Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: BFD & 600s All Set Up
#90619 04/15/05 07:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Well that's mighty nice of you Dennis, er, uh...I mean NEIGHBOR!

If I ever make a trip out your way, you'll definately be getting a visit from me. Providing you do not mind of course. That is one tremendous system you have there Dennis!

Rick
Our Room

smile
#90620 04/15/05 07:10 PM
Tharkun Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
As things were being set up yesterday, Doug mentioned that once things were dialed in, I should not move or change things, so I figured that means I don't have to finish the marble flloors, the fireplace, cabinets, and I would need to have the same body mass well using the system. So told all that were here I would call in advance of playing music or movies so they all could arrive here in time.

#90621 04/15/05 09:44 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Sorry for chiming in late - it's taken me all morning and half the afternoon to catch up missing one day of work (Dennis - you were right, per usual, on that topic).

Yesterday was really a lot of fun and I believe we verified that having multiple enthusiasts together for an exercise like this is much more productive - as well as just a lot of fun being around folks with the same passion and who can speak the same lingo. Almost like a HT barn-raising in a way.

Dennis, thanks for being such a gracious host since we took over your living room for most of the day, and thanks Peter, Adam and Lee for the additional brain power, subjective opinions, and extra fingers to run all the equipment. We had a real assembly line going there for a few hours. I think all in all, we captured five or six calibration runs as we were tweaking Dennis's room - when doing my own by myself I can usually only get in about two in the same amount of time.

I'd also like to note what a great spouse Lee has. Rita sat through this whole ordeal with aplomb, tolerating the room full of male HT geeks only like most patient women can. I told my wife about it and she just smiled and said I'd never get her into one of these sessions without running out of the room screaming after an hour or less.

We were all happy with the result we got after the five hours or so we spent on it. I wanted to keep tweaking a bit more, but the beasts wanted to get to the meat - demoing Dennis's system in its calibrated state. Thanks to all for the kind comments - it is a pretty good looking room now, but we still had some issues at the crossover point from the M80's to the EP600s which can be seen at the tail end of the graph. We played a little bit with phase around that point, and a little bit with the BFD, but at this point most were getting a little glassy-eyed. Gives us something to work on for a future calibration session. Personally I think working on the phase issue would allow us to flatten that part of the curve a little bit, but as everyone commented, the system sounds excellent, and from my perspective, much better than when we started.

From a BFD perspective (I had never even seen one except in pictures before arriving at Dennis's house), it really turned out to be a simple experience after we played with it for one or two interations. I had read many, many horror stories about folks having trouble using the unit, but it always boiled down to them making it more complex than it needed to be, using too many filters, etc. We all kept each other honest in making this simple, and the BFD is a very precise instrument, letting us nip and tuck in a very methodical way. I was personally impressed by how little the filters interacted with each other, which is what leads to nightmares when trying to EQ.

Cheers,

Doug

#90622 04/16/05 02:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Tharkun,

Excellent work by everyone. I'm impressed, and if I can ever get away from this laptop and Axiom demands (ha, ha), I'll take you up on your kind invitation and head out to the West coast to hear your installation.

The pink curve with BFD certainly looks great, and the comments by the experienced listeners present seem to back it up.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#90623 04/18/05 09:02 PM
Tharkun Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Just an update, its been four days of listening to the system after the BFD set up. After four months of working on getting the system together, I'm happy to say its finished, the addition of the second 600 and BFD has provided all of the base I was seeking. The twin 600s was worth the expense and time, there is more than just a subtle increase.

So until someone with a more critical ear than myself can offer an improvemnt in the sound quality, I quit for now, other than Doug still wanting to return and tweak some with the BFD to improve the drop off, I'm going back to other house projects.

I did order a Sony ES DVP-NC555ES for a back up unit, as it seems the Denon 2900 is in need of going in for service, its refusing to read some DVDs, and I don't care to have the system down for weeks. Will use the Sony for every day playing of CDs and will extend playing time since its a five disk unit.

Once again, thanks for all of the help and support over the last several months, it has made this system a top end one, and way more than what I had in the origal thoughts..

#90624 04/20/05 02:56 PM
Tharkun Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Just updated the web page with the only picture taken well doing the BFD set up. From the left its Peter, Doug, and Adam.

#90625 04/20/05 03:23 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Peter, Doug, and Adam

Dumb, Dumber, and.......

well, you get the picture..

thank you very much, i will be here all week!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#90626 04/20/05 09:09 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
You call a shot where it looks like I'm picking my nose coming out well??

#90627 04/20/05 09:45 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I think he meant to type the word "while" not "well".

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#90628 04/21/05 12:35 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I wasn't going to say anything about the picture ...

Good thing you had kids before sitting that close to the two EP600's.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020