Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
finally set receiver to large speakers
#9710 04/03/03 01:43 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
While listening to some music this past weekend, I was going through my receiver manual. Mainly to lock my receiver so my teenagers would not blast the music while I was not at home. I realized that my speaker settings were set to small. I changed the setting to large, it made a noticeable improvement in the bass department. I now have moved my subwoofer to the rear of the room, and have adjusted its gain way down to about 2. my room still shakes when I play Kid Rock for my BullMastiff, she likes Kid Rock for some reason. Moving my "sub to the rear of the room has improved the Bass response, and gives the room a more filled in feeling.

Re: finally set receiver to large speakers
#9711 04/03/03 03:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi vtimpaler,

I'm not sure what speakers you are using up front, but the "Small" vs "Large" setting can be very room-dependent, with large floorstanding main speakers. Sometimes it results in "double bass" with both the mains and the sub getting the same bass energy, and there is just way too much bass. Lots of enthusiasts like that effect, I admit.

In some large rooms, it can be beneficial to leave the mains on Large.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#9712 04/04/03 04:15 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yes, Vlad(incidentally, it's good to see that you've taken up a friendlier way to entertain yourself)my experience has been that with a good sub, properly set up,it's always better to set all the speakers "small" regardless of how big they may be.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#9713 04/04/03 05:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I am surprised that you had not noticed your speakers set to small earlier on.
My preference is to use the full range of bass from my M60s and to keep my sub for only the low range rumble noises of home theatre (hence turning my sub crossover down to the 45hz-50hz setting). I did find however that moving my sub to the back of my listening area caused some problems with timing and general quality.
Changing the phase switch on the sub did not make any difference.
Have you noticed any muddyness in the bass since you moved your sub?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#9714 04/07/03 03:30 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
I have the M60's, sorry for leaving that out. I have my sub settings low. My room is about 14x23, my huge sectional is against the left wall and the "L" shape extends out about 9 feet. I have about 6 feet of space behind the sectional, and a half wall, my family room is sunken and opens up into the kitchen that has a vaulted ceiling. My sub is placed behind the sectional facing into the center of the room. I tried different placements of the port of my sub, and this placement gave me the best bass response, not as boomy, and you can really feel it while watiching movies with a lot of LFE content. I had the sub up front (between left tower & center, then right tower & center)originally and it seemed like there was too much low energy in the front of the room. the sound was muddled, and the highs were less clear. It was almost like my huge sectional was a wall. Now I think I have solved that problem with my sub in the back of my room. Even my fiance thinks the sound is much better. probem is I can not afford to get the rest of my new Axiom speakers till I put in a Driveway, Deck, and Fence. I even asked my fiance to get a 3rd job to help me get my new speakers sooner, but she said no way.

#9715 04/07/03 04:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
vt,
You had not mentioned what your sub crossover was set at when the sub was located up front. I'm going to assume it was set at the 80Hz position or perhaps more.
I suggest that if you have your M60s set to large in the receiver and a sub up front, that you turn down the sub crossover to around 55Hz or less and you should see alot of the muddyness cleared up.
I suppose you have your sub in a new configuration now but if you are interested in putting it back up front, give this a try if you have not already done so.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#9716 04/08/03 02:16 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
chess,
the sub I have came with my HTIB. Not much in the way of settings. It is part of a JBL CinePropack 600. 5 satellites, and a 8" sub. A 5 channel receiver, plus a 5 disc DVD player. the system has served us well for almost 3 years. The M60's were the first step in upgrading our main system. I am planning on a new receiver, a combo DVD Audio/SACD player, a new sub( maybe HSU) plus the VP 150 and the QS8's.
the Sub only has the LFE input, and no gain or crossover settngs. the settings I have them at now are through the receiver. I have the sub set to -4db. If I need more thump when watching a movie I just set it to 0 or +1db, and it blends well with the rest of my system. thanks for the imput

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044