Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (DTS). Horrible...WTF?
#92259 04/26/05 07:11 AM
hashts Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Ok I'll be the first to admit I'm no audio expert but just received the Eagles in DTS and am thoroughly DISAPPOINTED! Maybe I'm doing something wrong but Hotel California sounds like total SHIITE! Once the intro is over all is I hear is that damn crappy bass guitar (or synthesizer or whatever the hell its called). Any way you cut it the song sounds like total crap and that damn noise overpowers everything including the backup guitars. Its like they got a $2 synth or a Sony my first bass guitar. All you pretty much hear is Don Henly and that damn bass... the other guitars are coming out of surrounds. WTF is up with putting those in surrounds?

Has anyone else noticed this or am I just crazy? I listened to in PCM Stereo and it sounds MUCH better but dammit I paid for a DTS concert disc and it flat out sucks! Again, I'm no expert and everything else in my collection rocks but this is simply unacceptable.

Tequila Sunrise and Heart of the Matter sound great but I pretty much purchased this for Hotel California. Am I crazy or does everyone else hear the same thing I am?

BTW, for the people that have this disc, the crap sound starts at 13:20 and doesn't let us as long as Don Henly is on vocals. I also tried adjusting my sub but that didn't help much (like I said, I'm no expert).

Can you guys help me out here? Have I been listening to Hotel Cali wrong and this overpowering bass guitar is how the song is supposed to sound?! The PCM track sounds fine but I want my DTS.

Any and all help would be appreciated

PS-I used the Denon mic to auto-calibrate all 5 speakers+sub and EVERYTHING else sounds great (movies and Metallica - Cunning Stunts <---keep chuckling Peter!)

Re: Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (DTS). Horrible...WTF?
#92260 04/26/05 12:17 PM
shareholder in the making
My assumption is that something's "off" in your setup, because many people consider Hotel California to be a reference disc.... though I'm not sure what if you say everything's calibrated!

I know... not much help.... (!)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#92261 04/26/05 01:34 PM
buff
buff
In my system, Hotel California sounds spectacular. The guitars are very prominent in the left and right main speakers and they sound incredible. Guitars from the surrounds? It sounds like you may have a set-up issue.

This probably isn't helpful...but I wanted to chime in because what you are hearing is the opposite of what I'm hearing. As the previous poster stated, I use this disc, and Hotel California in particular, as demo material.

--------- NEC 42" Plasma Axiom M60s(x3)/QS4s/M22s Denon 3805/3910 Outlaw 7700 SVS PC-Ultra
#92262 04/26/05 01:37 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I think the sound you’re hearing is a sampled bass drum sound triggered by the conga player (odd combination huh?). You’re not crazy, I have to agree with you, it’s annoying, out of place and it kills the mood of the song.
I suggest you to calibrate the sub level, it’s possible that you have too much juice on the sub, and that will make it worse than it is.
I have to admit , your post was kinda amusing, I’d always thought the same but didn’t have the nerve to say it... :P

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
#92263 04/26/05 01:54 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i think the DTS of 'hell freezes over', is one of the better sounding concert discs out there.. you will need to turn your sub down a little(at least i do), but overall, it sounds great to me. so i would guess that either there is an issue with your set-up, or, you just dont like the DVD..?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#92264 04/26/05 03:05 PM
I agree, it sounds like a configuration issue. Possibly your receiver levels need to be checked.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#92265 04/26/05 03:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Possible DVD problem...???
I use mine when auditioning speakers and it sounds great.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
Re: Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (DTS). Horrible...W
#92266 04/26/05 06:10 PM
hashts Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Glad to hear at least someone is hearing what Im hearing Jamie . When I get home tonight, Ill recalibrate my entire setup and fidget with the sub volume (Velo HGS-10). However it still doesn't explain all the other songs in DTS format sound phenomenal. I was playing Metallica Cunning Stunts BEFORE the Eagles DVD and it sounded great as well. I will mention my volume is always around 60%-ish (Min volume would be at 7 O'Clock and Max volume at 5 O'Clock. The volume is around 1 O'Clock)

In PCM format and on my ipod (mp3) the bass drum is there just simply not as pronounced in the DTS version. To me all I hear from the center channel is vocals and the bass drum with the surrounds playing guitars. Of course the mains and subs are also being used but the bass drum drives me crazy since its seperated from the other music and overpowers it.

Can you guys do me a favor and when you get home listen to the track? Simply focus on the bass drum and let me know if you feel if its too pronounced and drowns out other music.

Thanks for everyone's help and I will recalibrate my setup tonight. Hopefully that will help since Hotel California is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Movies (esp LoTR: FotR during the Balroq scene) simply rocks and the bass doesn't overpower the other channels. Incredibles is amazing as well. Nuff said cus I know you all agree with me there.

#92267 04/26/05 06:48 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

However it still doesn't explain all the other songs in DTS format sound phenomenal.

hmm, ...looks like the problem you’re having may be linked to room acoustics.
Seems that the bass drum freq is been amplified by your rooms acoustic characteristics. A SPL device to plot you room freq will tell us that.

Or the DVD is just defective, but that’ll be unlikely, I think (?). Have anyone ever had a defective CD or DVD in which the mix is screw up?

Last edited by JaimeG; 04/26/05 06:50 PM.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
#92268 04/26/05 07:34 PM
I hate to ask the obvious (and no insult is intended) but are you calibrating on DTS or Dolby? They're usually (?) different calibration settings on the receiver. If the Metallica DVD is not DTS (and I don't think it is), this could be where the issue is.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters