Print Thread
Rate Thread
Epcot Center - Innoventions
#98627 06/14/05 04:18 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I'm sure some of you have been to Epcot in Florida and made it into the Innoventions (I believe that is what they called it) section. There was a home theater section in there, so I of course had to check it out.

I felt like the beginning was an ad for Bose. They play an old speaker from the 50's and then play the Bose cubes and in comparison, it sounds better. I was sitting there thinking most people in the room just left it at that and it reinforced to them that Bose was good, whereas for me I just sat there and thought, this still sounds bad.

Then, they bring you into the second room, which is a living room setup with all Bose cubes and their "sub". The best part of this room was the 70" Sony TV they had behind the wall. Once again, they play just the fronts first and then put on the surronds with it and try to point out how much better it sounds. Once again, sounded pretty bad to me.

Finally, they take you into the 3rd fully dedicated HT room. This one has a front projector, movie seating, and they realized Bose doesn't cut it, because they had different speakers (I believe they said M&K, but I didn't actually see them in the room, just heard them). This was a definite improvement over the previous room.

Anyway, I just thought it was funny. I was at the same place about 3 1/2 years ago (didn't have Axiom's yet, and hadn't started doing HT research). I don't remember them sounding as bad then.

They also had stuff like the automatic dimmer lighting, universal remote, and anything else HT related basically. It was interesting to check out, but I just had to laugh at the Bose setup.

Re: Epcot Center - Innoventions
#98628 06/14/05 12:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Keep in mind that as big as Disney is, they are still a marketing machine. Companies line up to get their products on display at Disney locations, and as we know, Bose spends most of their money on marketing their products rather than designing and building better products.

I thought that the home theater at Epcot was a cool idea, but after the marketing from Lutron for lights, I already had a bad feeling about it. Then throw in the Bose, and I just said, what the heck. I'm on vacation, I can sit back and pretend to be an uneducated consumer too and just let it go.

I found that I enjoyed the experience a lot more that way than if I had gotten hung up on the speakers that they used.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#98629 06/14/05 01:02 PM
aficionado
aficionado
i was down there a couple of weeks ago and didnt even see that display,but,did you happen to go on the ride SOARIN at epcot?definetly gives you a flying sensation.i actually picked my feet up when the camera swooped down to the water

#98630 06/14/05 02:29 PM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Yes, we did Soarin, but my favorite at Epcot was probably Mission Space. Those two were the only ones I hadn't been on before. I liked them both. Our fastpass wait for Soaring was over 5 hours. Good thing we had other things in the park to do still.

#98631 06/14/05 03:10 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Do you mean this ride?

MissionSpace

#98632 06/14/05 06:36 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I was going to post the same link. I heard the story on NPR this morning. Apparently, that ride has caused the most hospitalizations of any ride in all of Florida.

#98633 06/14/05 09:10 PM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Wow...yep, that's the one. Was just on it on Sunday. It was intense and there are lots of warnings about it. I felt a bit disoriented when getting off, so yes, there is good reason for the warnings. I don't know that a 4 year old should be going on it regardless of height requirements.

The barf bags are there, although fortunately no one needed one.

Unless trips to space get to be affordable for the everyday person in our lifetime, that ride is as close as we'll get to seeing what a launch is like.

So what action should Disney take as a result of the story linked above? Close the ride? Business as usual? Make people sign a waiver first? Add risk of death to the list of warnings?

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044