Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Re: Sibilance - S's overstressed
#98795 06/17/05 08:21 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

It just amazing me that anyone would remotely suggest that there is no room for improvement - with regards to anything.

And it amazes ME that anyone would downplay the quality of the recording. In my opinion, it's 75% of the problem.

It's not about whether someone smokes pot or not, it's about the engineer compressing the hell out of the music so it's as loud as possible, while mixing it hot to sound good on a car deck or boombox that rolls off at 6K.

I'm not saying that Axioms are perfect (what speaker is?) but when they sound great on generally-accepted good-quality recordings and don't sound so great on (generally) lesser recordings.... who you gonna blame?

And, BTW, I agree about Green Day's latest. But you're listing exceptions within the genre.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#98796 06/17/05 08:28 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

It just amazing me that anyone would remotely suggest that there is no room for improvement - with regards to anything

good point..

i was meaning more toward the implicationm that axiom needs some sort of special, fact finding team to resolve the dreaded sssssibilance issue.. i am positive there is a non-stop team of R&D, that does nothing but try and improve the speaker in general.. but, to suggest that they need to specially focus on the sibilance seemed far fetched to me.

but, i do agree, that it makes sense to have a consistent effort to strive toward speaker perfection. no arguments here.

so, from what y'all are saying, i take it the new green day is worth getting..?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#98797 06/17/05 08:30 PM
T
buff
buff
T
mdrew,

She is definitely fat. I also agree that Axiom's speakers tend to be on the hot side of neutral, but I too enjoy the hell out of them. There is no doubt they could be improved in this area. Call them accurate if you want guys, but I have heard more detailed sounding speakers that didn't exhibit sibilance on so many recordings. However, for what that tweeter costs Axiom to have made, it is unbelievably good. But come on, it has it's problems to be sure. I'm not saying she needs a crash diet, just some excercise and watch those carbs.

#98798 06/17/05 08:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
And then the fun starts... which is the better speaker, the more accurate one which shows off the sibilance more or the less accurate one which hides a bit of the sibilance but sounds pretty darned good ?

M50 posse feel free to jump in at any time

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#98799 06/17/05 08:51 PM
R
local
local
R
BigJohn, I'm just asking if they have ever thought of a different model. I'm willing to pay for things such as the sibilance to go away more often. By developing such a product, they can keep me as a customer throughout life. I can't believe I'm not alone here.

Instead, the M60s will go up to my attic for a while or perhaps to a friend while I work on soundstage, imaging, and refinement with *other* brands.

#98800 06/17/05 08:56 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Mark,
I could list a dozen other bands/groups if you wish, but I’m thinking it will be a waste of time. And Green Day is considered Alt Rock, which the vast majority of the population would consider metal. So I made no exception there. You, and others, will argue a point to no end and make exceptions to prove your points are valid. I have no desire to get into a pissing contest with you, or anyone else over opinions.

And I do not, did not downplay recordings, or how they are mastered. Read my post again, slower. Try to read it in its entirety, not just pick out pieces that you wish to disagree with.

Why not just stick to the facts? They are bright. There’s really no way around that. Call them “detailed” if that adjective rolls off your tongue better, makes no difference to me, they both have the same meaning. I’m not complaining about that fact either. However, I think there is room for improvement. That’s what R&D is all about, making things better to stay on top of your game. Axiom would be doing themselves an injustice if they choose to believe that their product can not be improved. And anyone who supports their product is also doing them an injustice by not giving them frank and honest input.

So one more time, just to make it clear….….I like my speakers. Love them actually, and will recommend them over and over again. But I will also be telling people that they may not like them depending on whether they like bright speakers or not. And, if all they listen to is Pop/Metal/Alt Rock, then they probably will not like Axioms. And I will not be telling people they won’t like them because these particular genre’s are recording badly. That is a crock of ……something stinky.

And as a disclaimer, written words of disagreement always sound harsher then they are intended. I mean no offence, if my written tone implies that. I’m more of a technical writer than a letter writer. In other words, I don’t know how to show emotion or friendly disagreement.

#98801 06/17/05 09:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>BigJohn, I'm just asking if they have ever thought of a different model.

M3/M50. Seriously. That little dip does make a difference. If someone is listening more to pop/rock (or any genre often mixed for delivery on lower quality systems) I do suggest they would be happier with M3/M50.

I do not believe that the sibilance is being generated by the speaker but small differences in frequency response do affect how much of the sibilance you hear.

>>I’m more of a technical writer than a letter writer. In other words, I don’t know how to show emotion or friendly disagreement.

Smileys are a good start

Last edited by bridgman; 06/17/05 09:01 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#98802 06/17/05 09:07 PM
R
local
local
R
Yeah bridgman perhaps the lower M's might be good. I haven't heard them save the 22s. I constantly read reviews of monitors that have the mid bass hump and the graphs to show it. The reviewer sometimes seems puzzled as to why it sounds good. Other reviewers credit the hump.

but...when I throw in a polished and scrubbed old Miles Davis lp or my Dorati, Stravinsky firebird suite 200 gm lp, I'm in love with M60s. On the latter, the dynamics are startling and on the former, well, no such sibilance on a Miles Davis trumpet. It's stuff like that makes me want to keep the M60s. :-)

#98803 06/17/05 09:24 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
riffman- the only types of axiom main speakers i have heard are the M60's, M22's, and the discontinued M1's. while i also can hear the ssibilance at times, i truly attribute it to more of the source input, then the speakers. maybe i am wrong in that sense, it wouldnt be the first time. but, i still have no doubt that axioms can be bright/detailed/forward/whatever.. but, i have always attributed that to good speakers. every speaker i have ever heard that is/was considered "top of the line", had that same SSS on the top. and it normally occured with bad or lower quality input material.

it was mentioned that sibilance was heard on the 'Aviator' movie.. i will watch it, and see if i hear it.

and to you and drew, i too mean no offense. i just type and post. so, dont think i am 'picking the scab'.

hows that bridge...

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#98804 06/17/05 10:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yes, Green Day's "American Idiot" is a well recorded disc. I don't know how to describe it, but there is this crunchy warmth to the guitars that I can't get enough of.

On another note, I own both Montior Audio GR10s and Axiom M40s--two decidedly different speakers. I am hoping to post my thoughts on both soon, just trying to get more listening in. To me, the MAs are very detailed and revealing. On the other hand, the M40s are detailed, but not to the nth degree. With the M40s, things seem a lot warmer, but I don't feel like I am missing anything in the music. The M40s allow me to crank up the music without worrying about that crispy, biting edge.

By the way, I just saw "The Aviator" a couple of days ago. Which part(s) did you notice the sibilance? I didn't really notice it, but then again, I wasn't listening for it either.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (chapin99, Cork), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup