Dual speaker sub..
#8825 02/12/03 11:05 PM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
Alan, has Axiom looked into the dual-sub idea? One box, two speakers, both powered.. Such as the Polk PSW 650, and the new SVS PB1-ISD..
I ask, as I have been battling with my theater room for just that, more room.. Floor space is always at a premium..
I have two subs now, and love the effect.. If I could combine them into one, even better..
Any comments on this type of configuration ? Pros Cons ?
Anyone else out here have any experience with this type of sub ?

LFE ! The rest is just details..
Re: Dual speaker sub..
#8826 02/12/03 11:32 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I don't know that dual woofer subs are inherently better than single woofer ones. I've heard incredible (and expensive...) single woofer subs that absolutely astonished me. I've also heard dual woofer models that sounded like crap.

I suppose it depends on the individual components involved. Out of curiosity, are you running some sort of positional setup with your dual subs or do you simply have a Y-splitter sharing the signal?

#8827 02/13/03 12:56 AM
old hand
old hand
How about the best of both worlds. I think sealed subs pound harder, but ported subs are musically better. So make a box with two subs, one ported and the other sealed.

Also, has anyone used some of the DIY subs, and how did they workout.

Thanks,

Rick

#8828 02/13/03 01:09 AM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
Up until now, I have only seen dual speaker subs with a 'one powered, one passive' set up.. So the idea of both being powered intrigued me..
Wes Phillips, (Oh Home Theater . com) same who gave a great review to the Epic Grand Master system, (Audio product of the year 2002) gives good reviews of the Polk PSW650.. Figured this might be an answer to my space problem..
I run two powered 10's, placed on either side of the HDTV, with an M80 sitting on top of each.. Single line level from the reciever LFE out to the back of one, then daisy changed to the 2nd.. I like the increase in height on the eighties, and it is somewhat appealing in appearance, but these low budget KLH's just don't cut it..
The combo unit seems like it might cost a bit less than two single speaker units ? And it would allow me a few more options on furniture/amp rack/etc placements..

#8829 02/13/03 03:23 AM
axiomite
axiomite
MIKEY,
Do you find that the subwoofer vibrations cause any distortions to your rptv?
I've been wondering about some 'flickering to the beat' on my Toshiba screen when i've got my M60s and EP350 turned up.
The flickering is mild and only evident during lower notes but not so distressing for me to take any radical action.
Still, i thought i would enquire to others than are running large (or subs) speakers next to their rptv.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#8830 02/13/03 04:04 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I've got a set of M80's and a 350 next to a 53" Sony rptv with none of the flickering you describe.

#8831 02/13/03 12:40 PM
devotee
devotee
I have some major flicker when I crank my Axiom's up. I guess it's the price I pay when I turn it up really loud. I'm not sure what to think about this. As you've seen in my setup, the M60's are separated by the rptv and the left and right media units of my entertainment center. The flicker goes to the beat...kinda strange to me.

#8832 02/13/03 05:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yes, since i noticed the flicker i'm a little disturbed myself.
Keep the convergence on my tv to a constant is a pain. It seems like every other day i have to fix the convergence again.
More and more i'm thinking about having an ISF guy come out and see if they can't focus the lenses and be sure they are screwed down tight.

#8833 02/13/03 08:42 PM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
Chess, can't say as I have noticed any problems with my screen.. No flickering or such.. Now, keeping things on the shelves in the room, that was another whole problem :>
I have them about 18 inches from either side of the Mits.. I was spooked a while back with the 'non shielded' subwooofer messages.. There didn't seem to be any problem at the time, but I figured better safe than sorry..
I see your EP350 is right smack up against the side of your big "T".. No worries on the possible degauss effect ?

#8834 02/13/03 11:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've actually moved the sub since that picture was taken, by swapping the audio equip locale with the sub (again both in that photo).
I really need to update my photos. Maybe this weekend.
The original sub location was at least the width of the M60 away from the tv, as well as the width inside the tv given the fact the lens is not housed right against the inside lining.
This equates to about 12 to 14 inches at least (30-35 cm) or more.
I never noticed any artifacts on the tv with the 'close' location.
This is not surprising considering my past experience with magnets far more powerful than the one in the ep350. At the distance i mentioned, with the M60 sitting b/w the tv and with the tv also having its own internal metallic shield around the lens, i highly doubt the ep350 magnetic field extends that far or powerful enough to affect the picture.

I've only noticed the bass flickering recently since the sub was moved more towards the corner, however the issue may not be the corner location itself. I simply never looked closely enough at the tv flicker with sub in its original location so the flicker may be happening regardless.

I need to do a little more testing to see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020