M3ti vs Bose 301
#984 01/18/02 03:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Alright, probably a silly question, but has anyone made the move from Bose 301's to
M3ti's? I just got an amp and CD player that are at least decent (Cambridge Audio A500 amp and D500se CD player) and would like to upgrade the speakers in the future. Just how would the M3ti compare to the 301s?

Thanks!

Re: M3ti vs Bose 301
#985 01/18/02 05:41 PM
old hand
old hand
i'm waiting for m22's to replace my 301's i'll let you know how they compare. i too just upgraded amps and cd players. i almost went with the same combo you did. i've been wanting to get a california audio lab cd player for some time so when i found a demo one for about the same price as the cambridge i bought the cal instead. then i found a demo amp and got a good deal on that. this is the first time i've bought any audio equipment before hearing it. i hope it all goes well together. which is one benefit you have by getting the the same brand product, those two are suppose to work well together. How do you like them so far?
i should be getting all this in by tuesday and I'll let you know how they compare.

#986 01/18/02 10:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Axiom M22ti is so much better than the Bose 301 that's not even funny. It's like comparing a Lexus to a Hyundai!!!

#987 01/20/02 05:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thus far I am amazed at the sound coming from the Cambridge A500/D500 combo. And if the M3's sound better than the 301s (which they should) I'll be even more amazed. I've been hearing things on my favorite CDs that I never knew were there!

#988 01/20/02 05:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This is an excellent reason for upgrading the "source" (cd player, or turntable depending on the owners preference). If you had replaced the speakers first, you would have had a better sound of the output of your old CD player. Since you replaced it, we can assume you felt it bad and/or lacking.

With equipment of the quality you mentioned, you may want to look slightly higher in the Axiom line. That is if your space and budget allow.

Let us know how it sounds completed!

Regards,

BBIBH

#989 01/25/02 07:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I decided I'd follow up on my own post... :-)

The M3's showed up, and they have been playing away for the past few hours. My initial observation is, for once, I can stand listening to saxaphones! The 301's really did a poor job of reproducing the sax, it was very harsh and I often had to reach for the volume to save my ears. So far the M3s show none of that! And they aren't even broken in yet.

So, the combo of Cambridge Audio A500 amp, D500se CD and M3ti's seem to be a great match (In my smallish living room). I've got the CD->Amp connection on Audioquest interconnects and the speaker cables are DIY "FFRC" cables (DIY info from the net).

If any bad habits crop up I'll let you know, but for now I have a lot of
"relistening" to do. It's like getting an entire new CD collection!

Kudos to all! And a big "Thank You" to Axiom customer service, they were top notch!

#990 01/26/02 12:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome to the REAL reason people spend the time and effort searching for the porper sound......the MUSIC!

Revalations like this are common. People real should take time and get to a shop that carries hi end audio, if only to hear it. Many a relationship (between owner and stereo equipment) has been shattered by simply listening to hifi!

Congrats!!

Regards,

BBIBH

#991 01/29/02 07:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've done the switch, and so glad for it.
The Bose had little or no soundstage, thumpy bass and overall clouded the music and indiced fatigue after an hour or so. The M3Ti s are sharp, provide very good soundstag and targeting and clarity is much superior. Bass is tight.

The Bose does, however, create a more suffused sound throughout the room, the Axiom are great in the sweetspot.

To use a cliche in audio circles, "Even my wife can notice the improvement".

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044