Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Universal player
#92003 04/23/05 03:10 PM
pizoni Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi everybody!
Yamaha DV-C6770 6disc changer:DVD Audio,SACD,etc, plus NTSC/PAL!-under $300 or...Denon 2900,2910,3910-you know the price...)?
Any help?
Thank you!
Regards,
Octavian

Re: Universal player
#92004 04/23/05 04:35 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I think you'll find that the picture quality of changers isn't what a single disk player is. I have no idea why, other than pure speculation that folks looking for a changer are more interested in CD playback than watching DVDs. So the manufacturers consider this, and don’t put as much R&D into changer PQ.

My integra changer is about at the bottom of the list on the last DVD ranking sheet I saw. I could have bought about any of your listed Denons for what I paid for the integra. My old Toshiba 6200 has better PQ than it does. But it does have amazing CD playback, so I’m not too bummed about the deal.

So I’d suggest that you list your priority – changer or picture quality. Then the experts here can give you input on what they think the pros/cons are.

#92005 04/23/05 05:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
While we're waiting for the experts to formulate their responces, I'll just chime in with a quick comment.

The wife and I are quickly approaching that age in which getting up and changing a disc, either CD or DVD, is gonna be a bit of a hassle. So...

We went out and got us one of those two or three DVD juke boxes currently available. You know what? It ain't bad. A couch potato can really put down roots with one of these things!

We purchased a Sony CX985-the cheaper one in black(cause WAF thought it matched the receiver better)plus for a couple bucks in extended warrenty, it matches the ES 5 year warranty. So that was cool.

Our eyes-three of them for the two of us-are aging at the same rate our feet are, so the picture quality dosen't have to be first rate, However, WOW, it does a great job!!

The hardest part is logging-in all the DVDs! We have nearly the full complement of the 400 disc capacity, and the machine only copies data from about 10% of those discs installed-so we gotta manualy type in the rest!

I don't have a truly premium DVD player to compare it to, but the convenience and picture quality we do have is well within the "More than Acceptable" range.(Some folks may say it's a good match for our M50s: Does everything well but nothing brilliantly, it's a very "pleasant" DVD player!)

OK experts: Your turn!
Rich.

#92006 04/23/05 09:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not sure I would call myself an expert but I will post my choice. Out of those two players.............it's easy. 2900 hands down.

#92007 04/23/05 09:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi pizoni,

While everyone feels the Denon 2900 and 2910 are the state of the art DVD player to get, and certainly they are very good, I would point out that differences in video playback amount to nuances. If you obsess over video quality, then get the Denon. But at the same time, remember that DVD is NOT HD quality, and no amount of upconverting, line doubling and other video processing can turn DVD into HD.

As to the audio quality of the SACD, DVD-Audio and plain ol' CD playback, while there are measurable differences in the Signal to Noise and some other electrical criteria, these differences in my judgment are not audible between the expensive players and the cheap Universal players (Pioneer, Toshiba, Samsung etc.). The anecdotal reports of audible differences between various D/A converters are, in my experience, NEVER based on really controlled testing, which involves running duplicate discs (DVD-As, SACDs, CDs, etc.) perfectly synced on both players, equalizing playback levels exactly and careful instantaneous A/B switching between players. When controls like these are used, many of the alleged audible differences evaporate.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#92008 04/23/05 10:12 PM
local
local
Well well well. If we consider Alan's statements to be true. And I'm sure that they are true enough. We all need to rush out to Costco (at least those of us that live near one or even know what a Costco is) and buy the Samsung universal player that they have there for . . . .$99.00

Yup for one hundred bucks you get SACD,DVD audio, DVD, CD, MP3, . . need I say more.

Just think, instead of spending the over $500 for the other players you could invest that $400 plus into better speakers or better amplification. A far better dollar for dollar improvement in sound quality than investing $400 more into a DVD player!

#92009 04/23/05 10:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey, maybe I'll change my thoughts here! Maybe I have M50 speakers but M60 or M80...or maybe even...

Or maybe I'll just let it go with what I said about my lazy dayz ol' Sony juke box.
It's all good.

Rich.

#92010 04/23/05 10:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Funny thing though, my $100.00 WalMart Toshiba has nowhere near the picture of my 2900 nor does the $89.00 Best Buy special I currently run in my kids rec room.

I'm actually going to shut up now as this thread is going to get me into trouble. To a point I agree with Alan but to state
In reply to:

If you obsess over video quality, then get the Denon

to me at least this is wrong. The 2900 has a vastly superior picture to a bargain priced DVD player. What the hell is wrong with wanting the best picture out of a DVD player? For those of us who want the best picture we can get, we look at Denon, Arcam and others. For those that can live with pixel break up, chroma issues, blacker then black issues, sloooooooooow layer changes and a host of other things, more power to you and yes a cheap player will work just fine and dandy.......but it's good to know that there are options out there for those of us who don't want to live with the above.

The Denon should be looked at for just it's layer changes. When they happen I can't see them. My other players all pause for at least 2 or 3 seconds. Is that worth something to me? yes it is. That is what you usually get with a quality player versus a Wally World special....better picture, seemless layer changes and yes even better DAC's.................darn, I said I was going to shut up didn't I? MY BAD!

#92011 04/24/05 01:32 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
That's OK. Since you own an audio accessory company, and thus part of your livelihood depends on people believing in tangible differences between product X and product Y, I supposed you're allowed a rant or two every now and then. Just don't go overboard or we'll ask you to submit hard evidence.

#92012 04/24/05 01:46 AM
devotee
devotee
Pizoni,
I do not know the Yam DV-C6770, but I have the Yam listed in my sig, as well as the 2900.
I guess I'm going to fall on both sides (or neither depending on your outlook) on this one.
The Yamaha has a perfectly acceptable picture by today's standards. In other words, very good.
Way better than the inexpensive Sony that it replaced, or the even less expensive Sony before that, and I can't remember what the first (free) one was.
But, it is certainly not the 2900.
My eyes see a vast difference between the two.

As to sound, it is a bit apples and oranges.
Playing the 2900 via analog inputs, so I'm using the DACs in the 2900.
The Yamaha is only connected via digital, so I am using the DACs in the Yamaha 2500.
Again, the Yamaha is very good. Very, very good for the money.
But the Denon is, to my ears, far, far superior.
I much prefer it to the Yamaha given how I am using them.

I've never hooked up the digital audio outputs on the Denon,
nor the analog outputs on the Yamaha, so, like I say, it is a bit of a stilted comparison.

you can find a good review of the Yamaha at Audioholics.com

Just my 2 cents.

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters