Page 59 of 101 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 100 101
Re: the wine thread
chesseroo #205318 04/24/08 02:58 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
If the Melchor you are sitting on is an 02, you need to drink it now. I had one a couple weeks ago and it's not on par with the other vintages. I don't think it will keep much longer.

michael_d #205320 04/24/08 03:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
If the Melchor you are sitting on is an 02, you need to drink it now. I had one a couple weeks ago and it's not on par with the other vintages. I don't think it will keep much longer.

In hindsight i thought i would double check the cellar.
I don't have a Melchor; i have a Don Amado that is cellaring ('99).
Funny because i swear i bought one, but maybe, just maybe we did drink it one New Year's that i just don't recall.
However, i do have a 2000 Peter Lehmann Mentor in the cellar so maybe that was the one i bought instead of the Melchor.

Perhaps it is time to buy some cellar software to keep track of this stuff.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #205323 04/24/08 03:13 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Never heard of the Don Amado. Any good?

Speaking of software, last week I downloaded "the personal wine curator" for a 30 day trial. I like it so far. I wish it would gather more information from wineries, like lables and bottle prices, but I supose that would be pretty dificult to do. I'd also like the software to gather currnet action values, but again, I don't know if that's even possible.

At any rate, you can download the software here: http://www.thewinecurators.com/

michael_d #205325 04/24/08 03:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Never heard of the Don Amado. Any good?

Speaking of software, last week I downloaded "the personal wine curator" for a 30 day trial. I like it so far. I wish it would gather more information from wineries, like lables and bottle prices, but I supose that would be pretty dificult to do. I'd also like the software to gather currnet action values, but again, I don't know if that's even possible.

At any rate, you can download the software here: http://www.thewinecurators.com/

I have not had the Don Amado. I'm not sure where it came from. All i know is that it is a cellaring Chilean red.
http://www.torreon.cl/

Don Amado Special Reserve - 1999 - Cachapoal Valley
Description
WINEMAKER NOTES: This exceptional wine is the product of a very challenging growing season. 1998 was the driest year in Chilean history, which gave rise to Caber net Sauvignon and Merlot that were extremely lean yet excellent in ter ms of grape health, ripeness, color, flavor, and concentration. The must was fermented in stainless steel tanks and then aged for 16 months in new French oak barrels. TASTING NOTES: This bright ruby-red and violet wine shows tremendous aromatic complexity with elegant notes of cassis, black currant, plum, and vanilla. Harmonious on the palate, this flavorful wine is warm, soft, and well-rounded with delicate tannins that provide structure and ensure its potential for ageing gracefully in the bottle.

Special Notes
This 1999 harvest has been distinguished for the following prizes: -Silver Medal Sélections Mondiales des vins, Montréal, Canada, March 2004 -Bronze Medal 1st Annual Wines of Chile Awards, Santiago, Chile, December 2003 -Recommended with 3 stars Decanter Magazine, London, UK, October 2003 -Silver Medal Challenge International du Vin, Blaye-Bourg, France, May 2002 - Silver Medal Concours Mondial de Bruxelles, Belgium, April 2002 -Silver Medal Vinitaly, 10th International Wine Competition, Verona, Italy, April 2002

I've tried two cellar software programs and i like features of both. I wish they could be integrated together. I'm leaning towards the Avos Vins at this time.

http://www.cellarwinesoftware.com/index.html
http://www.avosvins.ca/indexeng.htm

chesseroo #205331 04/24/08 04:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for the links to the software guys, I'm downloading the Demo of the Personal Wine Curator now, lots of good stuff on all three links.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #205340 04/24/08 04:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I like the customizable cellar layout of Avos Vins and i find its reports more informative.
The pronunciation and dictionary features of Cellar! are pretty neat though.

Both programs take some setting up and yes, i agree with mdrew that some auto download features to fill in wine selections and so forth would be great, but highly unlikely.
At least the apps have lists of wine regions and many names already embedded so a complete typing of that information may not be necessary.

chesseroo #205349 04/24/08 05:24 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
PWC auto polulates regions after you enter the sub region. It has several thousand wineries already in its database, so that's not a big deal either. The fields are intuitive as well. You put in a "T" for Turley, and it scolls to the "Tees". I entered 285 bottles in about three hours. It also has a "Drink By" function that's pretty cool. Not sure how acurate it is, but it's a handy tool to have. I'll probably stick with PWC seeing how I already put this much time into it. Plus, there web sight says they are coming out with a newer version this fall with some more features.

After using this software for a while, I don't know how anyone with any inventory at all can get along without it.

michael_d #205351 04/24/08 05:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite

After using this software for a while, I don't know how anyone with any inventory at all can get along without it.

That PWC program is a pig compared to the others.
41 mb!!

Considering i thought i had a Melchor cellaring and i do not, i think it is time i spent the effort logging the 118 or so bottles in the cellar.
The Avosvins app also has a 'drink by' feature, but i think you plug in the expected drinking year yourself and then it tracks it from there, designating bottles with different colours (green, yellow and red) depending on the relation of present time to the entered corking date.

chesseroo #205352 04/24/08 05:46 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
The drink by function with PWC is auto. You have to have the wine's varietal, distinction, year and region entered. You then just click the button and it tells you when you should drink it, and also the drink by date. Some bottles of mine it couldn't give me data because they are an "un-known" to the software. For example, I have some Wattle Creek Malbecs from the Alexander Valley region. It didn't recognize that. Apearently, there aren't many Malbecs in Napa...

There's a bunch of other things you can do with it, like pair foods and enter menus and different ratings, but I haven't messed with those much.

michael_d #205407 04/24/08 10:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm going to try to get all my wines in over the weekend, I wish I had started this a couple years ago, there have been many good wines I've had that I can't remember the names of.
We actually received a wine lable diary type book a couple years back as a gift and never got around to using it, now I wish I had.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Page 59 of 101 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters