Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Re: Want to Try Super Tube Sound for $20?
#91160 05/09/05 06:29 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

spiffnme's "movie" collection

i dont find that funny at al.... OK, yes i do..

ya know, i bet craig has a bathroom reader chock full of hetero jokes that he is just gonna unleash on us one day. we keep pushing him like this, the guy is liable to crack!!

jeff foxworthy style...
YOU might be a hetero if.......

..you have less than 3 bee-gee's cd's in your collection.
..the word "fabulous" is not in your daily vocabulary.
..the news of a Cher and Prince concert tour doesnt make you pass out with excitement..

did someone say bananas?? its time for lunch..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#91161 05/10/05 07:52 AM
buff
buff
In reply to:

I'm from Durban, South Africa.

Yes, but are you the one who was, the one who is, or the one who will be?

B5 4EVR!!!

BethR - El Dorado Hills, CA
To thine own self be true.
#91162 05/10/05 08:13 AM
buff
buff
In reply to:

I do hope that someone who knows what they're talking about will chime in here

Just from basic electical circuits theory, by adding additional elements to the circuit, you're changing the load... it won't remain 8 ohms. stacked bananas parallel the load, so the load appears lower from the point of view of the driver. Someone mentioned the example of one amp driving two centers... this appears to the the amp as a single equivalent load of half the original impedance (assuming both centers are matched... 2 parallel 8 ohm speakers look like a single 4 ohm speaker).

Additionally, when there's two active drivers on one load (2 amps, one speaker), unless there's a perfect match of voltage between the two drivers, one will source current and the other will sink current. This may not be an issue if the amp was designed to handle it. Was your amp designed to handle it? If you can't absolutely say "yes", I'd go on the side of caution and not drive both of them into one speaker.

OTOH, My M60s have two sets of banana sockets. They're tied together with metal straps. You can use two amps on this speaker by removing the straps and then each amp drives one set of banana sockets. Internally, they're isolated from each other so there's no current flowing between the amps. It's really that each amp drives its own speaker, but these speakers share a cabinet.

Now we leave my area of expertise and get into yours.

What's the advantage of using two amps on a single speaker? Is it just to get a large amplitude (volume)? I'm not sure of my power ratings, but my amp can drive the M60s, QS8's and VP100 well enough to more than fill my room. Why do I need more than that?

By adding more power capabilities, but listening at the same volume, you'd stay away from the maximum power that the amp is capabile of delivering. Is there less distortion when staying away from the maximum power level? I've seen that distortion in old (like 1940s) amps, but I wouldn't think it would be as prevalent in modern amps. Is it?

Enjoy!

BethR - El Dorado Hills, CA
To thine own self be true.
#91163 05/10/05 02:34 PM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I set up one of the T-Amps with the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CDP driving a pair of M22 like Michaura M55s wired through a Velodyne CHT 10 subwoofer. UNBELIEVABLE! This little, plastic 15 wpc amp (with Radio Shack 13.8V/3Amp power converter) filled my large family room (cathedral ceiling) with glorious music.

I can't do an A/B with my 5 wpc tube amp because the tubie needs a bit of tech attention after the move and is out of commission.

This T Amp makes music!!

As to stacking amps, why? If you have efficient speakers (Axioms) you don't really need more than 5 wpc to generate substantial volume levels. If you want head whacking volume levels, go with a more powerful amp. These T Amps are pure to about 10 watts output, get a bit strained above that, but 10 wpc into 93 db efficient speakers is LOUD friends.

If you can find one of these T Amps, grab one, or more. They are a hoot!

Last edited by 2x6spds; 05/10/05 02:37 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#91164 05/11/05 12:25 AM
devotee
devotee
I've had mine for several weeks, and just laugh out loud whenever i turn it on.
This past weekend a buddy who is seriously into the A/V stuff came up for the first time to hear the Axioms and new gear.
He was blown away by the Axioms. It was the first time he had heard them.
Then I set up and turned on the T-Amp with the M2i's.
He was simply staggered. Just kept laughing and laughing.
His wife came into the room, and wanted to know what was going on, and all he could do was point at the T-Amp.
Finally he was able to get out, "It's from Target, and it costs $30!"
I think he is already ordering 5 of them to set up a whole house system for a friend of his wife.
Because of how good this thing is, I am thinking of abandoning the front effects speakers with the Yamaha DSPs and seeing if I can trade my M2i's in on a set of M3i's to set up a bedroom system with the T-Amp.
What a Great, Great Tip this was!
Thanks 2X6!!!

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#91165 05/11/05 01:36 AM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

This T Amp makes music!!

I agree that this is a great little amp, but "make music" is quite an exaggeration. An amp is not a musical instrument, nor should it be. This amp amplifies music cleanly, which is especially impressive considering how inexpensive all its components are.

#91166 05/11/05 02:41 AM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Come on Pmbucko, you're just a little miffed because the $20 T Amp is better than what you're running, right?

PMB's sour note is probably borne of the false belief that all amps sound the same. They don't. The T Amp is really astonishingly good!

#91167 05/11/05 04:59 AM
Check back to the initial review my brother (adamp88) posted. Based on a casual A/B session, we both agreed that my Onkyo sounded more open and natural than the T-amp. If the T-amp cost closer to $100 or $200, I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone, as SS amps can be had at that price which provide more power and authority.

I do not tend to make blanket statements, but here's one I'll cop to: all amps do not sound the same. We all agree that tube amps do not sound like SS amps. Digital amps are another breed of SS amp altogether, so until I see some data and statistics, I am not going to state or implicate that they sound the same as other amps.

What I will say is this. By implying that you can hear the difference between amps of like technology (i.e. SS vs SS), you are saying your ears are far finer and more accurate at picking out audio "signatures" than hundereds of inidividuals of wide and various backgrounds who have participated in blind listening tests performed under controlled (read: variables minimized) listening tests.

Are you really that good, or are you allowing other well-known influences to cloud your judgment?

#91168 05/11/05 05:28 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Come on Pmbucko, you're just a little miffed because the $20 T Amp is better than what you're running, right?

Nah, I gotta agree with Peter on this one. It's another one of those hyperboles that really undermines believability.

Like "the Sony DXC-D50WS is such an incredible camera it makes your subject look like a professional actor even if they rolled out of the elementary Christmas play!"...

Bren R.

#91169 05/11/05 06:03 AM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I didn't know Adam88 was your brother. Did you all run your T Amp off batteries or an AC/DC converter? If you ran it off of 4 AA batteries, I'd guess the Onkyo would sound a bit more natural or open. If you ran the T Amp off a 3+Amp 13.8 volt power supply, I'd be very surprised if the Onk came out on top (assuming you were running some efficient Axiom speakers.)

I've had my share of Onkyo receivers and amplifiers. I had a TSDX (dislex) 797, many M282 2 channel amps, and still have the Big Onk, an M504. The T Amp more than holds its own against all these Onks. Which Onk were you using? Batteries, right?

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters