Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: OT:NOW I'M MAD!
#97280 06/06/05 09:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
St. James?
Now what could possibly be of interest there.

Dinner? If i recall the wife said something about cream cheese stuffed portabello mushroom frittata.
That has wine written all over it.
Now i have to head over to the wine thread...

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#97281 06/06/05 10:25 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

St. James? Now what could possibly be of interest there.

Costco... smokes and batteries.

Bren R.

#97282 06/06/05 10:56 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Battery-operated cigarettes?! What will they think of next?

#97283 06/07/05 04:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ya know something Alou, "Everybody" who ever bought and liked their M40s is a "Winner"

When I first started visiting this site way back in the early days of this millenium, the M40 was a speaker that was bought and used quite frequently and had lots of happy reviews; by consumers both on this site, in Audio Review, and other, web sites; all was well in the M40 world.

Then there was that "Professional" review that stated that the M40 was as good as the M3 in a lot of areas, but not so good in others.(I'm sure you've read it) Unfortunately the areas that were discounted were the ones that many people thought were important enough to discount the M40s as "not quite good enough" That M40 review was followed rather rapidly by another review that stated further, that the M3 was inferior to the M22 in a number of important points. The M3 lost some of it's stature on the Axiom line-up, and the M40 dropped yet another rung.

At that point the M40s entered that slippery slope to where it ended up this week.

Seems to me that...

Some folks prefer warm, yet dynamic but comfortable speakers, such as yourself.

Others prefer somewhat more neutral speakers that don't call attention to themselves, such as Me.

Yet others prefer a more exacting, clean, cool sound, such as the average Axiom user.

Unfortunately for the M40(and the M50 to follow?)the average Axiom fan prefers the cooler, more accurate sound by something like a 15 to 1 ratio. And this is as it should be, as the Company is clearly aiming itself toward these fans of the more accurate presentation, which is a very good thing for Axiom, and their customers, as it's better to focus on one segment of the listening population and do a "great" job than to try to satisfy each portion with a mearly "much better than average" product.

It is gratifying to note that in it's dying gasp, the M40 reached out to a lot of folks and let it be known just how good they really were!
Rich.

#97284 06/07/05 04:44 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i think i hear TAPS playing in the background..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#97285 06/07/05 05:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Me too!

I hear it played equally well through my M3s and M50s also, but up-front and in full surround!! Really sounds good!

Oh oh! Could the fact that I don't hear it in the background mean something important?!

I wonder.....
Rich.

#97286 06/07/05 05:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>Unfortunately for the M40(and the M50 to follow?)the average Axiom fan prefers the cooler, more accurate sound by something like a 15 to 1 ratio.

That raises an interesting question. There is no doubt that sales seem to be heavily biased towards the M22/M60 family, but how much of that is based on actual preference vs. "buying what people recommend". I am actually finding that I prefer the M3/M40/M50 family sound on most music... and still find those speakers to be much more "clear" (don't call it bright ) than the competition.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#97287 06/07/05 05:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
When I first started paying serious attention to this hobby I believed a speaker that gave as faithful a reproduction of the source as possible the only way to go. To hear the singer inhale, or fingers slide over the guitar fret are little nuances that make revealing speakers special. Sometimes, though, this reproduction of every little sound can be tiring (at least in long term listening sessions). It's almost as if the speaker demands your attention. I find myself trying to listen into the music to uncover little details.

"Warm" of "laid-back" speakers can offer good clarity, just not the extra bite of finite details (this is a gross generalization, I know), which lend themselves to a nice smooth presentation. Maybe it offers a better presentation of what the music is offering and not what the music is hiding.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just different. I think a lot of people don't have the luxury of hearing both kinds of sounds on his/her own system. The average person buys one set of speakers, learns to like the sound, and sticks with it. I'm not saying that sound is bad to begin with, just that it's good enough that most people don't search for something else.

I guess there is the other side of the coin where people do like their speakers, but just like to tinker and try different things.

I just got my M40s yesterday, and they offer a much different sound to my Monitor Audio GR 10s. I've put maybe three hours on them so far, but I like what I hear. Need to do some more listening to give better impressions.

This hobby is going to be the death of me. I don't think this sound odyssey will ever stop, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Well, until I run out of room for the stuff. . .

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#97288 06/07/05 06:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi John;

Your question is exactly the one that I've been asking myself for a number of years while watching Axiom history unfold.

At first the M3 and M40 were the two most obvious choices in the days when the speakers' cost was a very important part of many purchasers decision making. The M3 seemed to be king by virtue of its' low cost and preponderence of positive "professional" and consumer reviews.(Nobody didn't like M3s!!) The M40 was then the obvious step-up.

The M22 review was a turning point, in as much as it brought "Performance" even deeper into the picture.(and who can argue with "Performance" even if a very few minor warts accompanied those gains) Even the increase in cost was listed as a potential "positive" as the average Axiom buyer was listing "low cost"in this forum far less often as a reason for buying, and after all, you get what you....

The M2 came along and continued the Performance trend. And...

Who Can Argue With Performance?!

But if these performance reviews are carefully studied, there are a number of negatives carefully concealed within, but...

Who can argue....Right?!!

I suspect that the heavy performance ratio is two fold:

Part of it IS "Buying what people recommend" of course, enthusiasm can be very contagious. Some of these buyers may well be served better by the ever so slightly warmer(M3, M40-RIP, M50)presentation, or even further yet to the "Warm Side".

Another segment would be those folks who, while reading other forums, learn that Axiom has the cool, accurate sound that they perfer and were looking for in the first place, but at a lower price than some of the obvious competition that is so often quoted in this forum.

A third group, call it luck, budgetary constraints, a bit more time really digging and asking questions, or what have you, find that the M3 M40 M50 group is that one that serves "them" best. It can be very difficult to buy without hearing, but just as easy to make the wrong choice the first time, even for the mature seasoned listener.

I, personally, get annoyed easily. I tend to go for the "Most Loved-Least Negatives"ratio. Works For Me!!
Rich.

#97289 06/07/05 06:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Sean'

We are having fun, aren't we?!!

I know what you mean about one set of speaker type growing on a person. I lived that way for about a decade with the same set of speakers until the HT craze hit and then I went to an HTIB system. New HTIB speakers...hummmm....not as good as the old; better start studying!!

Went to some B&Ms and learned that I was "ever so slightly" to the Dark Side. Made getting the M3s an easy choice. And a good choice! Liked them even better than my "Decade" speakers.

Like my new M50s even better!!(From what I've been reading here, my M50s may be somewhere between M40s and MAs!)

Interesting.....
Rich.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082