Print Thread
Rate Thread
DVD Recorders -seeking buying advice
#94000 05/12/05 05:37 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hi All,

I'm looking into buying a DVD Recorder, stand alone type. I think I want one that has a built in hard drive, and is progressive scan capable. I'm not sure there are any other features that are must have, unless I hear otherwise from you all. I intend to use it primarily for converting 8mm tape home movies to DVD. And maybe downloading content stored on my Tivo box. I currently have a Pioneer Elite Dv-45A as my CD/DVD player. So I was thinking of getting a Pioneer DVD recorder becuse I've been happy with their products.

But I'd like to hear any other advice that is out there.

I want to get a stand alone type, so it will be simple enough for my wife to use. The internal PC types are more versatile, but more complicated, and I don't have a PC near my TV. I'll probably get a DVD burner in my PC later, to do more advanced editing. For now, I just want to dump all the video to DVD before the quality degrades too much.

Re: DVD Recorders -seeking buying advice
#94001 05/12/05 08:45 PM
veteran
veteran
Get one with at least an s-video input. And if you want to use it like a TiVo (pause, chase-play, etc.), I think you need to get one that supports the DVD-RAM format.

Some of the cheaper ones only have a composite input and do not support DVD-RAM. (The LG model has composite input on the rear, but s-vid and composite on the front panel. Go figure...)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044