Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Any cell phone gurus?
#99629 06/23/05 03:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Actually I can't get google maps to come up because of activeX. I haven't had the Treo long enough to get everything working yet

EDIT: Some searching on TreoCentral reveals that it's unclear why google maps doesn't show up, but it's not ActiveX (although that's the error that the Treo gives.) Anyway, mapquest comes up fine, a little more clunky to navigate that google maps, but you still get maps!

Also, gmail is quite functional through the browser, which I think is awesome. I could configure the email client to connect to it and read my email that way on the Treo, but I like that I can hook up to gmail and preserve the "conversation view"

Last edited by ringmir; 06/23/05 03:46 PM.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#99630 06/27/05 05:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The Audiovox 5600 is a great phone. Microsoft Smartphone as an OS does work well. Its actually a newer version on Windows CE.
Outside its normal functions here are some that of the thing I do with it:

VNC - remote control any PC with the VNC client
MS schedule - for my meetings at work
GPS - Microsoft Street and MAp with Bluetooth GPS locator
mp3 player - you need to have 512 megs of mini SD memory
i use it for storage - carry all my utils on it for any computer proggies
MSN messenger
Bluetooth Headset works well with it
TXT message
task switcher to kill any lingering memory hogging programs

future things I have yet to try:
MAME emulator
remote control
unix terminal
usb devices like keyboard, wifi,

thing you need to do initially:
create a LOUD ringtone and save it in storage. All standard ringtones are very quiet.
buy a clear plastic screen cover
what its missing:
WIFI

#99631 06/27/05 06:09 AM
curtis Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hey Saturn....don't go to far....I may be using you as a resource.

I have been playing with the phone this weekend a bit.....it is VERY capable. I was drawn to it because of its size vs capabilities.

Can it handle a 512mb mini SD card. I thought I read that it only supports upto 256mb.

So far, I can see myself using the task switcher/killer. I think it is odd they didn't give a way to kill a task. I have been working on designing my own home screen.

#99632 06/27/05 05:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
VNC? Very cool indeed.

#99633 06/27/05 09:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As for the 512 mini SD card working some brand work some have issues getting detected. Try to get the ones that people have tried. Theres one fella who got the 1Gig mini SD to work. I'm curious to see if my USB enclosure 40Gig external drive would work. I'll try it tonight.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/6729483382750249/

The Task killer issue is also an issue with my Dell X50v PDA. Most programs in Pocket PC do not have an exit...which is strange. Each app should have a nice exit or kill function within the app. As for the Task switcher/killer once loaded it will always stay in memory. Funny thing is that since I got this phone I have yet to pick up that Dell PDA. This phone does all that I used to do on the Dell X50v.

I usually shutdown the phone every 3 weeks. Cause if you don't it will slow down...at least MS OS are consistent that way. But if you shut it down you loose evetything that is not in your storage. So keep a copy of your customized ringtone, wallpaper in the built in storage of the phone. When you re-start your phone open up File Manager and copy it back into the Windows directory of your phone so you can select the ringtone or wallpaper from your config menu.

I did a 24 hours Mtn Bike relay race last weekend and used my phone as our campsites mp3 player hooked up to some big Altec Lansing powered speakers. People were saying like that plays mp3's that good?
You need a 2.5 to 3.5 mini plug converter to hook it up into any speaker or reciever.

oldskoolboarder:
Its freeware. It such a small client or server. I run it on all my machines. I can go anywhere in the world and run the app from any usb memory stick or even on the SD card of my Canon Camera and connect to my machines to read email, reboot servers.

The one thing I am waiting for is for a smartphone version of Skype so that I can use my Audiovox as a Voip phone and pay no and minimal long distance charges.

The new generation of phone are Voip or SIP enabled using built in wifi. Thats the only thing this phone is missing. I heard the newest generation Motorola has the Wifi called Edge and does wireless connectivity when there a wifi network available.

#99634 06/27/05 10:56 PM
curtis Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The more I have been using the phone and reading about it....I am liking it more and more!

Any suggestions on a Bluetooth headset?

#99635 06/27/05 11:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The new generation of phone are Voip or SIP enabled using built in wifi. Thats the only thing this phone is missing. I heard the newest generation Motorola has the Wifi called Edge and does wireless connectivity when there a wifi network available.

-Yes, it's the M1000. It's my company's Wifi chip inside. We're also inside the LifeDrive.

Yeah, the VNC was interesting. You got me wondering if there's a Palm version of VNC.

24 hour race? Cool, which one? I just started cyclocross last year. 40 min is enough for me...

BTW, nice pics on your website. I like the look of your loft, very Bauhaus.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 06/27/05 11:37 PM.
#99636 06/28/05 12:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh,....Part of Elantec? or Intersil?

#99637 06/28/05 03:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
curtis: I got the latest top end Motorola. Its crappy. I get issue outside of 15 feet. Next time I will try the Sony Ericson or the Nokia..or even asia market set from the computer stores.

oldskoolboarder: There are 2 major Palm versions

http://www.btinternet.com/~harakan/PalmVNC/

http://palmvnc2.free.fr/

This is the 24 HR. race I do 2 times a year.

http://www.chicoracing.com/index.php

Great info on the Motorola. Yeah that the model I was looking at. The only weird thing was that you would need to open the keyboard to get full QWERTY. Kinda funny key placement. Also I believe the Audiovox had a better screen layout and size.

Thanks. I actually bought another bigger loft which wont be ready till end of 2006 because my speakers were too big for my current place. Don't laugh. My current room with my gear is really only 16x11 which is kinda cramped for the number of people who are always over to watch movies. The new loft will have a room that is 25x23 for my equipment...which is small in comparison to a basement setup but pretty big for a nice downtown toronto posh loft. Luckily enough I got into the loft housing market early and my property has risen since then.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup