. i remember thinking my 60's were very high when i hooked them up.. but, i attribute that to the fact i have been listening to bass heavy vegas for the last 13 years. i think its your ears that 'break-in' and not necessarily the speakers. it just takes time to get used to how the music is supposed to sound..

but, which ever way you look at it, the result is the same. you got a kickin new HT system, and much more pleasure to come when the surrounds get up.. enjoy..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#87677 03/29/05 09:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>i think its your ears that 'break-in' and not necessarily the speakers

Although his ears did manage to break in without having to be in the same room as the speakers, same as my experience

I will not turn this into a break-in thread...

Last edited by bridgman; 03/29/05 09:33 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#87678 03/29/05 09:38 PM
R
local
local
R
repeat after bridgeman....

#87679 03/29/05 09:42 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I will not turn this into a break-in thread

great idea!!

cause we all know there is only one correct opinion....

OUR OWN..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#87680 03/29/05 09:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ricwilli
Glad you like them.
Just wait until you get the QS8s up.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#87681 03/29/05 09:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
ricwilli,

You did mean SVS PB10 right?

I am pretty sure there is no such sub as a SB10...

If it was the PB10, then I am impressed at its ability...may have to get one of them to put in the HT that will be for my son and his friends upstairs.

Glad you like your set up...calibrate it and you'll probably like it better....

Live from Austin, Texas.

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#87682 03/29/05 10:06 PM
veteran
veteran
Of course it's not the speakers breaking in...IT'S THE SPEAKER WIRE BEING BROKEN IN!!! HA HA

(just kidding)

Good to hear you are enjoying your new system. Let us know how things change when you get them in their proper room and hook up the QS8's.

#87683 03/30/05 01:02 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Your right WhatFurrer its SVS PB10 NOT SB10. I was at work typing this up and was in rush. I don't know where I got the SB from. (I wouder if SVS would rename there sub too SVS SB10?)
Now about the "breaking in new speaker" part. Is there any truth to that? Or was it that my ears were breaking in? I just know that when I first tried the speakers, I couldn't handle that so call bright sound.

"If you buy cheap solution, be prepared to live with its limitations"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020