Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OT: May have to sell the Axioms.
#98472 06/12/05 05:10 PM
bray Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
As many of you know, I'm a freelance commercial photographer.
The years of 2003 and 2004 were very profitable years and I had more work offered to me than I could possibly do.
Since Jan. 2005, I've had very little work and my savings are all but gone, so now I'm going to have to start selling things or find a full time posistion somewhere.
Basically, I'm looking for work ANYWHERE, full time or freelance.
If any of your work places have need for photography or have a studio in place, please pass my name along.
I've been working in photography for 20 years now, and have shot everything from small product to fashion. I'm also well versed in all professional digital photograhy programs as well as traditional film photography.
If anyone has any leeds, I would very much appreciate them.
Heres a few samples of my work if you need to show anyone.

These are just a few things I have in my portfolio, I've also shot TONS of annual report type photography.

The Axioms are last on the list to go and hopefully it wont get to that point.
The last thing I want to do is take photographs of my Axioms to post on ebay.

Sorry if this isnt appropriate, but I'm at the end of my rope.

Last edited by bray; 06/12/05 05:15 PM.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
Re: OT: May have to sell the Axioms.
#98473 06/12/05 05:52 PM
devotee
devotee
Bray those pics are flat out gorgeous. No question you have talent. Hopefully your situation improves and it doesn't come to you having to sell your Axiom gear. Good luck.

#98474 06/12/05 06:07 PM
local
local
your work speaks for itself. hats off to you.
i sincerely hope that you can figure things out so as to not have to dispose of your assets. Speakers or no speakers...no one should have to give up life. I am hopeful that something positive is in the cards.

Good Luck.

-------------------------------------
Denon 4308
M80x2,VP150,EP600,4xQS8
#98475 06/12/05 09:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You've got a lot of talent, don't give up on yourself. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. As a poor old pensioner I can't offer you anything except moral support.

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
#98476 06/12/05 10:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
check theese out----good luck.ron http://jobsearch.monster.com/jobsearch.asp?opt=go&sort=rv&vw=b&cy=US&re=14&brd=1%2C1862%2C1863&rad=50&q=photographer

#98477 06/12/05 10:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Brady
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Your talent is evident in the samples of your work that you posted. Unfortunately for our industry technology and poor economy as well as a general lack of appreciation for really good shooters is hurting all photographers. Large digital studios are opening up all over the place. They are like the Wal-Marts of the photo industry and they are hurting the small business guys. I note in your bio you are in Texas. Are you near Houston? I know there are some big studios there that use freelancers? I'm sure I don't have to tell you that but your post struck a chord with me. I am the Chief Product Photographer for Macy's Central. Our studio is based in Atlanta. Unfortunately we are feeling the pinch as well. This year I had my lead art director leave and one of my photographers also. I talked to my studio manager about the possible canadates to replace them and I was informed that we wouldn't be. Upper management informed her that we were lucky we lost the two of them because we would have been put in the situation of haveing to let two people go had those two not left. I was quite relieved that I did not have to make such a decision. Things in this city have changed so much in the last two years. My studio currently staffs 3 photographers. So before the other one left we were 4 and I was using from one to three freelancers on a regular basis. Now we three handle everything. I get calls all the time from photographers in this city and the stories are much the same. One of the biggest studios in the city just closed down.They used primarily freelance photographers as what I refer to as day shooters. As a matter of fact this past week all the equipment, props and furnishings we're auctioned off. Well I know this is not the kind of thing you need to hear right now. I try to remain optimistic. The business has gone through a few periods like this before. Studios have closed and in time others open to take their place. Keep the faith. You are very talented and with work like that you will find something. I will keep my ears open here. Through my years in the business and my responsibility for hiring staff and freelance personell I have quite a network. If I hear anything I will let you know. Hang in there.
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#98478 06/12/05 11:49 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Bray - I ran a search on Hotjobs - Lifetouch portrait studios seems to have a lot of positions open in Texas.

I have no idea if they are a good company, or whether this is helpful. You sure take a beautiful picture, though.

#98479 06/13/05 02:42 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
It seems that when needed, a good photographer is hard to come by in Alaska. That would require some balls though. You'd have to start your own business and re-locate. But keep in mind, Alaskans are used to paying more for just about everything. If you do it right, you could most likely make a fairly good living.

I also had a lengthy conversation is Destine, Florida a year ago with a photographer when I was scouting for investment property. He said he was booked six months in advance. He and his wife were doing some…er…uh… unique shots and videos for couples in addition to the usual weddings and advertisement stuff. Told me it was the newest thing and these couples are always looking for a discrete shooter. Oh, and they drove an S600, so I doubt I was getting BS’ed.

At any rate, I’d sell the tunes last. Nothing better than swinging you out of a rotten mood than a little music.

#98480 06/13/05 03:49 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Keep the chin up. Listen to good music. Take that odd job. Your obviously good at visual composition. If your good with a commputer. Try that visual design capability as a graphic artist.

#98481 06/13/05 06:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Beautiful pictures.
How about writing a childrens' book with photos instead of illustrations? My kid loves looking at pictures of animals on the internet.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters