Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: OT: Spiffnme Tennis & San Diego
#89679 04/09/05 03:40 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Good for you, Craig! I hope you will enjoy the preparation as well as the event. Sounds like they are lucky to have your help organizing. I wish I could be there to cheer you on!

Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#89680 04/09/05 04:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Bren that's funny, but i do understand spiff's point.
But is football really the most macho sport out there or is it just more of a US thing? B/c in Canada, who the heck watches the CFL? (at least in comparison to say, hockey).

I suppose with Dennis Rodman having been in pro basketball, that certainly rules out said sport as the most macho. Never really thought he looked all that good in a dress.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#89681 04/09/05 06:05 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Indeed the preparation was as fun as the actual event last year. (Though getting up at 7am every Saturday morning was tough!)

#89682 04/09/05 08:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, it is finally getting warm enough here for some tennis. I am planning on playing for the first time this season tomorrow.

#89683 04/09/05 09:38 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

But is football really the most macho sport out there or is it just more of a US thing?

i would say IT IS the most macho sport out there. and, if you feel that way about the CFL, then there is NO doubt that football is WAY more popular in the states than in canada. at least in texas, people that dont even care for sports, will still follow football, or at least the cowboys. and i dont mean just during the football season. people are going crazy right now cause the draft is coming up in a few weeks. whos going where? which team will make the best deals and get the best players? then you got summer workout sessions, and finally preseason at the end of the summer. it is common for dallas cowboy practices to attract 10K people. just to watch them practice..

so, to answer your question, yes.. i do believe football is more popular down here..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#89684 04/09/05 09:46 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK, BigJohn, then why do they pat each other on the ass? We don't even do that in our gay tennis league.

#89685 04/09/05 09:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

We don't even do that in our gay tennis league.

Well...I haven't watched your league, but I know when I have played with you guys, I've seen some ass patting.

The funniest was the one time you had to tell my partner my orientation.

#89686 04/09/05 10:13 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
ya know....? i dont really have an answer.. personally, i was never a big a$$ patter myself.. i was a lineman, and we mainly just bumped helmets together as sign of praise or excitement. and its not like football players pat each other on the butt when they are off the field.

scenario #1- TWO GUYS IN LOCKER ROOM.."hey, i saw you got a new 4 year, 20 million contract.. congrats".. slaps ass in non-chalant manner.. "what the F*@K was that for?" fight begins...

scenario #2- just scored the winning TD with .10 seconds left in the game. "hey, awesome catch, you just won us the game.. great job!!" ...slaps ass in excited manner.. "thanks!!" goes and gets some gatorade....

if you want me to get all mentally introspective and such, i could say it has something to do with a male bonding experience. the players on the field feel a level of comfort with each other on that field. all of you are there to fight in a battle that each of you commits to giving your all to win and be successful. there is a sense of trust and loyalty in each other, so i think it allows for guards to be let down a little. and so the normal gay-phobic male feelings are supressed and that sense of trust is bolstered among the players, which is turn makes it to where a$$ slapping is acceptable....?

if you want another, more simple reason.. keep in mind, almost your entire body is covered in pads or some sort of protection.. but, oddly enough, your a$$ is probably the most unprotected thing on your body.. so, its just easier to slap a guy on the ass for a job well done.. cause if you slap him on the shoulder, he is liable not to feel it throught all the pads....?

i wish i had a better answer for you craig. while i laugh as i write this, i know it is one of the most mysterious unanswered questions in major sports today. maybe someone should put some real effort into this?

bigjohn

#89687 04/09/05 11:13 PM
aficionado
aficionado
That's as good as an answer as I could give. I wished I lived in Texas for just that very reason of the following of football (especially the local HS teams) but I probably wouldn't be too popular as I HATE the Cowboys. I guess I'd be a Texan's fan.

#89688 04/10/05 12:01 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i have always been a boys fan, but starting to dig the texans also. i am a big supporter of HS ball.. pretty much go to a game every friday night. playoffs are cool cause we have a really big stadium here in san angelo, so alot of the smaller schools from the area come here to play their playoff games. got a chance to see some really great small town teams this past year.

you should try and make it to texas once to experience the HS ball. i think its better in the smaller towns that the big cities. might not be as big a players in the small schools.. but there is just something cool when the ENTIRE town comes out to the stadium on friday to cheer for you.

ok, no thread jacking.. i am in dangerous waters..

BACK TO GAY TENNIS!!!

you know i am messin with ya craig...

bigjohn

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup