Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wire fishing?
#9662 03/30/03 02:00 PM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Does anyone have any tricks or advice on how to fish wire through the wall to get it up to the QS8's in the back? I tried yesterday, but even with a wire fishing tool it seems very difficult to lineup the hole created on the wall and the one down in the basement where the wires will be coming from. I couldn't get the wire through, so it is just sitting there on the outside of the wall for now. If I can't figure out a way to do it, I'll have to go with Cordmate pieces on the wall from Home Depot, but that won't look as good.

Thanks.

Re: Wire fishing?
#9663 03/30/03 08:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Zarak,

Hope this helps...

Guide to Home Theater Installation from crutchfield.com

#9664 03/30/03 10:50 PM
devotee
devotee
I bought a tool from Home Depot. I think it's called a Cable Snake. It was $10 or less in U.S. currency. I found it easier to go from the upper QS8 wire hole to the lower hole. The cable snake is very rigid and easy to grab with a wire hanger when you see it through the lower hole. Can you picture the scene? Let me know if you need anything else.

#9665 04/02/03 08:17 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Did you have any success on this ?? I'm not sure if you are having trouble getting the wire between the two floors, or just need advice on how to run it up the wall itself ? That would be two different procedures, but easy enough to complete.. Best advice would be to pick up a copy of basic wiring from Home Depot.. There are a number of books there on the subject of running wire thoughout the home.. If you still need help, let me know.. I've picked up a few tricks over the years, and would not mind sharing them..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#9666 04/03/03 01:03 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
No...no success...haven't made another attempt after Saturday yet though. The one wall shouldn't be bad, since it has no insulation. The insulation in the other seems to be the problem(doing the hard one first). I am running the wires from the front of the family room to the back. They are going down into the basement, and then I am trying to fish them through the walls from down there to get up to the surrounds on the sides. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. I don't think I was quite lined up properly, but it's hard to tell exactly where the fish was with it going through the wall and the insulation. I could see why it's called fishing....like finding a needle in a haystack trying to get the holes lined up and the fish through it seems.

#9667 04/03/03 10:41 AM
devotee
devotee
Try going from the upper hole down to the lower hole. It seems easier to control the cable snake this way. Then, hopefully you can see the tip of the cable snake and attach the wire to it.

#9668 04/04/03 12:40 AM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Ooooh tay.. First off, I never use a store bought snake, unless its a long run, and thru some type of conduit or such.. They just aren't really made for pokin' short wire runs inside dry wall.. I use a length of 12 guage solid copper wire, just like you use for running your electrical..
This stuff is great, as it can be bent this way and that, and cut to whatever length you may need to jump from one hole to the next..
I bend the tip back over on itself, (about 1/4 inch) to prevent it from hanging up on insulation or what have you inside the walls..
Give the wire a slight bend over its entire length, and when you feed it into the hole, you can keep it between the insulation batts and inside surface of the wall you are working on..
Three to 6 foot runs are a piece of cake.. Longer ones take practice, but it's not rocket science..
I cut a hole approx 2" by 4" on the feeding end.. And somewhat smaller on the recieving end.. Just enough to stick a couple fingers thru, and feel for the wire..
Here's a little trick.. You can 'feel' the insulation moving and/or shaking with your fingers, if you lightly place them on the paper or plastic batting.. This will help you direct the end of the wire into your waiting grasp..
And, with practice, you will find the holes you make getting smaller and smaller.. Less patch work later..
To work horizontally across a wall requires passing thru the wall studs.. Two optoins: Small hole across the area of the stud, cut a knotch in the exposed wood, and then lay the wire across it.. Cover the knotch with small piece of plastic or metal, and patch over it..
Or, a slightly larger hole, and drill a hole thru the stud.. Not that difficult with a long sharp drill bit.. You just drill in at the best angle you can from EACH side of the stud.. The hole thru is completed where the two drilled holes meet.. Use a half inch bit or so, as the holes never seems to meet up in the exact same spot..
Remember, there are also fire brakes running horizontally between the vertical wall studs.. If and when you incounter those, same techniques apply..
It is possible to make some very long runs between holes in the wall.. But, you may well find that a couple short runs, even when there are no studs in the way, may indeed save you much time and heartburn..
If this helps, I may be able to give ya some advise on going between floors.. Again, not impossible, but it's funny how this simple stuff can suck yer weekend dry ! But hey, it's kind of relaxing, in a sick sort a way ??

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#9669 04/18/03 09:59 PM
old hand
old hand
Hey thanks, that's helpful. I currently have my 5.1 setup with the QS8 surrounds in back of the listening position, since the previous owner had speaker connections already run to that location. I've been wanting to run connections to the side of the listening position and hang another set of QS8s on the wall, but I have somewhat intimidated by the prospect of running wire through the wall. (I've also been waiting for the full metal bracket to come out!) With this info, maybe I'll tackle this project next weekend! (If I finish the nursery.)

ChrisR

M60s, VP150, QS8 x4 ACI Titan II sub Anthem AVM20 pre/pro Anthem PVA7 amp Panasonic DVD-RP91
#9670 04/19/03 01:49 AM
devotee
devotee
How long have we been waiting for the new bracket now????

Bueller...Bueller????

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters