Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 5 of 101 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 100 101
Re: OT - What's your favorite Reds?
#95427 05/25/05 06:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
They only had one: Campo de Borja Borsao 2003. The little card in front of the wine called it a "fruit bomb". We'll see.

#95428 05/25/05 07:22 PM
aficionado
aficionado
bigjohn:
Always remember to never cook with wine that you wouldn't drink....

#95429 05/25/05 07:39 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Very good point. My girlfriend is currently attending a cordon blue culinary school in London. Her instructors told her the exact same thing.

So I just make sure we ain’t drinking anything that would cause pains when pouring it into the pan.

#95430 05/25/05 09:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's just great advice all around and one of the reasons why i've gone looking for 'house' reds and whites. The search involves finding wines that are nicely refined to drink on any general occasion, but are not so pricey that picking up a case comes like a downpayment on a car.
Secondly, to be able to use those same wines for cooking without wincing each time a half cup is poured into a searing pan instead of into the awaiting, watering mouth.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#95431 05/26/05 01:51 AM
devotee
devotee
Tell them they are missing the boat if they are not buying the Borsao "Tres Picos"
More $$$, but not by much, and it is amazing.
A real personal fave.
But, if they are someone that you trust, then ask them to recommend whatever it is that they bought instead of the Tres Picos. Bright, clean fresh, Old Vines Garnache. Tons of white pepper spice, and once it has been open for a while, lots and lots of smoked bacon aromas and flavors. Incredible with spicy pork from the grill.

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#95432 05/26/05 02:20 AM
devotee
devotee
"The search involves finding wines that are nicely refined to drink on any general occasion, but are not so pricey that picking up a case comes like a downpayment on a car."

Exactly!
That for me is the ultimate challenge.
ANYONE can make great wine for $40 a bottle.
(Well, now that I read that line, I realize that it is an absolute LIE! There is WAY too much pure CRAP out there for large amounts of $$$s!)
But, to find the really, really good stuff out there for a reasonable amount of our hard earned dollars is the real trick.
After all, We are posting on the Axion Site, Right?
Speakers that sound like they should sell for 3 times the price, and people looking for wines that do the same.
Same idea, different sources of pleasure.

It has been a kick for me to see this Wine Thread take off in the last week, but I have been very, very reticient in posting to it because this is my livelihood and business, and is something that I (finallY!!!) know as much about as some of the other topics that are covered here. I do not want to post any opinions that I might have that might dampen anyone's enthusiasm for something that they like and enjoy!
So, in advance, please excuse me if one of my posts ends up sounding like "That is CRAP!"
And I promise to be a Severe Editor if I see that creeping in.
These worlds have a lot in common. It is all subjective.
I often like to invoke the same sort of feeling about the most important rule about wine that there was about the First rule in Fight Club.
The most important rule about wine is;
If you Like it, You like it! Nothing else matters!
Don't ever let someone try and talk you out of something that you like, and don't ever let someone tell you that you should like something that you do not.
End of rant...
Back downstairs for another glass of St. Innocent Pinot Gris...
Later,
Tom

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#95433 05/26/05 02:24 AM
devotee
devotee
"Always remember to never cook with wine that you wouldn't drink.... "

It is staggering to me when someone says "I'm only cooking with it."

Would you put meat in the pan that you would not eat?
It is great advice, and does make a huge difference.
Besides, it is another reason (not like we need any more excuses) to open a decent bottle of wine!

#95434 05/26/05 03:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

ANYONE can make great wine for $40 a bottle.
(Well, now that I read that line, I realize that it is an absolute LIE! There is WAY too much pure CRAP out there for large amounts of $$$s!)

Oh absolutely.
I tried ZD Wines chardonnay at the wine festival. It was $50 a bottle. I pegged it at $16 before i knew the price.
You gotta be out of your mind. Fifty bucks for that?
In reply to:

It has been a kick for me to see this Wine Thread take off in the last week, but I have been very, very reticient in posting to it because this is my livelihood and business, and is something that I (finallY!!!) know as much about as some of the other topics that are covered here. I do not want to post any opinions that I might have that might dampen anyone's enthusiasm for something that they like and enjoy!

Feh.
Have you seen the beer thread lately? Or for that matter, how many views it has had?
Very popular topics in the booze category. I can't imagine why.
I think if anyone has a more intimate knowledge of any area of expertise, they should share it. For one i would appreciate alot of good wine leads and opinions. There are few around our place who enjoy it as much as myself, my wife and another friend, so short of joining a local wine club we welcome new ideas.
The conversation about the wine coolers gave me some things to consider and some first hand feedback from owners of various brands. VERY helpul indeed.
Now if only we could rename this thread to "Wine thread" just like the more generic "beer thread" to make finding it easier.

And what about these pinot noirs? I've tried some just recently and i'm not sure what to think. Extremely complex flavours. First thought off my head was 'burnt coffee'. I certainly think the hype is just that, a bit too much hype.
I was far more impressed with the New Zealand sauvignon blancs. Now those were truly fascinating. The quality and type of earth makes such a huge difference in the character flavour of the grape.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#95435 05/26/05 03:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>Now if only we could rename this thread to "Wine thread" just like the more generic "beer thread" to make finding it easier.

Amen to that. I almost missed the thread completely. I figured it was about football or communists or something...

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#95436 05/26/05 04:01 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Seabear, I was pretty stoked heading into the wine store with your list of Spanish reds - I acted like I had a friend in high places letting me know what's what.
Seriously, my wine buying has always been centered on "deals". And, by the time I get around to drinking it, I have no idea where I got it or for how much. And to top it off, when I like a wine I can never remember it's name and am doomed to never have it again.
You're doing good work here.
edit:
BTW, my wife cracked open one of the bottles I brought home. After dinner I tried it - I liked it. How's this sound as tasting notes:
Sweet, then sour, then sweet again cherry flavors to start, giving way to a woody mid-section, and ending with darl fruit flavors (is that what they call "currants"?).

Last edited by BigWill; 05/26/05 04:05 AM.
Page 5 of 101 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters