Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: CD Players? Do they sound different?
#9125 03/03/03 10:22 PM
local
local
I have no problem with Chess and my feelings aren't hurt. I simply find it unfortunate that friendly folks are being driven away from a formerly friendly forum because you have no interest in being polite.

#9126 03/03/03 10:41 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Then you don't "wholly agree with 2x6spds" as he accused Chess of the same thing.

I'm a bit disappointed that you find me unfriendly. To be sure, I'm direct as it's all just black letters on whit text to me, making human emotion a bit difficult to associate. I'm an engineer and my writing has been tempered with the direct and factual style that such an education requests.

Those to whom I'm closest are of the more aggressive sort. No body gets offended when you call them a jackass as none of us take each other's comments seriously. We're all close friends from very young and we all know the others would do absolutely anything for them. I'm not used to people getting bent out of shape over it and I find it a bit silly. It's just a message board after all.

Regardless, I'll try to be a bit more mindful of your sensitivities as my sole interest here is learning more about A/V and helping those I can.

Of course, this is something that could have been brought up politely over email, folks.

#9127 03/03/03 11:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Semi,

I agree with you that this could have been brought up politely over private email, but since you and others keep responding on the board, I would like to throw my own $.02 here, with due respect...

I am a scientist in my profession, and my writing, too, has been "tempered with the direct and factual style that such an education requests." Nevertheless, I do discern the difference between the statements:

"Your friend is a fool." and "Your friend is entirely incorrect."

I have to say that the latter style is far more objective, factual and technical than the former.

I judge that this difference is quite relevant here, especially under the situation in which, judging from his latest post, jdm80 is clearly aware of the dismally unscientific nature of his friend's opinions, and even trying to defend the friend as a person.

Yes, this is just a message board after all, yet I also realize that all kinds of people with differing cultural and educational background gather here under a common interest. And I, too, wish the board to keep attracting people with as diverse a background as it has been, because that will increase the information content of the board.

My sole interest here, too, is learning more about A/V and helping those I can. Because of that, I would try not to say something I do not have to in order to convey my technical points/questions. Let us try to maximize our chance of learning here...

Cheers!

#9128 03/03/03 11:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

I am a scientist in my profession, and my writing, too, has been "tempered with the direct and factual style that such an education requests." Nevertheless, I do discern the difference between the statements:

"Your friend is a fool." and "Your friend is entirely incorrect."

Agreed. That reference was focused at the problem 2x6 has with both Chess and myself in our direct posting. He's gone off on a similar slant before based solely on his own perception of some negative tone in my posts and I believe Chess's. The tone isn't intended at all.

The "fool comment" was the result of my growing frustration and anger towards a distinct elitism in the A/V world by which people dismiss those that haven't spent a fortune on their hardware. Now certainly, this sort of elitism exists everywhere, but it's especially distasteful to me because so much of it is focused on things that actually don't make a difference at all. An example would be those that spend a fortune on expensive bi-wire setups and then dismiss less expensive solutions, or at times even those that use such solutions as trivial and unworthy of their superior ears.

The individual in question dismissed jdm when in fact it would sound no different if wired the way the individual typically wires his own system. That irritates me.

#9129 03/04/03 05:05 AM
buff
buff
Semi, you're right on the money. It is one thing to be critical of anothers' equipment but to be a conceited condescending jerk about it is another thing. This guy was the kind of guy that keeps people from truly enjoying not only this hobby but many, many others. Besides, it sounds to me like you're being nice to jdm. I would hardly call this guy a "friend." When I read the post about the player connected with a TOSlink cable I alomst laughed my butt off.

Daniel

#9130 03/04/03 05:40 AM
regular
regular
Hi Folks,

Wow, one short story about my audiophile uptight friend and the hackles are up! Sorry to upset everyone - I really did think the story was amusing. It's hard to express that sometimes in writing. That's why I'm an engineer and not a writer. I know the guy sounds like an a#$hole, but he really is mostly a nice person - except when it comes to audio. I'm fairly picky about who I call a friend and while this fellow has a few warts on him, he is a good person. He went through a really painful divorce about 5 years ago and took up "audio appreciation" as he calls it as a compensation. I'd say it is shopping therapy, but who knows. I suspect that inside he is embarrassed by all the money he has spent, but I don't rub his face in it. I'm not offended by the harsh remarks from some of the folks here - I can understand the frustration. Semi you are right in that he does nothing to promote the hobby or encourage others to take it up. Actually I think he is very insecure to a fault in that regard.

Anyway, all of this is way too much bandwidth for one little story. My apologies to the assembled masses for the spent bits....

- Jeff

#9131 03/04/03 05:58 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

That irritates me.

It does me too, indeed!

And unfortunately, fueled by those people, this phenomenon seems pervasive in the higher-quality A/V industry. Triggered by the other recent thread, I visited Aperion's web site out of curiosity. I immediately dismissed the company, however, because they promote and sell Kimb$$ Kab$$ on the web site. Although their web site itself is not particularly pretentious or snobby, I just cannot let myself endorse a company that appears to promote "good quality and performance for low budget," while selling a 10-feet subwoofer interconnect for $130 and 3-feet component video cables for 3x$144. LOL

Cheers!

#9132 03/04/03 06:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Jeff,

Please do not apologize. Your story was very amusing to me at least, and I think nobody here is truly upset. Just that everybody loves this rather expensive hobby in one's own particular way.

Our collective apologies to Axiom for the wasted bandwidth and a hijacked thread... What were we talking about? LOL

Cheers!

#9133 03/04/03 06:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What is Kimber cable?
And can I use it to hang up my Escher poster?
Should I have it hung 4 or 7 feet from the ground with the null pointed at listening level?
Any suggestions by the experts.....

#9134 03/04/03 07:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No-no-no-no-no. BAD misspelling, Saturn!

It is Kable. They achieved a hugely audible improvement by replacing "C" with "K"! Don't you dare forget that...

Cheers!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020